RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked key shell casing - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 10:57 PM
wdb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a little update, seems there are original Denso keys, but plenty of chinese junk copies.
Old 06-29-14, 03:26 AM
wdb
Driver School Candidate

update #2: there a 3(!) types of key shells — one with text under logo, one with a sticker under logo and one with just logo. all OEM. picked the last one.
Old 06-29-14, 06:03 PM
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. missing backup key: $5 delivered. Cuttiing/programming $75 at Lexus

Now my daily use key just broke... just the plastic case... and it appears that we can't just replace the plastic. I will carefully avoid the module and gorilla clue the case. Nothing to lose really. If not, I may just see what deal the dealer will give me. Somebody above mentioned cutting for $15? DEAL.
Old 06-30-14, 05:49 AM
HadYurPhil
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came from 1010keys. It says Denso and looks like the real thing. And it's solidly made. Check them... They might have just the plastic piece.
Old 06-30-14, 08:30 PM
wdb
Driver School Candidate

yes, have a look at these:
quality of plastic
screw
text under the logo (there is a version w/o though)
quality of metal
"lock" and "unlock" should look perfect, not vague
should come in OEM toyota bag with part number

haven't found anything OEM less $40 for just the shell on ebay.
Old 07-01-14, 03:50 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by raymcgill
Same here. missing backup key: $5 delivered. Cuttiing/programming $75 at Lexus

Now my daily use key just broke... just the plastic case... and it appears that we can't just replace the plastic. I will carefully avoid the module and gorilla clue the case. Nothing to lose really. If not, I may just see what deal the dealer will give me. Somebody above mentioned cutting for $15? DEAL.
If you broke the portion in which the metal blade is molded/glued in then you have to get a new key. If it the cover (the other piece) your local Lexus parts may have a spare one.

On the same thought, if any one has the cover left over, please offer it our 'pay it forward'.

If any one purchased the Eternity Key, please post your reviews. Vendor is CL sponsor and we should give them priority over others.

Salim
Old 07-01-14, 08:25 AM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Salim, I purchased two Eternity Keys in May and my daughter is loving hers in her 2001 RX & I'm enjoying mine in my 2002 RX. They are very strong!! I can't imagine them ever breaking. If you have ever had your Lexus key break while starting your car or locking the trunk for valet parking, you know you never feel really comfortable using your Lexus brand key again. I have broken one of the 2001 RX keys starting it, and recently broke one of the 2002 RX keys locking the trunk. This uneasy feeling is something I don't have anymore. These are solid keys, with no give.

I purchased these two Eternity Keys (precut remote shells) from SewellParts.com and with Club Lexus discount they were $69.56 each plus shipping. Part # is 89070EKS and comes up as SHORT ETERNITY KEY C. Directions on getting them precut by Sewell are in the checkout. Basically I took a photo of my drivers license and my auto insurance card listing the two RX300 VINs and emailed it to Sewell. You may also fax it if you prefer.

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy the original Lexus key. If you have one and it hasn't broken yet, use it as your second key. Buy a stronger key like the Eternity Key and use it as your main key.

Last edited by jimbug; 07-01-14 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 06:02 AM
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap Fix

The cost isn't fixing the case, but getting the new key cut...
I superglued the case. works again. While its apart, replace the battery.
Old 07-07-14, 09:06 AM
jimbug
Driver

For the $69 cost of the key Sewell cuts the key for you. Just take the remote out of your old key and put it in the new Eternity Key. No additional cost or trouble to get key cut. It ships from Sewell cut to your RX300.
Old 08-05-14, 06:28 PM
ES300CTY
Driver School Candidate

Hey my key just recently broke as well. The case is broken and the key is separated from the key hub. Btw I have a 1996 es300. Is there any place that i can go to ; to purchase a new key hub for my key without costing too much? More Specifically can i purchase the plastic case and just transfer the insides and my key to the new case?

Last edited by ES300CTY; 08-05-14 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-08-14, 01:54 PM
lexus4us
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HadYurPhil
Mine came from 1010keys. It says Denso and looks like the real thing. And it's solidly made. Check them... They might have just the plastic piece.
I ordered from them recently. Fast and worked like a charm.
Gave them my key code and a nice pic of the key itself. Turnaround time was 4-5 days
Old 08-08-14, 02:51 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Avoid the cheap keys that continue to break and leave you stranded. The Eternity Key is the last replacement key you will ever need to buy. Made using military grade materials with a patented one-piece design, it is manufactured in the USA and has a lifetime warranty too. Available at select Lexus dealerships - visit www.eternitykey.com for a list of dealers - or contact us directly!
Old 08-27-14, 11:07 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimbug
Salim, I purchased two Eternity Keys in May and my daughter is loving hers in her 2001 RX & I'm enjoying mine in my 2002 RX. They are very strong!! I can't imagine them ever breaking. If you have ever had your Lexus key break while starting your car or locking the trunk for valet parking, you know you never feel really comfortable using your Lexus brand key again. I have broken one of the 2001 RX keys starting it, and recently broke one of the 2002 RX keys locking the trunk. This uneasy feeling is something I don't have anymore. These are solid keys, with no give.

I purchased these two Eternity Keys (precut remote shells) from SewellParts.com and with Club Lexus discount they were $69.56 each plus shipping. Part # is 89070EKS and comes up as SHORT ETERNITY KEY C. Directions on getting them precut by Sewell are in the checkout. Basically I took a photo of my drivers license and my auto insurance card listing the two RX300 VINs and emailed it to Sewell. You may also fax it if you prefer.

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy the original Lexus key. If you have one and it hasn't broken yet, use it as your second key. Buy a stronger key like the Eternity Key and use it as your main key.

I followed your instructions ordering the eternity key and had similar good results.

Thanks for posting this info.

Alan
Old 08-28-14, 12:03 PM
jimbug
Driver

Your welcome Alan. Love the eternity key, and it's so convenient to order online from Sewell.
Old 10-08-14, 03:00 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

We love the positive feedback on the Eternity Key - and we hope to solve the broken key issue for all Lexus owners! Eternity Key will soon be launching versions for Honda, Toyota, GM, etc. It's the closest thing to indestructible that you can find, and with a lifetime warranty, it's the last key you will ever buy. www.eternitykey.com

Quick Reply: Cracked key shell casing - help needed