RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 08:23 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalali
You might as well get a couple of those $20 coils and have a spare. You'll need it.
Maybe.. its only a day or two away in California if I do need more. Thought about getting 6 of them and replacing them all but you know the old saying.."if it isn't broke, don't fix it".
The following users liked this post:
MontereyJa (10-10-20)
Old 09-16-14, 03:33 PM
bobschultz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2000 RX with 157,000 miles. No real maintenance issues other than normal items plus the drivers window switch which I replaced with a used one. Timing belt was replaced at 80,000 miles so wondering if this needs to be replaced again. Many have said that Toyota over designed the belts and not to worry. I believe the cost to repair at a IND is about $1000 including the WP, etc while you are in there. No issues with the tranny or coils.
Old 09-16-14, 04:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bobschultz
We have a 2000 RX with 157,000 miles. No real maintenance issues other than normal items plus the drivers window switch which I replaced with a used one. Timing belt was replaced at 80,000 miles so wondering if this needs to be replaced again. Many have said that Toyota over designed the belts and not to worry. I believe the cost to repair at a IND is about $1000 including the WP, etc while you are in there. No issues with the tranny or coils.
Yes, you should replace it soon (~15k miles). Yes, the belt is very strong and it likely won't break anytime soon, however it isn't worth the risk.
Old 10-18-14, 07:33 PM
BCC
Driver School Candidate

Greetings...first post here.

2004 RX330, 148k miles. 2nd owner -- bought in pristine condition in early '05 with 22k miles, Lexus certified. Absolute best vehicle I've ever owned. Haven't had a single issue with it other than a slow transmission leak first noticed a couple years ago (dealer recommends keeping an eye on the fluid level, but doesn't think it's bad enough to tear into at this point). Wife is primary driver, and also responsible for its two trips to the body shop.

I do most all of the maintenance myself (and stick closely to the schedule), but leave major things like timing belts to the dealer. Been running Mobil 1 since about 30k miles, and change every 5k.

After the last fender bender about 6 months ago, I gave some thought to replacing it with a newer RX...until I came to my senses. Why? It runs great, it gets excellent mileage for an SUV, it honestly drives as nicely as it did 120k miles ago, and it's long since been paid for. Has a couple door dings in it, but the old paint is just as shiny and glossy as the new paint, and the interior still looks pretty awesome for an 11 year old vehicle. And even if I have to shell out some dollars on the transmission in the future, I'm still way ahead financially.

I do know that whenever I finally decide to replace it, it will be with another Lexus.

Bill .
Old 10-23-14, 06:00 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up a 2000 RX300 with 166,xxx miles on it from my parents. New Tranny & transfer case. Just ordered new headlights last night, need to replace the "D" bulb in the dash, & fix the squeaky steering wheel. Coming from a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with the V8, but this thing drives & rides pretty sweet!

Last edited by snorander; 10-23-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-25-14, 02:57 AM
dennismtyl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 500,000 Miles on my 99 RX300 is less tha 400 miles away.

I own a 1999 RX300. I just watched it roll past 499,600 miles. This has been the most dependable and trouble free automobile I have owned. Since I am 66 years young I can say I have owned many automobiles. If I had to have any vehicle in retirement Lexus is the brand I would choose. After seeing my SSI income benefit I will not be buying a new one. That old saying being in the right place at the right time is how I feel about my RX.
JosiM (07-07-19)
Old 10-25-14, 05:15 AM
pilot2
Rookie

Originally Posted by dennismtyl
I own a 1999 RX300. I just watched it roll past 499,600 miles. This has been the most dependable and trouble free automobile I have owned. Since I am 66 years young I can say I have owned many automobiles. If I had to have any vehicle in retirement Lexus is the brand I would choose. After seeing my SSI income benefit I will not be buying a new one. That old saying being in the right place at the right time is how I feel about my RX.
What has been your engine and transmission oil change intervals and type oil/fluids? Any other nuances to your maintenance regime that you would like to share for those envious of someone reaching 499K miles?
Old 10-30-14, 09:50 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I have a 2000 RX300 AWD, with 170k miles. No major repairs, ever! Only "major" repair was the timing belt which I had done part of the contract when I bought the car, and I wouldn't consider that major or a repair. LOL. It has the original transmission as well. It run's great! I plan on passing this car on to my dad, and he'll be using it till the wheels fall off. < trust me on that... LOL He travels 100 miles per day, so I'm sure he'll rack the miles up like crazy, that's the reason why he usually drives beaters.

