RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help me Remove RUST!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 04:52 PM
kidlex93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Remove RUST!

I have rust above the passenger side back tire and I need it gone. Chicago winters are very rough with all the salt they put on the ground. I dont know how long this rust has been there and I dont want it spreading around any more. From what I've been reading people are saying just to sand off the rust, spray with rust resistant spray and then paint over it. Is it that easy or is there more to it? How would you guys tackle this? Thanks again you guys are always very helpful
Attached Thumbnails Help me Remove RUST!-img_6833-1-.jpg   Help me Remove RUST!-img_6840-1-.jpg  
Old 05-11-11, 05:11 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Rust is a chemical reaction .... every thing goes back to its natural state ... we extracted it form core and its trying to go back.

The process you stated is available at body shops but the problem is the sanding does not recover the metal. If the rust has compromised the metal that you have holes then you have to build it up or fill it with bondo.

Do a net search on spray welding (my preferred solution) and see if any one can do that in your area. The other option is to cut out the rusting part and weld in a new one.
The ultimate (over-kill) is to replace the quarter panel.

Salim
Old 05-18-11, 09:12 PM
JamesHuang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck getting this fixed?
Old 05-19-11, 02:10 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Do not do any repairs what you want to do is buy a product like KILLRUST or the equivalant but what killrust will do is react with the rust buy removing it and chemically treating the exposed metal so it doesn't rust. Wipe or spray it on. If you can get access behind the panel also apply there.

You do not have enough damage exposed to warrant sanding painting bondo etc
congrats you can catch it in time.
Old 05-19-11, 07:20 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Each situation is different. From the posted photo, it seems the rust is from behind based on the paint on the front being sound. If it is from behind, I think the rust has gone through the metal. One has to catch/detect the rust problem at an early stage. This one seems to have worked its way from the other side. If I am right and it is a hole, then bondo (cheapest), metal cut and weld (middle of the road), whole panel (over-kill) are the options. Spray weld is what I would do, but you have to find who has the equipment. Since most shops dont, I think they will steer you to bondo fix.

Salim