RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 09:29 PM
Erjoni
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.

First remove the cover under the car.Then you will see the Tub oil cooler.They are only 2 bolts holding the tube,spray first with WD40 then start loosen the bolts.When you take the tube out you gone have little bit a oil spill maybe 200 ml off oil.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.-lexus-rx300-transsmision-line-367.jpg   DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.-lexus-rx300-transsmision-line-369.jpg   DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.-lexus-rx300-transsmision-line-370.jpg   DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.-lexus-rx300-transsmision-line-366.jpg   DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.-lexus-rx300-transsmision-line-371.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
sychu (04-05-18)
Old 05-25-11, 11:30 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like your old tube was rusty. Was it leaking? How much was the new tube? Thanks for the pics.
Old 05-26-11, 07:19 AM
Erjoni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gazi001
Looks like your old tube was rusty. Was it leaking? How much was the new tube? Thanks for the pics.
Yea it was rusty really bad,no it wasn't leaking yet.I bought on line for 62$ (OEMLexusParts.com).
Old 05-26-11, 03:40 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-11, 03:23 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't understand why you would replace the metal pipes but not the rubber hoses.
Old 11-14-15, 03:22 PM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

I realize this is an OLD post. however I just changed my radiator and discovered the rusty transmission lines this post is about.

Has anyone replaced them with breaded hoses. I was thinking it may just be a bit ez to do that. any thoughts.
Old 11-14-15, 07:10 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Braided or rubber is fine as long as you don't kink the lines. Nothing magic about the metal lines.
Old 11-15-15, 07:12 AM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

ok sounds good...just needed to bounce it off of someone. thanks,

Going to order a couple of braided hoses and add pics.

ps this would not be considered stealing the thread right?
Old 11-15-15, 10:05 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by FilPilot
ok sounds good...just needed to bounce it off of someone. thanks,

Going to order a couple of braided hoses and add pics.

ps this would not be considered stealing the thread right?

As long as the addon is related to the subject, it is not stealing the thread. In fact keeping the info together helps the reader to make choices that they would like to make.

Forum is collective property and should never be considered as an individual's property.

Salim

ps: Hoses are a reasonable (cost effective/serves the purpose) connector with small flex. The metal tubing provides longer life (prevents degradation protection from heat) ... enemy is corrosion. The stainless steel braided may still have rubber hose inside and can deteriorate quicker if run next to engine. The braid really help the rubber, when the fluid is at higher pressure (brakes and hydraulic lines) and flex (wheel moving up and down) and cuts from debris (hydraulics flex lines in aircrafts). imho you may be spending more money but end up with a lesser optimum product in the long run. If you get the high temp braided hoses and can dissipate heat and can devise fittings (for the ends) then you would increase the life.

Engineering is not coming up with the best possible solution, it must include cost effective solution. If your vehicle has crossed 1/2 life, increasing the life span (remaining life) may not be worth the extra expense. On the other hand, your finished product may look far superior

Last edited by salimshah; 11-15-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 06:12 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

for the rubber parts, be sure they are oil compatible. transmission oil cooler hose or power steering hose are both good candidates for their high burst pressure strength and resistance to heat
Old 01-13-16, 10:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

My transmission cooler lines have been quite rusty for some time. In fact I even had the new cooler lines in my Amazon cart for a few months now. And, of course they have sprung a leak in this beautiful 19F weather. Local dealer has it for $110 plus tax, could have got it for $73 on Amazon. But, it won't come for a few days, and it's going to be nearly 50F on Friday, perfect day to swap these out.

Part Number: 32907-48010

Thanks for the pictures!
Old 01-13-16, 10:33 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
My transmission cooler lines have been quite rusty for some time. In fact I even had the new cooler lines in my Amazon cart for a few months now. And, of course they have sprung a leak in this beautiful 19F weather. Local dealer has it for $110 plus tax, could have got it for $73 on Amazon. But, it won't come for a few days, and it's going to be nearly 50F on Friday, perfect day to swap these out.

Part Number: 32907-48010

Thanks for the pictures!
let us know how much fluid comes out when you disconnect. I'm sure my metal lines will let go at anytime too.
Old 01-13-16, 03:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
let us know how much fluid comes out when you disconnect. I'm sure my metal lines will let go at anytime too.
Actually ended up just replacing them tonight as I need the car for a longer than expected drive tomorrow. Didn't want to risk the lines letting go and starving the transmission of fluid.

Very little fluid loss, and I purposely tried to get out as much as I could by dangling the hoses (as I was doing a drain and fill afterwards anyways). I'd say I lost maybe 8 fluid ounces.

Man, it was a bear trying to get to the bolts. But once I figured out how they were angled (somewhat upright), it was easier to get at them.
Old 01-13-16, 06:17 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
Actually ended up just replacing them tonight as I need the car for a longer than expected drive tomorrow. Didn't want to risk the lines letting go and starving the transmission of fluid.

Very little fluid loss, and I purposely tried to get out as much as I could by dangling the hoses (as I was doing a drain and fill afterwards anyways). I'd say I lost maybe 8 fluid ounces.

Man, it was a bear trying to get to the bolts. But once I figured out how they were angled (somewhat upright), it was easier to get at them.
thanks, good to know. During my next oil change i plan to brush off and stabilize the rust and paint for preventative measure (if it doesn't disintegrate) since i will remove my lower cover anyways.

Would a wobble extension be of any help to get to the bolts?
Old 01-13-16, 06:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
thanks, good to know. During my next oil change i plan to brush off and stabilize the rust and paint for preventative measure (if it doesn't disintegrate) since i will remove my lower cover anyways.

Would a wobble extension be of any help to get to the bolts?
You're welcome.

That's sounds like a good plan. And, yes I believe a wobble extension would be beneficial.

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission Tube -Assy,Oil Cooler.