RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Center Console Lights Won't Illuminate

Old 06-19-14, 11:05 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do. If it isn't the fuses or relay, my guess is in the wiring (like the ground maybe) or some type of module that controls the consoles lighting when park/headlights are on. Would be nice to have a wiring diagram of the dash/center console lighting. Only lighting that turns on right now when the switch on are all A/C indicators, not the buttons themselves and all of a sudden the LCD screen magically came on. I didn't do anything to it yet. Very weird.
Old 06-20-14, 06:08 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
Will do. If it isn't the fuses or relay, my guess is in the wiring (like the ground maybe) or some type of module that controls the consoles lighting when park/headlights are on. Would be nice to have a wiring diagram of the dash/center console lighting. Only lighting that turns on right now when the switch on are all A/C indicators, not the buttons themselves and all of a sudden the LCD screen magically came on. I didn't do anything to it yet. Very weird.
You can find wiring diagrams (as well as all TSB's) here: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/Wd
Old 06-20-14, 02:17 PM
mudduck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illumination

Thanks Hypervish--that is a good link to the diagram. We will solve this issue once and for all you guys!
Old 07-01-14, 06:13 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Man I feel seriously stupid, as I was doing my fog light mod, I decided to start the car, turn on all the exterior lights and the radio. I got my test light and checked all fuses again on the driver side, 2 fuses never turned on the light. A 5 amp on the bottom panel and a 7.5 amp on the far right of the panel; I pulled the 5 amp fuse and its good(moved it to another 5 amp location it works). Then I pulled the 7.5 cause it was blown(it wasn't blown last week though), I replaced the fuse, I look up and BAM, they are on! I played with the switch while testing and found out that when I was checking the fuse before, it was with the parking switch off. Also I'm missing the fuse panel cover, so I don't know what the fuses are for.

Try turning on the parking lights while checking the 7.5 fuse on the far right panel, driver side. This was a headache.

Last edited by JJaySilver; 07-02-14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 06:53 PM
mudduck
Driver School Candidate

JJay, I think you are on to something. I checked all my fuses with the lights on and one doesn't light up! Its the 7.5 marked Starter. The fuse itself wasn't blown and I put a new one in and it still won't light up. Any ideas?
Old 07-01-14, 08:34 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I am lost. How are you checking the fuse(s).

1. Visual: Pull the fuse out and you raise the fuse in front of a light source. Visually see the u-hook/pinch-point in tact.

2. Ohm check: Pull the fuse out and with a ohm meter see if you have 0-ohm when you touch the blades.

3. In circuit check: This is little tricky as you measure voltage with meter or light. This requires the load must be there and the switch must be turned on for the circuit. If the fuse is popped then the open in the circuit happens at the fuse and you sense +12v across the fuse blades.

4. Swap same amp fuses and see if the problem moves.

Salim
Old 07-01-14, 09:02 PM
mudduck
Driver School Candidate

I did that--I used a test light and touched the fuses while they were inserted. I swapped out 7.5 amp fuses and I still don't get a light. Would that mean I would need a whole new block or is it a relay somewhere? The fuse that won't light is marked Starter.
Old 07-01-14, 11:37 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

If the exterior park lights work, then the relay is clicking and working.
Remove that 7.5 fuse and touch the test light tip to where the right leg of the fuse connect to, then turn on and off the parking switch, test light should be illuminating with the sound of the click from the relay above it next to the fog light relay. If still no power, the problem is before the fuse, maybe loose wires. I think you might have to get behind the fuse panel and test that wire and see where that wire goes. Man, this is crazy. I have pics, but I'm having a hard time uploading.
The following users liked this post:
JeiceLexus (12-07-22)
Old 07-02-14, 12:40 AM
mudduck
Driver School Candidate

I will give that a try.
Old 09-06-14, 04:25 PM
Rockasaki
Driver School Candidate

Default Possible Solution To No Console Lights

I recently had a remote starter system put into my 2004 GX470, and in the evening of the installation I noticed the dash and center console lights no longer worked. I also noticed the instrumentation lights were super bright and that the illumination adjustment dial did not affect the instrumentation lights, nor the dash and console lights.

I searched Online and found this thread. So I checked all the fuses, but found them all working. Then I noticed some connectors dangling just above the fuses. I took apart all the plastic dash pieces under the steering wheel using a trim removal tool, philips screwdriver, and 10 mm socket. The installer (Car Toys) failed to reconnect the 4 connectors on the little control panel, which included the dial of the dash/console lights. After reconnecting everything, the dial works perfectly.

Those controls (lower left of the steering wheel) sometimes go bad, or the connectors were never pushed in all the way (not snapped in) and come loose after some time. This can possibly explain why some people on this thread are experience periodic issues.

Anyway, I hope this helps those still having problems with unresponsive dash/console lights. If anyone needs me to capture video on disassembling the plastic pieces under the steering column, let me know.

Old 09-08-14, 11:47 AM
mudduck
Driver School Candidate

I will check into this. Thanks Rock.
Old 02-18-17, 02:39 AM
Oren
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by mudduck
I will check into this. Thanks Rock.
Hi Mudduck ,
Any luck?

i had a problem with my ingnition and the road side assistance disassembled several connectors below the wheel and behind the console.
since then , My console lights and the gear ones are not working,
It seems that we describe the same issue.
DId you have the luck to solve this issue?
Old 02-18-17, 10:53 AM
mudduck
Driver School Candidate

Wow Owen, it's been awhile since I'd been here. Well, I found a wire behind the left knee glove box that didn't have any juice (volts). The fuse to it was good though. I changed the wire and it still won't light up. I haven't tried Rock's suggestion and it does sound plausible. Maybe your issue mirrors his.
Old 02-18-17, 10:54 AM
mudduck
Driver School Candidate

Sorry----I meant Oren. Lol
Old 02-18-17, 02:34 PM
Oren
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockasaki
I recently had a remote starter system put into my 2004 GX470, and in the evening of the installation I noticed the dash and center console lights no longer worked. I also noticed the instrumentation lights were super bright and that the illumination adjustment dial did not affect the instrumentation lights, nor the dash and console lights.

I searched Online and found this thread. So I checked all the fuses, but found them all working. Then I noticed some connectors dangling just above the fuses. I took apart all the plastic dash pieces under the steering wheel using a trim removal tool, philips screwdriver, and 10 mm socket. The installer (Car Toys) failed to reconnect the 4 connectors on the little control panel, which included the dial of the dash/console lights. After reconnecting everything, the dial works perfectly.

Those controls (lower left of the steering wheel) sometimes go bad, or the connectors were never pushed in all the way (not snapped in) and come loose after some time. This can possibly explain why some people on this thread are experience periodic issues.

Anyway, I hope this helps those still having problems with unresponsive dash/console lights. If anyone needs me to capture video on disassembling the plastic pieces under the steering column, let me know.

Hi Rock,
I'm looking for the connectors you have described and not sure which are they.

did u take a pic or a video in any time? I want to reproduce your actions if possible.

I understand that you might have replaced the car since as I was a while back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center Console Lights Won't Illuminate