RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Smoke from glovebox of my 99 RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 02:21 PM
Tshogun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smoke from glovebox of my 99 RX300?

I have a 99 RX300 1st gen, I haven't been using it cause it was jerking bad while driving got the transmission filter replaced & it started driving right again. Later on the jerking came back. I decided to try and take it to the auto shop to get it checked. Bad idea cause it messed up on me. It turned off in the middle of the road, tried cranking it back up you could hear it trying to turn over but no success, smoke started coming out of the glove box it was a strange smell kinda sweet smelling. I had to push it off to the side of the road. Opened the hood & no smoke. I can't figure out what happen to it, it won't crank up at all now. Any suggestion would help me out. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-11, 02:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Look's like the shop you took it to, messed up something that's for sure!! Did you check the oil (both engine and trans) , is it full? Does it click when you turn the key or try to crank?
Old 05-06-11, 12:22 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tshogun
I have a 99 RX300 1st gen, I haven't been using it cause it was jerking bad while driving got the transmission filter replaced & it started driving right again. Later on the jerking came back. I decided to try and take it to the auto shop to get it checked. Bad idea cause it messed up on me. It turned off in the middle of the road, tried cranking it back up you could hear it trying to turn over but no success, smoke started coming out of the glove box it was a strange smell kinda sweet smelling. I had to push it off to the side of the road. Opened the hood & no smoke. I can't figure out what happen to it, it won't crank up at all now. Any suggestion would help me out. Thanks in advance.
Smoke from the glove box??? Sounds like heater core or at least coolant related since it smelled sweet, which coolant would but smoke WOULDN'T likely. Need a mechanic that knows what he's doing take a look at it and do some testing. I would for sure check to see if there is anything wet below the glove box and do a pressure test to see if you have any coolant leaking inside the car. Are you sure the jerking wasn't engine related rather than trans.? Is there a chance the engine is sludged and overheated which caused all the problem? I have a sinking feeling you may need an engine. I hope not. You need someone who has some experience with RX's and his head on his shoulders straight. Good Luck!