RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Tail Lamp Indicator annoying me

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 10:32 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Tail Lamp Indicator annoying me

Had this issue several months ago - indicator would go on when I pressed the brake after starting, sometimes the actual tail lamp light was on sometimes it was not which had me thinking some type of short but still first bought a replacement bulb on Rock Auto for $2, but then passed on a DIY as I was worried about breaking the cover over the lamp. Ended up paying a Lexus dealer $46 to change the $2 bulb (got the wash and snacks). Fixed the problem, lamp worked and indicator stopped coming on. Now about four months later the indicator is back on with braking after starting, but each time I have someone check the rear tail lamp is always working. Sounds like an indicator problem? Seems weird when the bulb previously worked only intermittently as cause of the indicator coming on.

I would like to simply disconnect the indicator, I thought someone posted about it but I can't find it. I also don't see how I can complain to the dealer when the bulb they put in is working. Any help or advice? I hate that indicator.
Old 08-28-11, 11:54 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be a corroded connector causing mischief. If you are handy, cleaning them could solve your problem. Failing that, a Hello Kitty sticker over the light will definitively solve the problem.
Old 08-28-11, 01:24 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Thanks. Not handy, maybe I will go with the Hello Kitty sticker, my 11-year old daughter would love it.
Old 08-28-11, 01:40 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife is having the same issue. I cannot believe that I didnt think of cleaning the terminals. I just have one question. Are the side markers on the car just reflectors or are they supposed to be illuminated? If they are, I know my problem.
Old 08-28-11, 03:01 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The front and rear, left and right, sidemarkers are supposed to be illuminated when the headlights are on. But, they don't trigger the bulb-out indicator lamp. Are you sure the 3rd (high-center) stoplight bulb is working? This is the most prone to failure (because of hatch closing vibration) and the most often overlooked.
Old 08-28-11, 05:15 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

I have look over and over again at all the rear lights. Im assuming you are talking about the dummy light triggering when a light is out?
Old 08-28-11, 05:17 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Perhaps the connectors have rattled themselves loose. I will check again tonight and report back.
Old 08-28-11, 07:30 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Every light is illuminated except for the pass side, side markers
Old 08-28-11, 08:14 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If your warning lamp comes on on the first application of brake after you start, then it is your rear brake light malfunction [one on each side of the tail and the third mounted high on the rear hatch. This lamp does not monitor any other lamp.

Salim
Old 08-29-11, 02:06 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
If your warning lamp comes on on the first application of brake after you start, then it is your rear brake light malfunction [one on each side of the tail and the third mounted high on the rear hatch. This lamp does not monitor any other lamp.

Salim
Im going to check wiring and connections.
Old 08-29-11, 04:49 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Default Indicator Light malfunction

Originally Posted by IndyRX300
Im going to check wiring and connections.
Please post any efforts about cleaning or other actions regarding a malfunctioning indicator light. All of my brake lights are consistently working and now my indicator light suddenly stopped coming on. It sure seems there is an issue with the indicator light and not the rear brake lights.
Old 08-29-11, 08:48 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
Please post any efforts about cleaning or other actions regarding a malfunctioning indicator light. All of my brake lights are consistently working and now my indicator light suddenly stopped coming on. It sure seems there is an issue with the indicator light and not the rear brake lights.
I think it is the other way round. You have an intermittent connector problem or one of the bulbs is about to pop.

For connector problem, you have to visit each socket, pull the bulb out, use needle nose pliers to straighten/center the folded wire and reinsert in socket.

As bulbs age, they can draw out of spec current and that triggers the warning light.

Salim
Old 08-30-11, 05:36 AM
IndyRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think it is the other way round. You have an intermittent connector problem or one of the bulbs is about to pop.

For connector problem, you have to visit each socket, pull the bulb out, use needle nose pliers to straighten/center the folded wire and reinsert in socket.

As bulbs age, they can draw out of spec current and that triggers the warning light.

Salim
Wife has the car today. I wont be able to get to it on until the weekend. However, I did find a fast, inexpensive and effective way of restoring oxidized head lights without having to touch a single piece of sandpaper if anyone is interested.
Old 08-30-11, 08:32 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRX300
Wife has the car today. I wont be able to get to it on until the weekend. However, I did find a fast, inexpensive and effective way of restoring oxidized head lights without having to touch a single piece of sandpaper if anyone is interested.
I suppose your talking about the headlight restoration liquid you can buy just about everywhere.
LOL

Yup, it works wonders!
Old 08-30-11, 12:19 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
I suppose your talking about the headlight restoration liquid you can buy just about everywhere.
LOL

Yup, it works wonders!
Actually nope I found an old bottle of NU FINISH scratch remover and followed it up with meguires polish.

Quick Reply: Rear Tail Lamp Indicator annoying me