RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx300 suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 08:58 PM
Garrych
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx300 suspension issues

Hiya guys,Im a newbie on this site and I really need some help with the suspension issues in my Rx300.
The thing is that I have a lexus in India and as there are no lexus service centers there I'm having trouble getting to know the cause of a major clunking noise coming from the rear suspension.
My local mechanic there told me that the "arms"need to be changed but he doesnt know which ones and as i live in Canada now I'm having a hard time understanding what parts he needs.
Could you guys let me know what parts should be replaced to get rid of the noise and the part numbers aswell.
Cause i will be sending the parts from here I plan to send anything and everything that could cause the problem.I know its not the struts.
Also is the sway bar the same as the "arm"(that's what he has been telling me) and how many might i need.
Its the rear suspension of a 1999 rx300 fwd.Its just done 50,000 KMS but because the roads are pretty bad there the suspension wears out quick.
And the last time i checked there was a noise coming from the steering cross member in the footwell,what is the part number for that as I cant find it online
I would appreciate all the help I can get and would be grateful if someone could post a diagram of the rear suspension setup.
Cheers
Old 11-09-11, 05:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I've been to India 4 times so far, and the roads are terrible. I still can't understand how car's survive, as long as they do. Also, to be honest, I wouldn't really trust any shop in India, or at least the part I was in Gujarat. I walked past a few shops, when I was there and jeez what the hell were they doing. I can't say much about there stupidity, as I myself am Indian, but still they get me thinking sometimes. LOL

The clunking noise, could be from the strut mounts. I don't believe there are any "arms" back there, the front has control arms but I'm fairly certain the rear does not. Another thing to check is if the sway bar, is still intact, and that no rocks have stuck themselves between it and another object. Check to see if it is bent. You should probably have the stabilizer links checked out as well, to make sure they aren't bent, because I wouldn't put it past that happening after seeing some of the roads there.

What type of noise is coming from the steering? Does it come at a standstill, or does the vehicle have to be moving?
Old 11-09-11, 04:24 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Hyper... Strut mounts, especially the rears, wear out and make a clunking noise over bumps. That's been my experience on "good" (maybe by comparison to those in India) roads of southern and central California. I just recently had all the struts and strut mounts replaced because I thought they were all worn at 140,000 miles, but on inspection, it was just the mounts that were worn. It was not the first time for several of the mounts. There are recommendations on this site ("search keyword strut mounts?") to replace with OEM mounts. Good luck!
Old 11-10-11, 06:26 PM
Garrych
Driver School Candidate

I have ordered most of the parts but now im confused between two parts which seem similar.
Are the Sway bars different from the Stabilizer bars or are they the same parts.
Old 11-14-11, 12:45 PM
gigapipe2
Driver School Candidate

Can your mechanic friend take digital pictures and point out which one is no good?

Just an idea