RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Loud Noise Start Up, Airy accelerating, Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 09:20 AM
kidlex93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Noise Start Up, Airy accelerating, Leak

I have a 99 rx300 with about 161,100 miles on it. Towards the end of winter my car started making weird sounds. As soon as I turn it on it sounds like a monster. I can hear it from in my room and i park it outside, not in the garage. Also whenever i accelerate it sounds really "airy" and abnormally loud. My friend who has a greater knowledge of cars said that it was probably the exhaust manifold. He told me to check under the car for a leak as soon as I started and of course theres a leak coming from under the car. I'll try taking a picture today before I head out to show where it is.

Can any of you guys help me out and give me some idea's on whats wrong. I'm taking it to my mechanic this friday/saturday and want to get a general idea of whats wrong before. Many thanks in advance
Old 04-11-11, 11:37 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

There is an ongoing discussion on exhaust leak. It could be he flex joint, hole in the piping and even a in the manifold.

You can do search.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...old-crack.html

You can visit a muffler shop and they can suggest alternatives.

Dealer solution will be to replace the bad part (instead of a patch-up)

Salim
Old 04-11-11, 01:14 PM
kidlex93
Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGy92S-naz4
Old 04-12-11, 05:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

That area sounds like an exhaust gasket going bad as below. There are two 14mm bolts that hold those joints on. I don't remember the gaskets being that expensive and it is likely something even an exhaust shop has or you could pick up at the dealer. It might be possible just to tighten up the two bolts and see if that helps cure the problem temporarily, but eventually the gaskets go.
Attached Thumbnails Loud Noise Start Up, Airy accelerating, Leak-rottedburned.jpg  
Old 04-17-11, 10:06 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In my similar experience, the two "weakest links" in the exhaust system when loud airy noise are heard are: (1) the flex pipe, for which you can get an OEM direct fit replacement on rockauto.com (walker # 53421) for around $70 including two gaskets; I just did it about four months ago. (2) the joint between the y-pipe and the front of the main cat. converter, where two sping-plus-bolt set connect the back-end of the pipe with the main converter; because the joint's forced connection by springs and is therefore "movable", the seal could be cracked or broken and leave a big crack inside the fitting; you can find the seal ring and spring-bolt set on rockauto.com as well; I replaced the seal ring and spring-bolt set not long ago and eliminated the airy noise.

I learned the trick to identify the exhaust leak on this forum: at the night drive the car to hot and park it in a garage; then in the next morning, immediately after starting the car, look at the two joints for steammy air and/or water drips; if they are observed, you know where the leaks are. In my case, white steammy air coming out from the back end of the flex pipe and water drips from the spring-bolt/y-pipe/converter joint.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-11, 12:37 PM
kidlex93
Rookie

i went to my mechanic and he said it was the exhaust gasket. it looked really bad, he had to blow torch the screws off and chip off the old gasket with a flathead and hammer. he replaced it and and oil changed for $100. Thanks everyone
Old 04-17-11, 02:10 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the exhaust leak at the y-pipe and main cat. converter joint? If so, check the repair work again: it must use the proper spring-bolt combination to tightern the pipe end with the main cat. converter (to allow some movement) with the proper bowl like very think seal-ring gasket to have a very tightly fit. Installed unproperly, such as not using OEM direct-fit mounting parts, you may end up with ratlling noises by exhaust parts at startup and vehicle viabration noises later on.