RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 driver door won't unlock/lock with master key or keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 08:44 PM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 driver door won't unlock/lock with master key or keyless entry

I have a 2002 RX300. Just recently, the driver side door lock will not function with either the master key or wireless transmitter.

Is the problem the door lock actuator or something else?

Thanks
Old 07-29-11, 01:34 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by adamc
I have a 2002 RX300. Just recently, the driver side door lock will not function with either the master key or wireless transmitter.

Is the problem the door lock actuator or something else?

Thanks
Are you saying that the master key won't physically unlock the lock, as well as the remote (on the same key) won't operate the lock electronically? That would be strange because the one shouldn't have anything to do with the other. Even if the remote won't unlock or lock the the actuator, the key should physically unlock and lock the door. Please elaborate.
Old 07-29-11, 04:07 AM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

The master key will not physically lock/unlock the driver's door. The key goes in the slot all the way, but will not even turn a fraction of the way in either direction. Right now, I am having to use the passenger door to gain entry.

Also, if I hit the auto lock button once inside the car, all of the doors will lock except for the driver door. I figured this was due to a faulty lock actuator.

Could a bad actuator be responsible for the master key not physically unlocking the door, or do you think it is the lock itself?
Old 07-29-11, 08:32 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, if the lock mechanism itself is physically jammed (key won't open it manually), the electronic remote won't unlock it. There was a tear down post put up on this forum yesterday which should help you access the locking mechanism.
Old 07-29-11, 12:24 PM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, if the lock mechanism itself is physically jammed (key won't open it manually), the electronic remote won't unlock it. There was a tear down post put up on this forum yesterday which should help you access the locking mechanism.
Up until yesterday, the electronic remote was the only way to unlock the driver's door. For the past 3 or 4 months, the master key would not physically unlock the door, but the keyless entry system worked fine. Now, neither works. It has me puzzled.
Old 07-30-11, 12:34 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Up until yesterday, the electronic remote was the only way to unlock the driver's door. For the past 3 or 4 months, the master key would not physically unlock the door, but the keyless entry system worked fine. Now, neither works. It has me puzzled.
Adam,
Have you tried to lock and unlock with the little "rocker locker" above the left inside door handle? If that works, it's likely the actual tumblers in the lock cylinder that are bad. That would be in addition to the lock actuator that seems to have gone bad now. Post whether that works or not.
Old 07-30-11, 10:13 AM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
Adam,
Have you tried to lock and unlock with the little "rocker locker" above the left inside door handle? If that works, it's likely the actual tumblers in the lock cylinder that are bad. That would be in addition to the lock actuator that seems to have gone bad now. Post whether that works or not.
I haven't tried that yet. The lock actuator is ok. The car had been sitting for the past week and the battery had run down. Replaced the battery and power locks work fine.

I tried the master key in the driver's door yesterday and it worked fine for the first time in months. Tried it today and it wouldn't unlock. It is the strangest thing.
Old 07-30-11, 11:59 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Adam, seems like a silly question but have you "lubed" the lock cylinder? I try never to ASSUME anything because the best assumptions are wrong about 50% of the time. I would lube it with some graphite and try inserting and removing it many times to make sure the tumblers (if THAT'S what that crazy key uses) are well lubed. Most of us seldom ever use our key in the lock because almost everything has remote locks and the tumblers get really dry, dirty and lazy.
Old 07-31-11, 05:04 AM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
Adam, seems like a silly question but have you "lubed" the lock cylinder? I try never to ASSUME anything because the best assumptions are wrong about 50% of the time. I would lube it with some graphite and try inserting and removing it many times to make sure the tumblers (if THAT'S what that crazy key uses) are well lubed. Most of us seldom ever use our key in the lock because almost everything has remote locks and the tumblers get really dry, dirty and lazy.
I have not lubed the cylinder. Where can you find graphite lube? All I have on hand is white lithium grease. Would that work?
Old 08-01-11, 01:50 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

I have not lubed the cylinder. Where can you find graphite lube? All I have on hand is white lithium grease. Would that work?
No, I wouldn't use the white lube. Or WD-40 or oil. They collect dirt and the graphite won't because it's dry, but lubes very well. You should be able ti find it at an auto parts store and it should have a narrow snout, because that's mostly what it's used for, lubeing locks.
Old 08-01-11, 07:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I love talking about lubes! LoL, just kidding...

Try PB Blaster, I've used it on other lock cylinders and it usually works.