RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Weird Vibration when Letting off Gas between 60-70 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 12:53 PM
boatracer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Vibration when Letting off Gas between 60-70 MPH

I have a strange problem when I am going around 70 MPH and start going down a hill - If I just let off the gas and don't hit the brake or anything I get a vibration/shaking in the car between 60-70 MPH - as soon as I drop below 60 MPH the vibration/shaking goes away. I don't get it in the steering wheel but feel it in the car. I had the tires and alignment checked and they say they are all okay. Could this we a start of a drivetrain or transmission problem? I only get it when going down a steep hill between 60-70 MPH and let off the load of the car.

Haven't taken it to Lexus yet to get it checked out but planning on it. I just turned 100K on the car and it has been doing this since about 85K. It is intermitten so hard to pin down.

Anybody have any ideas?
thanks

Last edited by boatracer; 11-08-11 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 02:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by boatracer
I have a strange problem when I am going around 70 MPH and start going down a hill - If I just let off the gas and don't hit the brake or anything I get a vibration/shaking in the car between 60-70 MPH - as soon as I drop below 60 MPH the vibration/shaking goes away. I don't get it in the steering wheel but feel it in the car. I had the tires and alignment checked and they say they are all okay. Could this we a start of a drivetrain or transmission problem? I only get it when going down a steep hill between 60-70 MPH and let off the load of the car.

Haven't taken it to Lexus yet to get it checked out but planning on it. I just turned 100K on the car and it has been doing this since about 85K. It is intermitten so hard to pin down.

Anybody have any ideas?
thanks
I don't have any steep hills here per se (there's some bridges overpass that have somewhat decent drops), but I remember very well my Mexican experience (there's videos on youtube going well above those speeds) and I know that whenever I had some suspension piece on the fritz, it would get exacerbated at higher speeds. However, you go at lower speeds and you won't feel a thing and shaking suspension pieces by hand with the vehicle jacked up might not show anything because there's not enough force there.

I don't know how significant that shaking is, but if it's anything like times I recall it could be shocks, lower suspension arms, a wheel that is not quite balanced right, a wheel bearing, ball joint. Those are areas offhand that could throw enough force if it's not steering related.

Theoretically, you could jack up the front of the vehicle and see if anything is loose (shaking the wheel and shaking some of the suspension pieces).

The only thing of note with the transmission (and you can look at some of my 1/4 mile track videos on youtube under lexmex1) is right around that 70mph mark you will note the gears changing. I've noticed improved performance at the changeover after I've changed out my gear oil, but that's about the only other thing of note around that mph range.
Old 03-07-21, 08:53 PM
JoeMonday
Driver School Candidate

Anybody have any ideas?
thanks
Hi my 09 IS250 is doing exact thing your car did. What was wrong with your car? Did you ever get it fix?
Thanks
Old 03-08-21, 07:56 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMonday
Hi my 09 IS250 is doing exact thing your car did. What was wrong with your car? Did you ever get it fix?
Thanks
This is an old thread, so don't be surprised if no one answers. Have you tried the IS forum?

Speaking in generalities, what you are experiencing is when the wheels try to spin the engine. Transmission mounts and driveshaft couplings are stressed. Have them examined as they are best diagnosed with the vehicle on the lift.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
JoeMonday9 (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 01:30 PM
bordenj66
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Anybody have any ideas?
thanks
Follow up Q’s:

Is your car FWD or AWD?

Can you describe how the shaking starts and progresses, and what you feel in the car?

Does the car pull to either side while the symptoms occur?

Does the car pull to one side generally, or while braking?

Is the steering wheel ‘loose’, meaning small turns of the wheel don’t actually turn the wheels?

Does the car make any clunking sounds when turning at low speeds?

Anything else worth mentioning?
Old 03-15-21, 01:00 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The solution would have been control arms ball joints breaking all effect steering and suspension. Car is accident waiting to happen at this point. Probably smashed before traded or fixed since silence.
Old 03-20-21, 10:32 PM
JoeMonday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
This is an old thread, so don't be surprised if no one answers. Have you tried the IS forum?

Speaking in generalities, what you are experiencing is when the wheels try to spin the engine. Transmission mounts and driveshaft couplings are stressed. Have them examined as they are best diagnosed with the vehicle on the lift.

Salim
I lifted the car up and everything under the 53K miles car should look like (nice & clean) nothing is out of the ordinary. Tranny mount, couplings, boots etc. Just took the car in, re-balanced all 4 wheels @ one the local tire shops and voila the shudder/vibration went away all together. I am so glad that it’s not something else. The car (Lexus IS 250) is now smooth and quiet as it should be.
I hope this will help someone else. Sometimes shuddering & vibrations can be eliminated just by re-balancing your wheels.
Old 03-23-21, 08:55 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMonday
I lifted the car up and everything under the 53K miles car should look like (nice & clean) nothing is out of the ordinary. Tranny mount, couplings, boots etc. Just took the car in, re-balanced all 4 wheels @ one the local tire shops and voila the shudder/vibration went away all together. I am so glad that it’s not something else. The car (Lexus IS 250) is now smooth and quiet as it should be.
I hope this will help someone else. Sometimes shuddering & vibrations can be eliminated just by re-balancing your wheels.
Very true that vibration at 65-75mph can be due wheel balance issue. What threw me off was the reference to "when letting off the gas" in the thread title. Wheel balance vibrations happen even when you coast, speeding up and slowing down.

I am happy the problem is solved.

Salim