RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What would you say is the best stock tire brand is

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 02:04 PM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking What would you say is the best stock tire brand is

Im currently sporting Goodyear Integrity tires (stock '16 size) and i was wondering what brand would you say gives you the best ride performance as well as helps on the gas also i need all season tires since where im located i get all the seasons pretty bad

so please if you can suggest me only the '16 stock size tires.. i have a 2000 lexus rx300 AWD
Old 09-07-11, 02:48 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Any Michelin tire is pretty much awesome. But expensive. The kumho solos are good as well, but I don't know how well they would do in the snow.
Old 09-07-11, 02:49 PM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Any Michelin tire is pretty much awesome. But expensive. The kumho solos are good as well, but I don't know how well they would do in the snow.
thanks.....
Old 09-07-11, 03:07 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced the Integrity's on my highlander with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's and am very happy with the change. It rides smoother with better traction. I felt they were more bang for the buck then the Michelin's. My only regret is I purchased them in August for a 1,000 mile trip and now they have a $100 rebate.
Old 09-07-11, 11:09 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
When I 1st purchased my truck new, I was researching to determine what tires to put on it. (I'm a wheels and tires kind of guy. Not extreme, just class and not what came on it originally). I had pretty much settled on the Kumho till I went did some "review" research on them. That quickly ended my thoughts of buying Kumho's. Too many negative reviews. I realize in any given brand, there are bad reviews on one model of tire and good ones on another but it scared me enough (high number of neg. reviews) to chose another brand. When I went to have the tires and wheels installed, there were a full set of very good Kumho's on the floor that were definitely NOT very much worn and it appeared they were probably exchanged on Discount Tires liberal "not happy in 30 days, we'll exchange 'em for something you are happy with" policy.
Old 09-08-11, 08:28 AM
IndyRX300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have new MichelineD/Cs2 or something like that and love em. When it comes time to replacing them we will have to buy something else because we cannot afford them lol
Old 09-08-11, 09:22 AM
Mut
Rookie

Can someone explain the advantage of getting brands like Michellin compared to Kumho? I've had Kumhos for many, many years, and I haven't noticed a single problem with traction, accelerating, braking, or whatnot. But I don't drive in harsh conditions, the area I live in is probably optimal conditions for driving (never snows and not so much rain) so that could make a big difference.
Old 09-08-11, 10:49 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Most brands have some good tires and some that are junk. I have Kumho Solus KH16's and they are good tires for summer and rain, not so good for snow. I would say that Goodyear makes good tires, but Integrity's are awful. Just depends on the tire, not so much the brand.

Last edited by carguy07; 09-08-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 03:16 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
Can someone explain the advantage of getting brands like Michellin compared to Kumho? I've had Kumhos for many, many years, and I haven't noticed a single problem with traction, accelerating, braking, or whatnot. But I don't drive in harsh conditions, the area I live in is probably optimal conditions for driving (never snows and not so much rain) so that could make a big difference.
The answer is in your question...

You mentioned traction and braking.

To be more specific though, factors are dry handling, wet handling, comfort, noise, tread wear (how fast they wear), fuel efficiency and braking, among others.

So when comparing one tire vs another, the better tire will be better in many if not all of the items listed above.

Now you have to decide what matters to you, and which tire best suits your needs. But they're certainly not all the same.
Old 09-08-11, 05:15 PM
lddrew
Driver School Candidate

Michelin is the cat's rear end IMO
Old 09-08-11, 05:32 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The Integrities are a good tire if ride, noise and gas mileage are your priority. The roadholding (especially in the wet) is not the greatest. Integrities don't get much respect but I've been happy with them. If you're independently wealthy, get Michelins!
Old 09-08-11, 08:30 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Stock tires that I have used on RX (dont know if there are more options as stock tires)

GoodTyear Integrity all_season
Road noise: Low and ride is not harsh.
Tread wear: Reasonable
traction: Reasonably good when new. Deteriorates as they wear out and woefully poor when legally enough tread is left.
Bottom line: Low cost tires. They are much maligned, but are OK tires. Do replace them long before they reach minimum tread.

BFGoodrich Duelers all_season
Road noise: Low and the ride is not harsh.
Tread wear: Unacceptably low
traction: Poor (just because the tires are soft, I expected better). If you eliminate my expectation, they are reasonable.
Bottom line: Another low cost alternative but since they wear out so quick, not worth the money.

Salim
Old 09-08-11, 09:47 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yokohama!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-11, 11:59 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRX300
We have new MichelineD/Cs2 or something like that and love em. When it comes time to replacing them we will have to buy something else because we cannot afford them lol
Two things I refuse to look at cost on are brakes and tires. My life and that of my wife DEPEND on those 2 things probably more than anything else I have direct control over. I figure if I spend $500. OTD for a set of tires and get 50k mi. on them before they are down to 25% tread (I will NOT run tires below 25% tread because of diminished safety!), it has cost me 1 cent per mile!!! Now I realize you MAY not get 50k mi. down to 25% worn. But if taken care of PROPERLY, you may, on a GOOD set of tires (like a top Michelin). Is it worth my life to save 1 cent per mile? This is only for ilustrative purposes, but unless you live under a bridge, if you can't afford to spend WHATEVER it costs for something so important, it might be a good idea to check into the price of a bicycle. A top quality tire is one of the best investments you'll ever make.
Old 09-09-11, 02:49 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Two things I refuse to look at cost on are brakes and tires. My life and that of my wife DEPEND on those 2 things probably more than anything else I have direct control over. I figure if I spend $500. OTD for a set of tires and get 50k mi. on them before they are down to 25% tread (I will NOT run tires below 25% tread because of diminished safety!), it has cost me 1 cent per mile!!! Now I realize you MAY not get 50k mi. down to 25% worn. But if taken care of PROPERLY, you may, on a GOOD set of tires (like a top Michelin). Is it worth my life to save 1 cent per mile? This is only for ilustrative purposes, but unless you live under a bridge, if you can't afford to spend WHATEVER it costs for something so important, it might be a good idea to check into the price of a bicycle. A top quality tire is one of the best investments you'll ever make.
Well said Roger. I forget the cost long before I stop enjoying the performance of a nice tire. Also, nothing like the secure feeling you get on a dark, cold, rainy night in heavy high speed interstate traffic from a high quality tire. I used to wring out every last mile but I once was in the situation I just described and I could feel the car moving as it began to hydroplane. No way I could slow down or even change lanes. It was scary. BTW, I have always had good-luck with Bridgestone Alenzas. Michelin may make a better tire, but I don't want to try something new when I know the Alenzas won't let me down.

Also, I am always amused by the eternal search for cheap aftermarket brake pads. From my experience, T/L makes the best pad out there in terms of dust, braking, noise, life and cost.

Quick Reply: What would you say is the best stock tire brand is