RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacing a sunroof.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 08:33 AM
jsmith27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a sunroof.

Hello,

Has anyone ever attempted to replace a power sunroof?

My 2000 RX300 had its sunroof shattered by hail. It appears that the head liner needs to be removed.

If anyone has any experience with this issue their advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-11, 07:25 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Do you have comprehensive on your insurance? That should cover all glass
Old 06-08-11, 01:18 PM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar issue. Even though the car was considered a total loss by my insurance company, I plan to keep it and have the sunroof repaired. I spoke with a sunroof technician at an independant trim facility that does all the work in Chattanooga for Lexus. They will obtain a used sunroof from a vendor that does the salvage work and clean and polishe the roof to "insurance replacement quality". He said if I had not tried to operate the sunroof since it was damaged it will be an easy repair. He quoted a total cost of $325. I think that is very reasonable and look forward to having the sunroof all fixed next week. If there are any issues that don't work out as I have described, I will post them here. Good luck. Russ 2001 RX300
Old 06-08-11, 11:04 PM
Hatchman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Russ White
I have a similar issue. Even though the car was considered a total loss by my insurance company, I plan to keep it and have the sunroof repaired. I spoke with a sunroof technician at an independant trim facility that does all the work in Chattanooga for Lexus. They will obtain a used sunroof from a vendor that does the salvage work and clean and polishe the roof to "insurance replacement quality". He said if I had not tried to operate the sunroof since it was damaged it will be an easy repair. He quoted a total cost of $325. I think that is very reasonable and look forward to having the sunroof all fixed next week. If there are any issues that don't work out as I have described, I will post them here. Good luck. Russ 2001 RX300
$325 sounds very reasonable for parts and labor, I would jump on that! Please keep us informed on how it comes out.
Old 09-13-11, 11:45 AM
albarry
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 Sunroof replacement question

Hey Russ. Wondering what that trim shop name is in Chatt and/or if there is one in Knox? I have a shattered sunroof on a 2001 LS430. Quotes for repair are insane. I have found the glass for about 380 delivered. Wondering if we can do it ourselves or take to same shop you used. Any input from anyone with info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-13-11, 01:51 PM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Al?

Things ended up very nicely for me on the sunroof. As you know, Knoxville was hit really hard and all the glass and trim shops were covered up. And with good old free enterprise, it's make hay while the sun shines and prices reflected that. I decided to go to Chattanooga which is only an hour and a half drive to save some serious cash. The guys at the link below - Grant's Auto Trim did the job for a total cost including tax of $355.06 and they bought the sunroof. Was that a deal or what? I gave the installer an extra twenty because I was so happy.
If you go there I can tell you now the terrible smell is the chicken processing plant across the street. Just stay inside the shop close to a nice new roll of leather and you will be fine.

http://www.grantsautotrim.com/

Then to make things even better, turns out our 2001 was ten years old and in Tennessee they do not issue a salvage title on that or older. So we still have the original title and a great car with some dings, and money in the bank. Good luck. Russ
Old 09-13-11, 01:54 PM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Oh - I forgot to address your question on DIY. Sure, it was easier that I had anticipated. The only things I might have had trouble with was popping the trim pieces by the rails. I never know how hard to pull being afraid of breaking something. The glass itself is just bolted in with four studs. You reach up and turn the nuts off and it lifts right out. Drop in the new one, put on the nuts, pop back the trim, and done! Russ
Old 09-18-11, 08:53 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh - I forgot to address your question on DIY. Sure, it was easier that I had anticipated. The only things I might have had trouble with was popping the trim pieces by the rails. I never know how hard to pull being afraid of breaking something. The glass itself is just bolted in with four studs. You reach up and turn the nuts off and it lifts right out. Drop in the new one, put on the nuts, pop back the trim, and done! Russ
Good to know! Thanks!