RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What did you do to your RX300 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 06:43 AM
ski2days
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default changed oil

changed the oil and wondered if the oil change guy is correct that he said my rear cv boots looked
cracked.
Old 12-23-13, 12:58 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i removed the roof rail to see if i can get a better mpg ..also removed the spare tire. Ya thats a gamble.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your RX300 today?-img_0153.jpg  
Old 12-23-13, 01:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by imherenow
i removed the roof rail to see if i can get a better mpg ..also removed the spare tire. Ya thats a gamble.
How much of an MPG improvement are you seeing after removing the roof rails?

I've thought about doing the same, but not sure if it's worth removing. The RX look's better with the rails on.
Old 12-23-13, 02:36 PM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had a roof rack on mine, I had to drive the Wife's MDX to help a friend move a matress set since the MDX has one.....

I wash mine about 3 days a week, I got a monthly car wash plan on the rx I can take it through once a day, as Long as I go 5 times a month at the minimum the plan is cheaper than just paying. I normally wash my own stuff, but in the winter I can't. They put a RF tag in the windshield and a reader picks it up. I don't even have to roll down the window.

I also chased down the mystery button mounted just above the heated seat switch, it belongs to a RF module wired to the antenae so you can hear a movie played in the back on the overhead entertainment screen across the speakers. It even had the frequency labeled on it so I could figure out what channel. The cool part is I can line in an I device to play back movies on one of those, or even hook up a blue tooth dock adapter and play music from my Gaxagy S4 or stream pandora. I'ts not as good as wired in quality but it's better than nothing....It has some engine noise feedback, I have to figure out how to filter that out.

I got two pairs of IR headphones for it too, although the wife wrapped them and stuck them under the tree before I could make sure they actually work with the system.
Old 12-23-13, 06:36 PM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
How much of an MPG improvement are you seeing after removing the roof rails?

I've thought about doing the same, but not sure if it's worth removing. The RX look's better with the rails on.
Ya i do like with the roof rack on too. Well i removed it today so will see how the mpg goes. But am pretty sure it will not affect that much. Right now i get 20mpg (according to the display)and that is like 90% city driving. I think if you do lot of highway driving than it may increase mpg a bit??plus i will fill the gas with highest octane which is Shell V-power. ooyaa!!
I have done all the basic maintenance already: cleaned throttle body and MAF, changed all filters and fluids, recently had oil change with mobil1 full syn and rotated tires too(has lot of tread life)

I want to give it a try.
Old 12-26-13, 11:38 AM
Lexusblack
Driver School Candidate

installed hid lights, led tail lights, and side step bar
Old 12-26-13, 03:13 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusblack
installed hid lights, led tail lights, and side step bar
put up some pics! which hid kit did you go with?
Old 12-26-13, 07:12 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Drove it to work for the first time this week and noticed how bad the fuel mileage is when the engine is cold and it's 17 degrees out....

Oh well...
Old 12-30-13, 07:22 AM
Lexusblack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
put up some pics! which hid kit did you go with?
I went with the xenon hid light, 6000K, nice and bright.
Old 12-30-13, 08:20 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Piggyback door lock actuator. Works like a champ!
Old 12-30-13, 08:24 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Did a drain and fill of the PS reservoir. It was the fourth time I did in past 100 miles, it's looking like new now. And, the steering feels incredibly smooth, Lexus smooth! Not sure if it's the placebo effect... lol
Old 01-05-14, 10:16 PM
mizak82
Rookie

I switched my bulbs to sylvania silverstar ZXE's for my fog lights, low beam, and high beams.. Only last 300 hours, but they are much whiter and brighter, makes the car feel much newer than the dull yellow.. high beams will last for a long time since I never use them, they are also brighter than it was with the fog and low lights on before.. So the fogs dont need to be on all the time.. But looking like the low beams will last about a year.. We will see if it was worth the 150 bucks..
Old 12-14-15, 09:43 PM
imherenow
Racer

did a AC cleaning after it was smelling bad. Cabin filter was in good condition. So went ahead and bought Toyota AC cleaning kit. AND this product works wonders. I think every one should use it. I got it from dealer for lie $20. Its expensive but the results were amazing and easy to do as well.
Now the AC runs smooth and no more smell!!!
And check out the dirt that came out..yuck
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your RX300 today?-toyota.jpg   What did you do to your RX300 today?-toyotaa.jpg  
Old 12-15-15, 01:07 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

did a AC cleaning after it was smelling bad. Cabin filter was in good condition. So went ahead and bought Toyota AC cleaning kit. AND this product works wonders. I think every one should use it. I got it from dealer for lie $20. Its expensive but the results were amazing and easy to do as well.
That looks like a cool kit. Did you shoot the foam up the drain like this?

http://carspecmn.com/toyota-and-lexu...ion-and-repair
Old 12-15-15, 04:54 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Do you have the part number of the cleaning kit? Perhaps on your invoice?

Can you post pics of the evap drain location on the RX? It would make for a good DIY.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your RX300 today?