RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 07:10 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Newbie Here

Hello all. A few months ago my Dad gave me a 2000 RX300. The vehicle is in really good shape despite having over 280,000 miles on it. When I first got it I cleaned everything inside it, Dad pretty much used it as a work truck so, it had a little grime in it as well as some Florida pine sap on it also. I gave it a good detailing and she came out looking really good overall. The exterior color is Green Mica and interior is ivory., looks tan to me, but apparently is ivory. It's been a pretty nice vehicle so far, it's got some strange issues, but overall performs well, I'm actually getting 27.6 mpg average right now after driving it to work all week, interstate mainly. I think that's pretty darn good for a vehicle with over 280,000 miles on it. The interior is really nice and comfy, has the rear cargo shade cover and Lexus mat, even still has the Lexus first aid kit with everything still sealed up inside it, pretty neat stuff. It does have its quirks though. For instance, the sunroof doesn't seem to want to open although when I depress the switch I hear something up there clicking, it clicks once, like it wants to open, maybe it is just stuck. Dad said it worked but that he never used it so, it may be just stuck. Another quirk is the driver's door window, when it goes up in auto mode, it gets to the top and then goes back down about an inch, you have to slowly go up with it to get it to stay up all the way, Dad said it has always done that. The passenger rear window will go down in auto from the main controls but won't go up from the main controls but the control on the actual door works fine. Another quirk is that the door locks will all unlock but both fronts will not lock automatically, you have to manually lock them. Right now the check engine light is on for the rear bank o2 sensor, I changed it and the light was off for all of about 5 minutes then came back on for the same o2 sensor, so I have no idea why. Anyway, even with its quirks and high mileage, it's a nice ride. Hopefully with some continued tlc, it will be around for a little while longer. Glad I found this forum and hopefully with y'alls help I can get the quirks worked out.
Old 10-04-19, 10:36 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

First a warm welcome to Club Lexus.

The first gen RX is awesome vehicle and requires regular maintenance [look up in the set of books and follow the recommended services].

For new members, the sticky threads are a must read. Many if not all of the issues you have, have been addressed.

Lot of folks dont bother reading the Owner's manual, but a quick glance is really worth the time.

Most likely you need to teach your RX the pinch protection for windows and maybe for the sun-roof [although the sun-roof may have other issues].
A word of advice ... when faced with a problem think the next step through ... example: dont be obsessed in getting the sun roof to open without thinking of ..once it opens then what .. would you be able to close it? so it is better to leave it closed and deal with it when you can handle the situation if it does not close.
Look up "door lock actuator" and if you DIY, do not put the trim back on and test the system for few days.
Engine is transverse and 1,3,5 are next to the firewall.
I am Lexus/toyota bigot and I would not put any sensor that is not OEM and does not come from dealer or reputed place.

Salim
Old 10-04-19, 04:25 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to read the "stickys".
Old 10-05-19, 06:34 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

That's good advise about the sunroof. Mine acted a little odd the other day, I tried to close it and it wouldn't. I pressed the the switch a couple of times each way and eventually it closed. I was out of town at the time and I thought, "better not open in again until you get home where your tools are (and a tarp)". My driver's window switch acts funny sometimes also. If I crack the window just a little and later pull up on the switch to close it, it goes down instead of up. I'm going to put a clear plastic bag (the big kind you use for recycling) in the car in case I put one of the windows down and it won't go back up. You never know when it's going to rain. The leather in mine is still really nice and I hate for it to get wet.

Last edited by Fit1too; 10-05-19 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 07:21 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Just thought of this. I know it shows the selected gear in the instrument cluster, but is there supposed to be a light in the actual gear selector showing selected gear there also? No lights in that area.
Old 10-07-19, 08:17 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Yes there should be indicator lights for each selected gear. Many members have reported that their 'D' indicator doesn't light up. There is a fix for that here on the forum. At least a few should be working.
Old 10-07-19, 09:26 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

I am talking about the actual console shifter, is it supposed to be lit as well? The indicator in the instrument cluster works as it should.
Old 10-07-19, 09:43 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

I don't believe the console indicators light up, I wish they did though.
Old 10-07-19, 09:56 AM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Thank you for the replies. I agree, it would be nice if the console shifter indicator would light up as well.