RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX 300 - Strut Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 09:54 PM
jetty2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX 300 - Strut Replacement

The shop that I take my RX 300 to suggest that I consider replacing the struts on my RX 300 (miles 165K with original struts)

To be honest I can't tell if the struts need to be replaced, but the mechanic keeps reminding me that I should replace the struts (he mentioned that I should of had them replaced sooner (because the maintence manual suggest?). I use to do major commute with the RX 300, but no longer do the commute.

I am very good with the maintenance of the vehicle - and the mechanic is pretty cool.

Your input is appreciated....
Old 10-19-11, 06:22 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Are they leaking? Does the car bounce after pushing down on it.? Otherwise the struts are probably fine. With that mileage however some new KYB struts would probably help the ride...
Old 10-19-11, 07:35 AM
RX300CE
Rookie

If you are planning to keep a car for few more years you should do it now, it's about time for 165k miles, KYB struts are pricey but very good struts .
Old 10-19-11, 08:24 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

My es300 struts just went with 130k on them...

If you're planning on replacing, i say do it now!

Best part?
Rockauto.com is the cheapest for parts in my experience. I just bought four quick struts for 600$ shipped to NY [where i'll drive down to pick up vs. 1100$ CAD locally for me].
On top of that Monroe has a rebate for THIS MONTH, where they reimburse you when you buy Any struts/combo's...

Last edited by 01LEXPL; 10-19-11 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-19-11, 12:16 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I replaced my rear struts and mounts about 3 months ago, at around 158k. They were in great condition.
The reason I replaced them is cause the strut mounts were noisy, and I didn't want to do all that work and not change the struts.

But, the struts themselves were great. They were not leaking, and they were still hard to push down.
Old 10-19-11, 04:06 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I advise to stay far away from Monroe.

Koni, KYB, the rest, in that order, is my pick.

Konis are very pricey...and for good reason.
Old 10-20-11, 02:24 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too replaced my struts and all rubber parts. I had the telltale clunking. Knowing I had at least a couple bad strut mounts and could see the rubber boots had holes, I felt it wise to replace the old worn struts at the same time.
I purchased the Sensen complete struts for around $169 - that's all four, not each. I saw they increased their prices after I placed the order. I bought the mounts and all new rubber parts from a sponser on this site Sewell Lexus at a discounted price. The factory mounts and rubber came to about $600.
I had already checked with a well-regarded local tire/suspension place that was referred by more than one satisfied customer. I asked them if they would do the work even if I ordered the parts myself. They gave me prices with and without supplying the parts. When I had the parts I stopped by and reminded them of my written estimate and asked if they were willing to honor it. They said yes and I made an appointment for the next day when they might not be too busy.
When I brought it in they then told me they no longer install parts ordered elsewhere but would do me a favor by installing anyway and they raised the price. I should have walked then but I really wanted a reputable place who would do a good job. The alignment was good when I brought it in. They screwed up multiple times and put the car back together with a bad bearing and the wheel alignment was not even close. Their mistakes led to the insides of the rear tires being ruined in a very short time. I brought it back right away and they said it was fine even though I could hear and feel the problem. It took two more return trips and several hundred $ more to get it right.
Bottom lines: The new Sensen struts are tight and new feeling despite the RX's handling is still a bit on the numb side. I like the silver laquered finish on the Sensens because it matches my all-millenium silver RX but that's not a deal breaker for me. The old struts (135,000 miles and I like to take corners and bumps hard) were not leaking and still felt tight. They could have been put back on except the big cost (for me) besides the rubber and mounts was the labor.
It was the strut mounts and rubber that really needed to be replaced and it wasn't the first time for most of them (more than one was replaced by Lexus under warrantee).
So you may only need the mounts replaced especially if the struts are expensive.
This is important and I hope I'm allowed to say: Stay away from the crooks at Chatsworth Tire Pros in the San Fernando Valley CA. I gave them multiple chances to do the right thing and the only way I got the job done right was to spend several hundred dollars more - but still cheaper than having them put Monroe parts on rather than preferred parts I orderd.

Last edited by LA4Mead; 10-20-11 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 02:41 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should add that the advice for factory mounts and the merits of new Sensen struts compared to Lexus branded KYB's or aftermarket KYB's was discussed on another CL thread (search?) was discussed here with advice from other members, and I thank you all for the good advice I received. I wish I had been able to find a reputable installer but I'm happy with the parts that were installed. Sensen with a lifetime warrantee was a good choice for me because of $ consideration. The Sewell Lexus order was handled smoothly, and their service over the phone was helpful. Thanks to everyone who pitched in on the CL forum.
Old 10-21-11, 09:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd enjoy hearing your long-term experiences with these shocks/struts, given that new technologies are always coming out.

---------------------------

I wanted to mention on a side note that what we do in this forum really will help us as RX300 owners down the line (along with all of the other Lexus/Toyota forums out there). As our RX300s get older, although there will be support for OEM parts from Lexus/Toyota for a good long time, aftermarket manufacturers for a lot of parts may come and go. It's important that we give the feedback that we do in this forum and keep our membership growing. Whenever, I meet someone with an RX300 anywhere I always point them to Club Lexus and let them know how to join, even taking down their email forwarding the registration link to them.

I've had conversations with friends with different vehicles who are active on car forums worldwide and it does make a difference when aftermarket manufacturers look at the web and see what older vehicles are still hanging around in terms of needing performance and other parts. Moreover, with the economy the way it is, you can bet that our RX300s (one of the most sold SUVs ever worlwide), will have added duty for a lot of people. At my old high school here in Miami, I sometimes volunteer to help their football team when I get a chance, and I see a lot of RX300s in the student parking lot, and even some of the guys on the team have them.

I mentioned the other day that, according to what I have determined, we are the highest ranking Toyota or Lexus enthusiast website in the world according to www.alexa.com at 28,027, keep up the good work.
Old 10-22-11, 07:57 PM
mno221
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Struts

I know this is changing the subject, but where can I order struts for
RX300 completely assemble rear?
Old 10-23-11, 08:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mno221
I know this is changing the subject, but where can I order struts for
RX300 completely assemble rear?
What's the year and AWD or FWD and also any particular brand/thing you are looking for?
Old 10-23-11, 07:34 PM
mno221
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KYB is what you and most people recommend on this forum.
So if I can afford them completely assemble is the way to go.
99 AWD
Old 10-24-11, 05:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mno221
KYB is what you and most people recommend on this forum.
So if I can afford them completely assemble is the way to go.
99 AWD
I got mine through a connection I no longer have (this goes back almost 4 years ago).

Amazon I have seen usually has the best prices (and often tosses in free shipping), but the shocks move rather quickly so you have to check daily to see when they have them in stock.
Old 10-26-11, 09:51 AM
AShepherd
Former Sponsor

if you are look for KYB or Koni, check out Autoshepherd.com

we've already got some of the lowest prices around, plus you can save 10% more by using this CL's exclusive coupon code at check out: LEXUS10

heres Koni for your car
http://autoshepherd.com/product/Koni.../9491?v=144675

heres KYB for your 2000 RX300 (only $133.92 a pair before the 10% off)
http://autoshepherd.com/product/KYB-...Assembly/20830

surprisingly Koni is around the same price but we only have the rear in stock
you cant really go wrong with KYB GR-2
its a good strut

Last edited by AShepherd; 10-26-11 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 12:18 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is the KONI and KYB struts are same quality? Or the OEM is more better?

Quick Reply: 2000 RX 300 - Strut Replacement