Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Cracked key shell casing - help needed

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-14, 10:57 PM   #61
wdb
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
wdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 9
Default

a little update, seems there are original Denso keys, but plenty of chinese junk copies.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
wdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 03:26 AM   #62
wdb
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
wdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 9
Default

update #2: there a 3(!) types of key shells — one with text under logo, one with a sticker under logo and one with just logo. all OEM. picked the last one.
wdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 06:03 PM   #63
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
raymcgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 2
Default

Same here. missing backup key: $5 delivered. Cuttiing/programming $75 at Lexus

Now my daily use key just broke... just the plastic case... and it appears that we can't just replace the plastic. I will carefully avoid the module and gorilla clue the case. Nothing to lose really. If not, I may just see what deal the dealer will give me. Somebody above mentioned cutting for $15? DEAL.
raymcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 05:49 AM   #64
HadYurPhil
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 75
Default

Mine came from 1010keys. It says Denso and looks like the real thing. And it's solidly made. Check them... They might have just the plastic piece.
HadYurPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 08:30 PM   #65
wdb
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
wdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 9
Default

yes, have a look at these:
quality of plastic
screw
text under the logo (there is a version w/o though)
quality of metal
"lock" and "unlock" should look perfect, not vague
should come in OEM toyota bag with part number

haven't found anything OEM less $40 for just the shell on ebay.
wdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 03:50 AM   #66
salimshah
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymcgill View Post
Same here. missing backup key: $5 delivered. Cuttiing/programming $75 at Lexus

Now my daily use key just broke... just the plastic case... and it appears that we can't just replace the plastic. I will carefully avoid the module and gorilla clue the case. Nothing to lose really. If not, I may just see what deal the dealer will give me. Somebody above mentioned cutting for $15? DEAL.
If you broke the portion in which the metal blade is molded/glued in then you have to get a new key. If it the cover (the other piece) your local Lexus parts may have a spare one.

On the same thought, if any one has the cover left over, please offer it our 'pay it forward'.

If any one purchased the Eternity Key, please post your reviews. Vendor is CL sponsor and we should give them priority over others.

Salim
salimshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 08:25 AM   #67
jimbug
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jimbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TN
Posts: 68
Default

Salim, I purchased two Eternity Keys in May and my daughter is loving hers in her 2001 RX & I'm enjoying mine in my 2002 RX. They are very strong!! I can't imagine them ever breaking. If you have ever had your Lexus key break while starting your car or locking the trunk for valet parking, you know you never feel really comfortable using your Lexus brand key again. I have broken one of the 2001 RX keys starting it, and recently broke one of the 2002 RX keys locking the trunk. This uneasy feeling is something I don't have anymore. These are solid keys, with no give.

I purchased these two Eternity Keys (precut remote shells) from SewellParts.com and with Club Lexus discount they were $69.56 each plus shipping. Part # is 89070EKS and comes up as SHORT ETERNITY KEY C. Directions on getting them precut by Sewell are in the checkout. Basically I took a photo of my drivers license and my auto insurance card listing the two RX300 VINs and emailed it to Sewell. You may also fax it if you prefer.

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy the original Lexus key. If you have one and it hasn't broken yet, use it as your second key. Buy a stronger key like the Eternity Key and use it as your main key.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jimbug; 07-01-14 at 09:01 AM..
jimbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 06:02 AM   #68
raymcgill
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
raymcgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 2
Default Cheap Fix

The cost isn't fixing the case, but getting the new key cut...
I superglued the case. works again. While its apart, replace the battery.
raymcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 09:06 AM   #69
jimbug
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jimbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TN
Posts: 68
Default

For the $69 cost of the key Sewell cuts the key for you. Just take the remote out of your old key and put it in the new Eternity Key. No additional cost or trouble to get key cut. It ships from Sewell cut to your RX300.
jimbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 06:28 PM   #70
ES300CTY
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: GA
Posts: 5
Default

Hey my key just recently broke as well. The case is broken and the key is separated from the key hub. Btw I have a 1996 es300. Is there any place that i can go to ; to purchase a new key hub for my key without costing too much? More Specifically can i purchase the plastic case and just transfer the insides and my key to the new case?

Last edited by ES300CTY; 08-05-14 at 06:31 PM..
ES300CTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:54 PM   #71
lexus4us
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
lexus4us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadYurPhil View Post
Mine came from 1010keys. It says Denso and looks like the real thing. And it's solidly made. Check them... They might have just the plastic piece.
I ordered from them recently. Fast and worked like a charm.
Gave them my key code and a nice pic of the key itself. Turnaround time was 4-5 days
__________________
Lexus4us
2001 Rx 300 AWD
lexus4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 02:51 PM   #72
Eternity Key
Premium Sponsor
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 91
https://www.facebook.com/EternityKey
Default

Avoid the cheap keys that continue to break and leave you stranded. The Eternity Key is the last replacement key you will ever need to buy. Made using military grade materials with a patented one-piece design, it is manufactured in the USA and has a lifetime warranty too. Available at select Lexus dealerships - visit www.eternitykey.com for a list of dealers - or contact us directly!
Eternity Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 11:07 AM   #73
alanchad
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ga
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbug View Post
Salim, I purchased two Eternity Keys in May and my daughter is loving hers in her 2001 RX & I'm enjoying mine in my 2002 RX. They are very strong!! I can't imagine them ever breaking. If you have ever had your Lexus key break while starting your car or locking the trunk for valet parking, you know you never feel really comfortable using your Lexus brand key again. I have broken one of the 2001 RX keys starting it, and recently broke one of the 2002 RX keys locking the trunk. This uneasy feeling is something I don't have anymore. These are solid keys, with no give.

I purchased these two Eternity Keys (precut remote shells) from SewellParts.com and with Club Lexus discount they were $69.56 each plus shipping. Part # is 89070EKS and comes up as SHORT ETERNITY KEY C. Directions on getting them precut by Sewell are in the checkout. Basically I took a photo of my drivers license and my auto insurance card listing the two RX300 VINs and emailed it to Sewell. You may also fax it if you prefer.

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy the original Lexus key. If you have one and it hasn't broken yet, use it as your second key. Buy a stronger key like the Eternity Key and use it as your main key.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
I followed your instructions ordering the eternity key and had similar good results.

Thanks for posting this info.

Alan
alanchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 12:03 PM   #74
jimbug
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
jimbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TN
Posts: 68
Default

Your welcome Alan. Love the eternity key, and it's so convenient to order online from Sewell.
jimbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 12:03 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
03, broken, car, case, casing, cracked, cutting, falling, fob, is300, key, keys, lexus, plastic, shell

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extra Key shell Code 46073 tz693 GX - First Generation 0 08-12-14 05:34 PM
Key shell keeps breaking handzilla GS - Second Generation 46 05-20-14 01:33 PM
TX FS:Lexus Programmable Wallet Key and Pre-cut Flip Key Fob Replacement Shell black04GS 2Gen GS430 / 400/ 300 Classifieds (98-05) 2 03-29-14 12:34 AM
'05 ES330 Replacement Key... RSpi ES300 and ES330 5 10-15-12 06:23 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info