RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

hard shifting with delay and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 07:50 PM
bowen.chau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I have removed the EFI for 5 minutes and test drove again. The problem still occurs. It happens only after the engine has been warmed up, like driving after 10 minutes.
Old 05-29-13, 09:23 PM
bowen.chau
Rookie

One more symptom, this only happens when the car has been warmed up.

Does it related to transmission oil filter?
Old 05-30-13, 11:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

From experience overtime, it takes well over 100 miles of driving after resetting the fuse (roughly 160km) for the vehicle to learn your driving habits and function accordingly. That's the key here.

If the vehicle is in Park and started, it takes about 13 minutes to get up to normal temperature if the vehicle stays parked, and about 3 to 4 minutes if it is put in motion.
Old 06-02-13, 03:04 AM
bowen.chau
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
From experience overtime, it takes well over 100 miles of driving after resetting the fuse (roughly 160km) for the vehicle to learn your driving habits and function accordingly. That's the key here.

If the vehicle is in Park and started, it takes about 13 minutes to get up to normal temperature if the vehicle stays parked, and about 3 to 4 minutes if it is put in motion.
Hi Lexmex, I have drove the car for around 150 km since I have reset the computer. Since, no good sign. Sometimes it is good and sometimes the problem comes out again. Any clue?
Old 06-04-13, 03:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bowen.chau
Hi Lexmex, I have drove the car for around 150 km since I have reset the computer. Since, no good sign. Sometimes it is good and sometimes the problem comes out again. Any clue?
What are the bad signs you are getting?

The only other areas that this could be in terms of hesitation are the exhaust (namely a leak around gasket areas), transmission problem (fluid level or the tranny itself has issues (the vehicle turning off at some point is something that stood out to me from your earlier posts), fuel delivery (fuel injectors) or air intake, dirty air intake valve, IACV generally along with MAF causing hesitation.

Would like to know the bad signs of hesitation you are getting.
Old 06-05-13, 08:31 AM
bowen.chau
Rookie

Hi Lexmex,

Basically, my transmission acts strange after warming up the vehicle which the author (bchehab) of this post is experiencing. I am experiencing some shift delay from gear 1 to 2 and then gear 2 to 3. Every time when the vehicle shifts gear (both automatic and manual), the transmission does not shift immediately. It will keep in the original gear for 1-2 second before shifting to another gear, i.e. the dash board shows "2" in transmission, but actually the transmission is still at "1", and 1-2 second later, it will shift to "2". However, no hesitation when shifting from gear 3 to 4.

Once, when I have a full stop and shift to "R", the gear does not engaged immediately. It needs 1-2 seconds before the transmission shift gear to "R".

No CEL comes up. No pending code in ECU.
I have pulled the EFI fuse (20A) out for 5 minutes. I have had a "drain and fill" transmission oil changed 2 weeks ago after I have experienced the problem. The fluid level is normal and pink in color.

Last edited by bowen.chau; 06-05-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 06:19 AM
bowen.chau
Rookie

I am observing the patterns and it seems that I have found something.

When the hesitation begin, the temperature inside the engine room is relatively high. If I open my hood for a while and then close the hood, the transmission shift normally again.

I noticed that maybe one of my fans (high fans) is not working, i would like to know if a high fan malfunction can cause the hard shifting problem?
Old 06-06-13, 08:21 AM
bowen.chau
Rookie

I figured out the problem. It seems like my high fan has stopped working and making the temperature inside the engine room is too high and lead the transmission shift hard.

I have test drove the car with the hood popped up a little for one hour. The transmission shifts flawlessly.
So I will go and change my high fans. Is there any fuse for the high fan so that I can check with?
Old 06-06-13, 11:31 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

There should be a relay. Either the relay is bad or the signal to activate the relay is not energizing.

Salim
Old 06-06-13, 06:20 PM
bowen.chau
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
There should be a relay. Either the relay is bad or the signal to activate the relay is not energizing.

Salim
Hi Salim,

Where is this relay located so that I can give it a change.
The relay should control the temperature inside the engine room, like if it is too hot, it will switch to high fan and noticeable sound should be heard outside the car.
Thank you very much.

Bowen

Last edited by bowen.chau; 06-06-13 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 08:52 AM
bowen.chau
Rookie

I have just checked my two fans behind the radiator. They are both rotating. However, is there any speed control on those fan, like if the engine room is too hot, it will spin faster?
Old 06-07-13, 11:38 PM
bowen.chau
Rookie

I have just done another drain and fill today. Disconnected the battery. Still, the jerk and hesitation is still there..
Old 06-10-13, 06:53 PM
bowen.chau
Rookie

Guys, any clues?
Old 07-11-13, 01:44 PM
sfurry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting hard in low gear?

When the O2 sensors are removed my lexus will not shift hard, but when they are hooked back up it shifts very hard in low gear.

The bank 2 and bank 1 were both replaced.
Old 07-11-13, 02:22 PM
sfurry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 Lexus RX300 is shifting hard after replacing the O2 sensor when we disconnect it the car shifts fine in low gear, but once we replace the connections it starts to shift hard again in low gear?

Quick Reply: hard shifting with delay and hesitation