RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX300 - DIY rear main seal replacement

Old 07-26-11, 08:06 PM
tomjode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 RX300 - DIY rear main seal replacement

Hello,
Vehicle is a 2001 RX300 - 125000 miles - routine maint. kept up.
I have been searching for a DIY for the rear main seal with no luck.
There was 1 that covered a trans removal but was not really step
by step. Maybe I am being to picky ;-)
I did download the 1999-2000 service manual from a link. I am not
sure if that would cover my 2001. The manual title probably tells that
story(1999-2000).
The leak is small now. I will do the Auto-RX fix to get some more time.
The rx300 leaks most when the oil get low by about 1/2-3/4 quart. I keep
a close eye on it so as not to let it get that far.....but every once in a while
it does!

I thought by starting my search for a DIY now I will have time to study it so when it needs replacement it will not be a panic.

Thanks for checking out this post. Any help is genuinely appreciated.
Tom
Old 07-27-11, 06:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The Auto-RX should cure the problem. Many people have had great results with it, so just follow the procedures outlined and you should be fine.

There is no DIY for the rear main seal, as it is a pretty intensive job and basically if you don't know how to do it and need a written out picture guide then you probably shouldn't be doing it. << I'm saying that in general, and it's not directed towards you.

However, if you have done this in the past on other cars then may I recommend to you a Haynes manual which will likely help in replacement of the rear main seal. But, before any of this I suggest trying Auto-RX the chances of it fixing the rear main seal are very high.

Last edited by hypervish; 07-27-11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 01:08 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hyper has hit the nail on the head!
Old 07-27-11, 02:37 PM
Leines
Pole Position

I also have a small rear main leak.... Can auto rx be bought at auto zone or other retailers like walmart??
Old 07-27-11, 04:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I believe it has to be bought online, just google it their website should come up.
Old 07-28-11, 05:50 PM
tomjode
Driver School Candidate

Hello,
Thanks Hypervish and Code58 for responding.
Thats great to hear you feel the Auto-RX will do the trick.
I have 6 bottles on hand and ready to go.
Hypervish, your comment about if you have to have instructions.... is well said ;-)
Actually I do have the expierence to do the job, I guess I am just getting lazy in my old age!!!!

Thanks agin folks for the replies.

Tom
Old 07-29-11, 01:38 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tomjode
Hello,
Thanks Hypervish and Code58 for responding.
Thats great to hear you feel the Auto-RX will do the trick.
I have 6 bottles on hand and ready to go.
Hypervish, your comment about if you have to have instructions.... is well said ;-)
Actually I do have the expierence to do the job, I guess I am just getting lazy in my old age!!!!

Thanks agin folks for the replies.

Tom
6 bottles? You really mean business! That's like giving a cow an enema, might give new meaning to overkill.
Old 07-29-11, 01:56 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
6 bottles? You really mean business! That's like giving a cow an enema, might give new meaning to overkill.
So you are also an expert on bovine bodily functions. You never cease to amaze me!!
Old 07-29-11, 04:37 PM
tomjode
Driver School Candidate

HaHAHAaaaaaaa....I have the 6 bottles from an attack I was planning on
a jeep! I decided the to sell ti instead, it was not worth the Auto-RX ;-)
I purchased the bottles 3-4 years ago.
I was planining on doing the sludge steps from Auto-RX website, then put some miles on the RX300 and if it needs more I will do it again.

If anyone has a preffered method for the main seal I sure would like to hear it.

Thanks again.
Tom
Old 07-30-11, 12:12 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tomjode
HaHAHAaaaaaaa....I have the 6 bottles from an attack I was planning on
a jeep! I decided the to sell ti instead, it was not worth the Auto-RX ;-)
I purchased the bottles 3-4 years ago.
I was planining on doing the sludge steps from Auto-RX website, then put some miles on the RX300 and if it needs more I will do it again.

If anyone has a preffered method for the main seal I sure would like to hear it.

Thanks again.
Tom
Tom, you HAVE the preferred method!
Old 07-30-11, 12:22 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artbuc
So you are also an expert on bovine bodily functions. You never cease to amaze me!!
Art, when you grow up in the country you become an expert on a lot of animal (I like that fancy word you used there for cow) bodily functions! Ever see a constipated bovine... er, cow? I didn't think so. Me neither. If you do, we've got this fella to help 'im out.
Old 07-31-11, 07:18 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Does anyone know where to get auto rx In Canada. Or anyone willing to ship me a couple bottles in the USPS international flat rate box....apparently the website ships ups and it ends up costing twice the price if the product for customs and shipping,,,
Old 07-31-11, 08:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Leines
Does anyone know where to get auto rx In Canada. Or anyone willing to ship me a couple bottles in the USPS international flat rate box....apparently the website ships ups and it ends up costing twice the price if the product for customs and shipping,,,
I have heard this issue crop up before on bobistheoilguy.com and some other forums, but haven't heard of an ideal solution.

My uncle and I use to have it sent to Laredo, Texas via Fedex for pickup. We then had someone from the Mexican side go pick it up (obviously had a visa to go across). At the bridge, he never got questioned once, since he had a receipt made up that made the oil look cheaper than it was, and thus pay no tax on it (he brought in a lot of stuff, but there was like a $350 exclusion coming in by car for goods). He had a friend with an auto shop in Laredo that would mark up the receipt. Then he would hand it off to any buddy headed down to DF (Distrito Federal, aka Mexico City). Normally, you had to go through someone like a known courier that had a hazardous materials license (very expensive).

I am not sure where you are in Canada, but if you were close to the border I could assume you could have it sent to a Fedex office for pickup on the U.S. side. Take it there and then cross (you certainly wouldn't be bringing much in). Some people keep some fluids in their cars in case of a mechanical issue. If I lived near you on the U.S. side, I would certainly been happy to take it across to you.
Old 01-23-12, 11:38 AM
lexus4us
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the RMS issue and posted pics (somewhere) and the optimism was 50/50. After 2 treatments it stopped. I did 1-2 more afterwards ( had some left) and 6 -12 months later - no leaks.

However, I am still using reg 5 W 30 oil and am afraid to go back to a Synthetic Or Syn Blend.

Opinions ?
Old 01-24-12, 12:30 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

I don't think I'd fear going to a synthetic blend. It's actually a better ALL AROUND choice than a full synthetic. Also, there aren't the same kind of problems with a synthetic now that there once was as far as leaking. IF it DOES cause any leaking at all, just go back to regular dino oil. It hasn't hurt anything. The Auto RX simply disolves varnish and sludge and rejuvinates the rubber in seals, it's not like most of the stop leaks that do it simply by using something "swells" the seal, it actually softens it so it can do the job it originally did. Great stuff!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 RX300 - DIY rear main seal replacement