RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 05:40 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!

Let's see how long the RX lasts. If you've driven yours a while, post the year of your RX, how many miles, and any major work you've had to have done. I plan to drive mine for at least 10 years.
The following users liked this post:
JosiM (07-07-19)
Old 11-16-11, 05:46 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I meant to put this in the 1st generation section. Is there a way to move the thread?
Old 11-16-11, 08:34 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 Lexus RX 300 ...

Bought it from a private owner 4 months ago at 173,360 miles and now it has 176,093 miles.

Carfax report states I'm the 3rd owner.

1st owner - 0 miles - 41,000 miles
2nd owner - 41,000 miles - 173,360 miles.
3rd owner (me) - 173,360 to current.

Carfax report also states no major work has been done aside from timing belt change @ 117,000 miles.

I should also note its the original transmission as well. Hope it'll last me for the next 3-4 years for college (currently 18 years old) ...

so yeah, lol.
Old 11-17-11, 03:44 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a 2000 RX300 AWD, with 170k miles. No major repairs, ever! Only "major" repair was the timing belt which I had done part of the contract when I bought the car, and I wouldn't consider that major or a repair. LOL. It has the original transmission as well. It run's great! I plan on passing this car on to my dad, and he'll be using it till the wheels fall off. < trust me on that... LOL He travels 100 miles per day, so I'm sure he'll rack the miles up like crazy, that's the reason why he usually drives beaters.

My uncle has a 1999 RX300 AWD with ~380k miles. He bought it new, he's the only owner. He hasn't had any major repairs, either. He's done the timing belt twice, no pulley's or anything have been replaced. Original transmission too. Run's like a champ! He expects it to make it to 500k without any issues. It still only burns 1/4 qt of oil in 5000 miles. So, he never fills up during oil changes, because it's still pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick. Gotta' love Toyota's!!
The following users liked this post:
MontereyJa (10-10-20)
Old 11-17-11, 05:20 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ownership.html
This is what I think you are looking for. A search in this forum will give you lots of answers.
Old 11-23-11, 08:30 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have a 1999 RX300 FWD, just hit 180,000 miles a few days ago. I have had the car since around 100,000. Had a trany rebuild at about 110,000 miles, just had all 4 struts (kyb) replaced, have all kinds of audio equipment added, and going to be doing a few more maintenance items coming up.
Old 11-27-11, 09:55 AM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2000 rx300

Bought the 2000 RX300 with 112,000 miles on it... 4 months and 4000 miles later, a connecting rod bearing disintegrated and I needed a complete engine rebuild. I am now bored .020 over and the engine runs like a champ...(I will only run Mobil 1- TriSynthetic in this engine...they're known to the mechanic community as the "sludge-bucket" engine). Now, the exhaust is leaking at several points and the rear brakes are frozen up. I have cleaned up the front brakes; next weekend I am doing the rears: need to replace the rotors and will have to wait and see what the calipers are going to require... hopefully nothing more than the fronts, wherein I pulled the pins, cleaned and lubed them (one of the pins was frozen up, but with plenty of liquid wrench and personal effort I was able to get it loose) and am good to go with the fronts again!
I will be posting a couple of questions in an exhaust forum in a few minutes.
Old 11-27-11, 12:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BearsLexus
Bought the 2000 RX300 with 112,000 miles on it... 4 months and 4000 miles later, a connecting rod bearing disintegrated and I needed a complete engine rebuild. I am now bored .020 over and the engine runs like a champ...(I will only run Mobil 1- TriSynthetic in this engine...they're known to the mechanic community as the "sludge-bucket" engine). Now, the exhaust is leaking at several points and the rear brakes are frozen up. I have cleaned up the front brakes; next weekend I am doing the rears: need to replace the rotors and will have to wait and see what the calipers are going to require... hopefully nothing more than the fronts, wherein I pulled the pins, cleaned and lubed them (one of the pins was frozen up, but with plenty of liquid wrench and personal effort I was able to get it loose) and am good to go with the fronts again!
I will be posting a couple of questions in an exhaust forum in a few minutes.
I am actually redoing my pins again with new rubber dust boots (on the caliper and the slide pins). I couldn't tell until I looked close up on a few other areas to see some rips. I didn't take the calipers fully out, just enough so I can get the dust boot on with the ring, but did clean the part of the piston exposed.

When those little rubber dust boots on the slide pins go bad, they can also cause those slide pins to move slowly (usually because they lose their accordion shape and kind of hold the slide pin in place than letting it flex).