My uncle has a 1999 RX300 AWD with ~380k miles. He bought it new, he's the only owner. He hasn't had any major repairs, either. He's done the timing belt twice, no pulley's or anything have been replaced. Original transmission too. Run's like a champ! He expects it to make it to 500k without any issues. It still only burns 1/4 qt of oil in 5000 miles. So, he never fills up during oil changes, because it's still pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick. Gotta' love Toyota's!!
That rx your uncle has with 380,000 miles on it; that is AMAZING!!!!; If that right there isnt a testament to Toyota quality; i dont know what it!!!. I currently have a 2000 rx 300 that I bought used from a used car lot here; and the only thing is they dont know when the last major services were done; but; we had it inspected at a lexus dealer before we officially bought it and everything seemed up to snuff according to the service tech that did the inspection. mine had about 107,220 miles approx. when i first drove it off the lot; it now has a tad over 110,000 and runs excellent. It seems whoever had it previously took very good care of it. The only think i discovered i dont like about lexus is their maintenance services are $$$$!!!!. especially when it comes to doing something like the timing belt and or any other services of the like. I live in a place where i dont have the facilities or the tools to do stuff like that; otherwise i would try and do it myself. But that aside; all seems good for now. I hope for it to last me up to a year or longer all depending on when I am able to start earning some extra income etc.
Old 10-30-14, 10:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matts6887
That rx your uncle has with 380,000 miles on it; that is AMAZING!!!!; If that right there isnt a testament to Toyota quality; i dont know what it!!!. I currently have a 2000 rx 300 that I bought used from a used car lot here; and the only thing is they dont know when the last major services were done; but; we had it inspected at a lexus dealer before we officially bought it and everything seemed up to snuff according to the service tech that did the inspection. mine had about 107,220 miles approx. when i first drove it off the lot; it now has a tad over 110,000 and runs excellent. It seems whoever had it previously took very good care of it. The only think i discovered i dont like about lexus is their maintenance services are $$$$!!!!. especially when it comes to doing something like the timing belt and or any other services of the like. I live in a place where i dont have the facilities or the tools to do stuff like that; otherwise i would try and do it myself. But that aside; all seems good for now. I hope for it to last me up to a year or longer all depending on when I am able to start earning some extra income etc.
Yeah, it's amazing! He's north of 400k miles now. He doesn't drive it much now, it's his beater now. Get's used during the winter when the roads are practically made out of salt.
Old 10-30-14, 05:16 PM
jusnick987
5th Gear

I just hit 222k on mine. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I hope to reach 500k on it.
Old 10-30-14, 05:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jusnick987
I just hit 222k on mine. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I hope to reach 500k on it.
Welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 10-30-14, 10:07 PM
jusnick987
5th Gear

Thanks. Since I bought my car, this forum has a lot of helpful advice.
Old 10-31-14, 06:49 AM
BoatmanLim
Driver School Candidate

Default Guys please give me some advice

Hi Guys I bought my car RX 2 years ago at mileage 79000 km. currently now to date its at 146000km. as i have never did a major service since then. I was recommended to do a waterpump and fan belt change. although it still looks new. was recommended to get own parts to the workshop
here are the following items i purchased.

Fan Belt
Water Pump
Fan Belt Tensioner
Water Pump Pulley
Coolant
Crankshaft Oil Seal
thermostat
O ring

Is there any other parts that i missed out.I was wondering if i should get the hoses too.

I also noticed that my top right engine mounting has cracked.
so i purchased that piece to changed too.

please give advice

Last edited by BoatmanLim; 10-31-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-31-14, 08:02 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by jusnick987
I wouldnt be surprised if it does reach 500,000!. All ya need to do is think of 1 word: Toyota!. That one word should say something in and of itself
Old 10-31-14, 08:08 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by dennismtyl
All I can say is holy cow!!!. almost 500,000!!!. THAT!....is just amazing!!!!...but again I will say its a testament to Toyota quality! You could practically run a Toyota/Lexus into the ground so to speak and thing would probably still run!(not that I would tell anyone to do that but just saying)
JosiM (07-07-19)

Quick Reply: High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!