RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Squealing and AC problems. Plz help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 02:34 AM
wujiamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Squealing and AC problems. Plz help.

Hey my car started squealing when I turn the car on. It's been getting increasingly louder and has been lasting longer. After a few minutes, the noise stops. Sometimes the car won't squeal at all when I turn it on. Lately it hasn't but I'm sure it will come back.

My a/c also started squealing when I turn it on too. So I would turn it off and wait a few minutes before turning it on again and it would stop squealing. But after a while, even if I drive for like half an hour, I can't turn my a/c on without it squealing. I was afraid of leaving it on in case it breaks because the noise sounds pretty bad. But when my friend drove my car, he left the a/c on and then it just flat out broke. So now I can hear the a/c working and the air blowing but nothing comes out of the vents. Sometimes when I start it, I feel cold air blowing from the top of the dashboard or under it for a little while. I'm pretty sure my a/c is working and the air is cold but its just not coming out of my vents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-17-11, 06:11 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus!

There are 2 accessory belts on the bottom-passenger-side of the engine that drive stuff like the A/C compressor. The early symptoms of squeeking on start-up is normally the indication that these belts are due for replacment.

So, check out these two belts. If needed, I would recommend replacment with OEM belts.
Old 03-18-11, 05:20 AM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem on my old Nissan. As bob said, it's just one of the belts going bad, in your case it's the A/C one. Just replace it and it should stop
Old 03-19-11, 04:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Sounds like a loose belt. Check the belt tension and make sure that its correct. If it still squeals, then it probably needs replaced. And if it still squeals, it could be one or more tensioners going bad.
Old 03-19-11, 07:36 PM
4Danigirl
Driver School Candidate

We replaced both belts and still have screeching?? What next?
Old 03-19-11, 08:00 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Danigirl
We replaced both belts and still have screeching?? What next?
The problem has to be diagnosed.

Look for the obvious one ... change load (engaging the A/C clutch), turning the steering wheel, spraying water on the belts etc.

Once you eliminate those, mechanic's stethoscope can help.

Idler in the timing belt can cause a squealing as well.

Salim
Old 03-21-11, 02:05 AM
wujiamin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skyspydude
I had the same problem on my old Nissan. As bob said, it's just one of the belts going bad, in your case it's the A/C one. Just replace it and it should stop
Is it just the A/C because it squeals when I start the car and sometimes when I drive and the A/C isn't on.
Old 03-21-11, 11:40 AM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wujiamin
Is it just the A/C because it squeals when I start the car and sometimes when I drive and the A/C isn't on.
How long does it last after you start the car? There are a few belts that could be going bad. You might just want to look over all of your belts an see if any of them are fraying or falling apart.
Old 03-21-11, 01:29 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Did you use OEM Toyota/Lexus belts, and are they tensioned properly...If you can twist the belt (AC) more than 90 degrees in the middle of the span (longest) than the belt is too loose.....
Old 11-30-11, 02:26 PM
wujiamin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help everyone! I had my mechanic tightened all of the belts and it stopped squealing.
Old 03-08-15, 11:21 AM
misterc01
Driver School Candidate

Default Squeal

To help pinpoint a belt issue - put some regular toothpaste on the belt in several places where it will contact the pulleys you can reach. If that stops the squeal, clean the pulleys and replace the belt. The toothpaste will temporarily break any glazing on the belt. You can do the same with bar soap., but toothpaste has a better tooth to it (yeah - pun intended).
Old 03-09-15, 08:26 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree with the others; its definitely a belt(s) going south. Time to replace them as thats a clear indication that they are just about done.
Old 03-09-15, 10:34 AM
vimal01997
Rookie

You need to have your Alternator/Powersteering and A/C belts replaced. I had the same exact issue. I had both belts replaced. Ordered them off eBay for like $24 for total for both. (Toyota wanted to rob me asking for 79 for both). Once you have these 2 belts replaced (alternator/powersteering and A/C belts), you should be fine. Chow!
Old 03-09-15, 11:02 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

FYI, this thread is 4 years old. haha
Old 03-09-15, 09:42 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vimal01997
You need to have your Alternator/Powersteering and A/C belts replaced. I had the same exact issue. I had both belts replaced. Ordered them off eBay for like $24 for total for both. (Toyota wanted to rob me asking for 79 for both). Once you have these 2 belts replaced (alternator/powersteering and A/C belts), you should be fine. Chow!
what's the part #? any link?

Quick Reply: Squealing and AC problems. Plz help.