RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What would you say is the best stock tire brand is

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 08:43 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Two things I refuse to look at cost on are brakes and tires. My life and that of my wife DEPEND on those 2 things probably more than anything else I have direct control over. I figure if I spend $500. OTD for a set of tires and get 50k mi. on them before they are down to 25% tread (I will NOT run tires below 25% tread because of diminished safety!), it has cost me 1 cent per mile!!! Now I realize you MAY not get 50k mi. down to 25% worn. But if taken care of PROPERLY, you may, on a GOOD set of tires (like a top Michelin). Is it worth my life to save 1 cent per mile? This is only for ilustrative purposes, but unless you live under a bridge, if you can't afford to spend WHATEVER it costs for something so important, it might be a good idea to check into the price of a bicycle. A top quality tire is one of the best investments you'll ever make.
Absolutely correct and nothing wrong with your logic ... except ... there are other (idiot) drivers on the road. If they have a SUV and AWD they think they can defy laws of physics. In terrible conditions, I avoid being on the road.

Salim
Old 09-09-11, 09:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I have to be fair here though. Some people right now in these times can't afford to have the best tires and brakes...me included. I have some friends in my neighborhood that will get together as a group and work on each other's vehicles in front of our homes just to save money on the repairs (and it helps to have another set of eyes on more complex projects). However, it's harder to come down on prices of materials and things you can't make yourself.

The best way I have dealt with the situation is looking everywhere to try the find the best deal possible and take what I can get with the deal. Granted, I won't settle for el cheapo tires or brakes (and god knows I needed the best things I could get in Mexico for sure), but I take into account a lot of characteristics, stats, etc. on things and look at the long-term effect of what I may be buying and I now have a pretty good idea of the brands/things I am looking for.

The only time I buy anything at the dealer anymore is for very small parts like bolts/nuts that I can pick up locally (and wouldn't make much of a difference getting them online).

My own personal opinion on the tires is that my Michelin Crossterrains 235-70-16 have been very good to me, but the next time I am going tire shopping I probably will look to drop a width down to 225 or maybe even 215 (BTW, stock Toyota Harriers run 215-70-16) and then look at the material, revolutions per minute, treadwear, speed rating and of course customer reviews (which you really have to dissect to determine fact from fiction).

The last set of brake pads I got are actually an Axxis Deluxe pads that I got off of Amazon (and were actually listed as Beck Arnley pads). I can't complain one bit about them.
Old 09-09-11, 09:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Absolutely correct and nothing wrong with your logic ... except ... there are other (idiot) drivers on the road. If they have a SUV and AWD they think they can defy laws of physics. In terrible conditions, I avoid being on the road.

Salim
I have been known to defy the laws of physics to avoid the idiot drivers we have here in South Florida.
Old 09-15-11, 01:55 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The best brand would be Continental. They are more than twice the price of any other brand.