RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

EZ Grom Audio iPod adapter works great!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 07:56 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default EZ Grom Audio iPod adapter works great!

I mentioned in another thread that I ordered a Grom Audio iPod adapter for my daughter's '99 (CD changer, non-Nakamichi). I want to have this in her car for a Christmas present, but she leaves for college this week. I ordered what they recommended (TOY13) for $95, and upgraded for $5 to a 15' cable rather than a 5' -- I'm not sure the standard 5' will reach from the CD changer area to the back of the console between the seats where I want the cable to enter the drawer.

I just did a trial hookup tonight to make sure it works, and it was perfect. Installation was easy and involves unscrewing the glovebox and the CD changer. The CD changer controls navigate around the tracks (is that the term?) on the iPod. If I leave it hooked up, the CD changer will no longer work, and I don't want my daughter to get suspicious. It was hard to get the female connector from Grom to unhook from the male plug in the car, but it finally came back out again.

I emailed Grom Audio tonight to see if they recommend a simple switch to allow switching between the iPod and the CD changer while keeping them both hooked up. A switch is mentioned on another thread, but it doesn't address this unit specifically.

So now the unit is back in the box awaiting (hopefully) final installation at Christmastime. I wanted to make sure it was the real deal before the return time is up.

I've been looking for something like this for years, so for anyone younger than I am who doesn't use CD's anymore, this should be perfect.
Old 08-16-11, 06:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I thought they only made an adapter to work with usb. I might give this a shot, even though I already have an aux and 30 pin connector for my iPhone (through an FM Modulator).
Old 08-16-11, 07:19 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought my daughter a 2001 RX300 and she is using a cassette adapter to listen to her ipod. Are you saying this is a direct connection to the stereo system and the CD controls then act as ipod controls? I am assuming this must hook up to the ipod using the apple plug in the bottom. Also, is there any visible communication from the ipod on the stereo itself. This sounds great!
Old 08-16-11, 09:15 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

To answer both comments: they do make a USB adapter which I think costs a bit more than the iPod one. The CD controls work the iPod -- I think my daughter will love it. All wiring is hidden behind the glove box, then you route the iPod cable out wherever you want, I guess. Some might have it come out by the ashtray; I want it to be in the console between the seats. I got a reply from Grom today; I'm going to order some extra harness parts to try to wire up a switch, but I won't be able to test it until my daughter comes home for the holidays. I can't believe how simple and inexpensive this thing was.
Old 08-17-11, 03:34 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is awesome. While she is happy with the current set-up the sound quality is not that great. I will probably remove the CD player as it never gets used anyways. The bluetooth option also looks promising. Thanks.

Scott
Old 08-17-11, 07:12 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

A switch would be nice for the GROM or DICE units but it would need to be a multi-pole swith (7-8 connectors, or maybe even more?) to handle the audio and signal leads.
Old 08-17-11, 09:46 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if a switch on just the red power lead would be enough -- connections on the other leads wouldn't matter without any juice to the unit, would they? I'm not sure. I can't imagine how big a multiconductor switch would be.
Old 08-18-11, 05:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by trhs75
I wonder if a switch on just the red power lead would be enough -- connections on the other leads wouldn't matter without any juice to the unit, would they? I'm not sure. I can't imagine how big a multiconductor switch would be.
That's a good point. Does the Grom have flash settings that might get lost if you remove power?
Old 08-18-11, 07:55 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, power to it is shut off when the radio button (or the ignition switch) is turned off so I don't think any settings will disappear. There is no battery in the unit -- lots of semiconductor things -- so it must be designed to be shut down completely.
Old 08-23-11, 01:35 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned in another thread that I ordered a Grom Audio iPod adapter for my daughter's '99 (CD changer, non-Nakamichi). I want to have this in her car for a Christmas present, but she leaves for college this week. I ordered what they recommended (TOY13) for $95, and upgraded for $5 to a 15' cable rather than a 5' -- I'm not sure the standard 5' will reach from the CD changer area to the back of the console between the seats where I want the cable to enter the drawer.

I just did a trial hookup tonight to make sure it works, and it was perfect. Installation was easy and involves unscrewing the glovebox and the CD changer. The CD changer controls navigate around the tracks (is that the term?) on the iPod.
Sounds like a winner. Do you have a link for the Grom Audio Ipod adapter that you ordered? Thanks.
Old 08-23-11, 08:57 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Hi, C-Stone! Pardon my ignorance, but I don't exactly know how to post a link. Go to gromaudio.com and select Lexus RX300 and it will guide you to the right device. I ordered the TOY13 adapter, and later I ordered the C-TOY1 harness which I hope to use to wire in some kind of switch later on. I'm ordering a black bezel (the one surrounding the shifter and lighter) where I plan to install the switch. I'll have to wire this all up without my daughter finding out about it (and hope she doesn't notice the switch or connector), then I'll "give" it to her for Christmas.
Old 08-24-11, 03:19 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

Hi, C-Stone! Pardon my ignorance, but I don't exactly know how to post a link. Go to gromaudio.com and select Lexus RX300 and it will guide you to the right device. I ordered the TOY13 adapter, and later I ordered the C-TOY1 harness which I hope to use to wire in some kind of switch later on. I'm ordering a black bezel (the one surrounding the shifter and lighter) where I plan to install the switch. I'll have to wire this all up without my daughter finding out about it (and hope she doesn't notice the switch or connector), then I'll "give" it to her for Christmas.
Thank you very much trhs75. I found it.

Sounds like a great plan to surprise your daughter for Christmas!!!
Old 08-24-11, 07:16 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

I'll post about the installation when I get it done. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-25-11, 11:30 AM
C-Stone
Rookie

I'll post about the installation when I get it done. Thanks for the input!
Sounds great!
Old 11-15-11, 11:29 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is the Grom adapter works trhs75? Can you keep the car original CD player with the Grom?

Quick Reply: EZ Grom Audio iPod adapter works great!