RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Screen not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 05:55 AM
waleed600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Screen not working

Hi everybody.

i have Lexus Rx 300 model 2001, yesterday when i off the car the screen and radio was working fine ... today when i start the car the screen not working i try on the radio also not working also i notes the light door in the roof top not working !!! i have checked all the fuse under the dash all are fine ... ant help please ...

Thanks
Old 09-30-11, 06:29 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

First thing I'm going to ask is about the battery. How old is it? Whats the condition of it? Usually the battery can cause lot's of weird things to go on, because many cars like this one have a lot of electronics which all take a lot of juice.
Old 09-30-11, 07:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

That's absolutely right about the battery condition. We just had a similar problem with our 4Runner that necessitated getting a new battery (it's 2006 and had the same battery since new). It started to become a bit more difficult to start and then I started to notice some freak electrical issues with certain components like the radio, dash lights, front lights flickering at night. The battery voltage was down to about 9.6! Wound up getting a new battery.

I had my screen go out on me in Mexico and that was because of an incident that involved getting that area wet through a spilled Coke. Eventually after I let the vehicle sit overnight, it must have dried out and I was able to start it again and get the center console working again. I had also disconnected the battery as soon as I got back to my uncle's shop and we dealt with it the next morning. So disconnecting the battery may help bring things back to life if the battery still has a sufficient charge.

Another thing that happened to me just yesterday. For the longest time, the front driver's side speaker has not worked and I had wanted to test it out when I got the chance. Well, yesterday we had a big rainstorm here and I was coming home after stopping off at one of the Lexus dealers to get a small part (yes, I sometimes shop there, too), and I went through some big puddles. Well, the accessory belts started squealing, but after I got out of the water and the squealing stopped, suddenly I could hear sound out of the front driver's side speaker. Turned out that even though I had tightened up this belt not too long ago, that fact that it was dirty was causing minor slippage and not fully getting enough charge to the vehicle (my battery is new since last year), and tested it again this morning and it was working. Thus, a dirty or squealing or a not tight belt, could also cause the issue. I don't want to presume entirely (though I do have two good friends who live in Dubai), but heat over time may cause some issue with the belt expanding (I know this is true from Florida) and that might also be an issue.

So first thing, I would do is try to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it and see if it the screen will start up again.