RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked key shell casing - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 09:15 AM
donberto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Lexus 2003 LS430 key shell

2/8/2014

Today I received two new shells with the key cut from Remote4less. I sent them the 5 digit code from my car and they cut the blade. The cuts were included in the $24. It works for me.

Donberto
Old 02-10-14, 10:37 AM
JWRussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damon
JW Russell,
Your search lead me to 1010keys out of San Fran. Is this correct?
That is the one, they sent it to me right away no problems!!
Old 02-10-14, 07:41 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I had excellent luck with them, also!
Old 02-10-14, 08:09 PM
tman1352
Driver School Candidate

Default Go to Ebay for key shell.

I had the same problem and got a key shell with a blank key for about $4 on Ebay. It is easy to switch over the interior piece, no programming is required. You have to get the key blank cut. If anyone knows where I can get that done in Coral Springs/Tamarac Florida I would appreciate the info. All the best and let me know how you made out.
Old 02-10-14, 11:18 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by tman1352
I had the same problem and got a key shell with a blank key for about $4 on Ebay. It is easy to switch over the interior piece, no programming is required. You have to get the key blank cut. If anyone knows where I can get that done in Coral Springs/Tamarac Florida I would appreciate the info. All the best and let me know how you made out.
Call your local dealer parts, they might cut the key for you. They may refuse and insist that you buy the key blank from them. You can try local locksmiths too.

Salim
Old 02-11-14, 04:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tman1352
If you need to call locksmiths, make sure they can cut sidewinder keys. If they can't, don't bother wasting your time going there as they won't be able to cut it.
Old 02-17-14, 05:55 PM
tman1352
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for your responses. I have already transferred the electronics part and will visit a dealer to get it cut, now that I have a ball park for the cost, when I have the time. It is my spare key.
Old 02-20-14, 10:49 AM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing keys

So, I just broke my second (original) key shell. Plastic snapped right above the metal shaft.

Is there a consensus on the best way to get a new key for an RX300? I was going to go to the dealer and buy a blank key ($10), have them cut it ($25), and then witch out the electronics myself.

I've seen that you can order already cut keys. Has anyone tried that? Is it less expensive?

David
Old 02-20-14, 05:44 PM
tman1352
Driver School Candidate

Default Key case Rx300

I bought a key case with blank key on Ebay for $3.95 including shipping. The electronics are very easy to transfer and don't require reprogramming. An instruction leaflet was inside but I did not need it. This is a spare key so I have not had a chance to cut it yet. $10. from the dealer is ok though and you could get it all done at the same time. Hope it all works out.
Old 03-11-14, 03:41 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

There is FINALLY a better replacement key that provides a lifetime warranty - it's called the Eternity Key. It's cheaper than Lexus OEM products and stronger than anything on the market. Get info at www.eternitykey.com- check under ORDER to see where you can purchase it - or ask your dealer! You will never have to buy another key again!
Old 03-12-14, 10:17 AM
HadYurPhil
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is it?
Old 04-05-14, 04:46 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

There is finally a solution to the Lexus broken key problem!! The best replacement on the market is called the Eternity Key. The others break and its costly to replace over and over. The Eternity Key is made of military grade materials, stronger than anything on the market, and has a lifetime warranty. Available at Lexus dealers or see www.eternitykey.com for dealers.
Old 04-07-14, 07:21 AM
HadYurPhil
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignoring my question of how much is it...
Old 04-07-14, 10:06 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by HadYurPhil
Ignoring my question of how much is it...
At times it is intentional ... like prices can change and the reseller establishes the price etc

Visit the website or call dealer is the best suggestion I can make.

Salim
Old 04-16-14, 03:13 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Default Replacement key

Originally Posted by Stemmer
The original fob key shell for my '99 RX has separated, I have the key. Currently I am using the back up valet key but obviously I want this fixed. What is the best way? Dealer? Here is a company I found through an internet search - sounds like $15 for the shell and $30 for key shell cutting (which I don't really understand but assume it's to fit the key in the casing)http://www.autotransponder.com/1999_...key_shell_case

Anyone have this issue before? Any advice? Thank you in advance.
If you want a key that wont ever break on you go to your Lexus dealer and ask for our Eternity Key. It is a stronger tougher key made of military grade materials, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Go to www.eternitykey.com click on the video tab and you will see what I mean. Ask for it by name Eternity Key

Quick Reply: Cracked key shell casing - help needed