RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Power steering pump photo

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 09:31 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power steering pump photo

I have a power steering pump leak even after it was replaced with a rebuilt one and not sure if the re placer forgot to put some parts back on.

It seems to be leaking on the back side and the front shaft seal side.

Does anyone have a pic of the P/S pump from under the car looking from the drive shaft to the pump?

Thanks,
John
Old 09-01-11, 11:03 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

To determine leaks, you have to start by a thorough clean up. My favorite is Simple Green solution. Start way up from the reservoir and clean every thing.

Other than a bad/leaking-pump, DIYers (and mechanics) tend to skimp on the banjo-washer. [This will be the copper washer on the high pressure hose]. If you are a freak like me, you would need crows foot to toque the banjo bolt to spec.

Which pump did you get? For my sons SC, I paid steep $$$ to get the pump from Lexus parts. The good thing about RX pump is that it does not leak on other things [for SC, it leaks right on to the alternator].

Another thing from SC is that the low side hose has a crush-able insert. When I was buying the pump from Lexus Parts the sales person did not know about it. This part sits inside the hole and the head of the hose crushes it inside the hole of the pump to form a seal. Lexus parts did not stock it and when I enquired how do the service people handle it .. they pull the old one from the old pump and drop it in the new pump. I had to special order mine and wait 2 days. One needs to inspect the hole and see if the new pump has the insert in it [2 inserts wont work and without one, the joint would leak ... there is no shoulder-washer to seal the hose connector]. **

** These are lessons learnt from working on Lexus and may not be applicable to RX. I would check for leak. If I get to the service manual, I can confirm if the RX pump has the same set-up.

Salim
ps: If you paid some one to replace the pump, take it back.

Last edited by salimshah; 09-01-11 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ps
Old 09-01-11, 12:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

X2, if you had a shop replace the pump, take it back. They are responsible for the work they provided you with. It could either be a internal leak with the rebuilt pump or it's an installation error.
Old 09-01-11, 12:27 PM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I did take it back and they said they put in a 2nd one (I have doubts). Now going back next week for #3. (Napa parts)

It looks like the shaft seal and the back gasket not the hose or crush washers. Just a few drops per hour but I would like to get this fixed so I can seal the drive way.
Old 09-01-11, 01:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Definitely get it fixed, especially cause you paid for the job. You should get what you pay for. Hopefully try #3 will work out.