I'd also like to replace my rotors, but got some other maintenance items to pay for before I do that (but machining those suckers in Mexico worked like a charm and except for some rust they run just fine).

I should be posting some pictures hopefully tomorrow (and god willing to keep rain away) after I finish working on my brakes.
Old 11-28-11, 03:17 PM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I am actually redoing my pins again with new rubber dust boots (on the caliper and the slide pins). I couldn't tell until I looked close up on a few other areas to see some rips. I didn't take the calipers fully out, just enough so I can get the dust boot on with the ring, but did clean the part of the piston exposed.

When those little rubber dust boots on the slide pins go bad, they can also cause those slide pins to move slowly (usually because they lose their accordion shape and kind of hold the slide pin in place than letting it flex).

I'd also like to replace my rotors, but got some other maintenance items to pay for before I do that (but machining those suckers in Mexico worked like a charm and except for some rust they run just fine).

I should be posting some pictures hopefully tomorrow (and god willing to keep rain away) after I finish working on my brakes.
Good Deal! Love to see the pics...The rubbers on mine are in decent shape, not great though. The rubbers on mine appear to be permanently attached to the caliper mount in some way... Some day I want to replace the mounts so I will have new rubbers, but for the time being, I just WD-40-ed them and cleaned out the pin receptors with a bottle brush and cleaner. Cleaned all rust off the pins with a wire wheel on the bench grinder, and primered all the exposed areas. Relubed everything, put the pins back in, and everything is so nice!
One thing I have noticed is that the RX is kicking in the anti-locks for a split second occationally when I am slowing gently, just before I reach full stop. Weirdly, it doesn't happen when I brake hard. I figure it has to do with the rears which still need the rebuild. I figure that if it is still happening after I fix up the rears and bleed the system, then I will figure that one out.
Old 11-28-11, 06:08 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Bought my 1999 RX300 In November of 1998.....new....drove till I sold it in March of this year...mileage 187k miles....Only major was tranny at 101k miles......moved on to RX400h which now has 103k miles...bought new to me second owner at 87k miles...
Old 11-29-11, 07:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BearsLexus
Good Deal! Love to see the pics...The rubbers on mine are in decent shape, not great though. The rubbers on mine appear to be permanently attached to the caliper mount in some way... Some day I want to replace the mounts so I will have new rubbers, but for the time being, I just WD-40-ed them and cleaned out the pin receptors with a bottle brush and cleaner. Cleaned all rust off the pins with a wire wheel on the bench grinder, and primered all the exposed areas. Relubed everything, put the pins back in, and everything is so nice!
One thing I have noticed is that the RX is kicking in the anti-locks for a split second occationally when I am slowing gently, just before I reach full stop. Weirdly, it doesn't happen when I brake hard. I figure it has to do with the rears which still need the rebuild. I figure that if it is still happening after I fix up the rears and bleed the system, then I will figure that one out.
I got the front brakes done. The caliper boot on the passenger side was in rotten shape. I still have to get to the rears, but won't be able to do that until tomorrow and then I have to bleed the brakes as of course everything is soft right now. I have had my ABS disconnected. I used to have issues with it jerking under 5 mph on a stop and just said to hell with it, it brakes so much better without it and was wonderful when I used to bracket racing (had just the right tough when I had to use the brakes).
Old 11-29-11, 02:26 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 RX 300. Original Owner. 180,000. Replaced the transmission (of course) at 105,000. Replaced the brakes. Other than changing the oil and transmission fluid, I haven't done anything else. The right passenger door doesn't respond to the automatic door opener.
Old 12-02-11, 08:17 AM
alanbussey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded a "99 RX with 141k. in 11/2010. All recommended maint. done. only had 3 sets of tires bridg - 28k, mich 55k each. satisfaction led to trading for a 2020 RX 350 that we like almost as much as the old one
Old 12-02-11, 01:25 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

1999 RX300. Original owner. Now at 197K. Transmission at about 115K.
Old 12-03-11, 11:04 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

My 99 has 182k miles with normal maintenance items performed mostly by myself. I have done my brakes myself a few times which is fairly straight forward job. I have the original tranny and based on the reports from others, I must be lucky (so far). My first DTC light came on recently. Frankly, I was wondering if the darn OBDII thing was working since I have never had a newer vehicle that was as reliable as the RX. With help from this board I got that diagnosed and fixed.

Quick Reply: High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!