RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replace power steering pump or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 12:46 PM
rkt10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace power steering pump or not?

We have a '99 RX300 and we've been told that we need to replace the power steering pump. I'm wondering if that's necessary. And if it is, does anyone have instructions to show how to do it ourselves.

Our '99 RX300 has about 211k miles and has been driven on highways regularly. Just a few days ago we noticed a few spots on the garage floor which we knew we needed to check out.

Yesterday I noticed a whining that I (mechanically uneducated) thought might be low transmission fluid. The good fellows at the auto parts store told me it was power steering fluid, which was, indeed low.

After replacing with one bottle of fluid, the whining stopped.

Today I took it to the local Goodyear store and they diagnosed the need to replace the Power Steering Pump. To the tune of over $500.

So here are my questions:
1. Would it be foolhardy to simply keep topping off the fluid, since it's so cheap?
2. Would it be easy for my husband (a little bit capable mechanically) to replace the pump himself?
3. Does anyone have access to a pdf of the 99 RX300 Service Manual that I could download... which would show how to replace the pump?

Thanks in advance.
Rita
Old 02-26-11, 01:43 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you didn't put power steering fluid into the RX300. The power steering takes, as I recall, dextron automatic transmission fluid. Check your owners manual. If a mechanic put power steering fluid in, you may have the grounds for a claim/lawsuit.
Old 02-26-11, 02:07 PM
rkt10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
I hope you didn't put power steering fluid into the RX300. The power steering takes, as I recall, dextron automatic transmission fluid. Check your owners manual. If a mechanic put power steering fluid in, you may have the grounds for a claim/lawsuit.

Um, oh oh. Auto Zone sold me Prestone Power Steering Fluid + stop leak. The attendant put it in, and threw the empty bottle away.

Does this sound as if I might need to do the replacement pump as a consequence of this error? I was hoping to do something cheap. Now I"m truly worried.
Old 02-26-11, 03:48 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The RX300 takes ATF, as power steering fluid. I use mobil 1 full synthetic atf in the power steering, and it loves it.

The power steering fluid in the power steering probably won't cause an issue, as atf and power steering fluid are both hydraulic fluids.
Old 02-26-11, 03:58 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you (family) are not mechanically inclined or have the tools, then buy the parts and take it to any mechanic. No special skills are required.

Procedure is:

New pump (after market are available ,,, I would stick to OEM)
Banjo, washers.

Get under the Rx.
Loosen the nuts and bolt that secure the pump. (one nut is accessed through the hole in the pulley).

Push the pump to loosen the belt and take off the belt.
If needed retighten nuts/bolts, and undo the pressure pipes (high and low), collect the pump fluid. * [I dont recommend removing the pipes earlier as you may have to abort if the belt does not get off]
Remove the nuts/bolts and take the pump out.
Undo the pulley nut and remove the pulley [You may need vise/impact-wrench/gear puller]
Install the pulley in the new pump.
Install the new pump.
Remove and discard the caps (dust protector).
Install new banjo washer and re-connect the pipes.
Put the belt on and push the pump to create right tension on the belt.
Secure all nuts and bolts to proper tension (including the pipes).
Fill the reservoir.
Start the RX and turn steering wheel all the way to the left and stay for 15 sec.
Then turn the wheel all the way to the right and stay 15 sec.
This would purge the air.
Repeat couple of times till the reservoir shows no bubbles.

Salim
Old 03-12-11, 10:21 PM
buset
Driver School Candidate

never mix the power steering fluid with the dextron trans fluid, it will ruind your gasket on your power steering pump , it happen's to one of my friends car. never.....do that
Old 03-13-11, 05:16 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by buset
never mix the power steering fluid with the dextron trans fluid, it will ruind your gasket on your power steering pump , it happen's to one of my friends car. never.....do that
No, it won't. They are both hydraulic fluids!
Old 03-13-11, 09:19 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by buset
I think this applies to Hondas. You should stick to Honda approved steering pump fluid for Honda vehicles.

Salim
Old 06-18-12, 08:13 AM
Tomjrau
Driver School Candidate

Just replaced the power steering pump on a 2000 rx300 AWD model over the weekend. A few notes about the procedure. The pump is secured by only 2 bolts, one on the top side of the pump, another toward the front of the vehicle which functions to adjust the power steering belt tension by bolting to the slotted groove. Neither bolt is accessed through the pulley! The bolts that are seen through the pulley function to secure the pump mounting bracket to the pump. It took a total of about 5 hrs to do the whole procedure, mainly due to tight working space and seized bolts. Otherwise not technically difficult.

The vehicle had 208k miles. Dealer quoted $845 to perform the job. The pump costs $143 at a local shop.
Old 06-18-12, 04:34 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomjrau
The vehicle had 208k miles. Dealer quoted $845 to perform the job. The pump costs $143 at a local shop.
Well done!
Old 03-10-16, 05:03 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you (family) are not mechanically inclined or have the tools, then buy the parts and take it to any mechanic. No special skills are required.

Procedure is:

New pump (after market are available ,,, I would stick to OEM)
Banjo, washers.

Get under the Rx.
Loosen the nuts and bolt that secure the pump. (one nut is accessed through the hole in the pulley).

Push the pump to loosen the belt and take off the belt.
If needed retighten nuts/bolts, and undo the pressure pipes (high and low), collect the pump fluid. * [I dont recommend removing the pipes earlier as you may have to abort if the belt does not get off]
Remove the nuts/bolts and take the pump out.
Undo the pulley nut and remove the pulley [You may need vise/impact-wrench/gear puller]
Install the pulley in the new pump.
Install the new pump.
Remove and discard the caps (dust protector).
Install new banjo washer and re-connect the pipes.
Put the belt on and push the pump to create right tension on the belt.
Secure all nuts and bolts to proper tension (including the pipes).
Fill the reservoir.
Start the RX and turn steering wheel all the way to the left and stay for 15 sec.
Then turn the wheel all the way to the right and stay 15 sec.
This would purge the air.
Repeat couple of times till the reservoir shows no bubbles.

Salim
Do you do the steering part with power steering reservoir cap on or off? And would a Duralast Pump work from autozone or is there a different name/brand to stick with if i cant get an OEM and is it a toyota pump or is it a different brand that comes on it from the factory? I'm needing to change mine, the fluid smells burnt and pump is starting to whine and have hard/soft spots when turning while going slow, the slower i go the worse it is. Was gonna flush it but im not wasting the nearly $20 i spent on the Synthetic ATF i bought for it so i'll wait till i change the pump to add that, just need a little more info before i purchase the wrong thing, i try shopping rockauto before i go to parts store or amazon
Old 03-10-16, 06:04 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

In my 99 RX with 232K, my power steering pump has been 'damp' for tens of thousands of miles. I seldom need to add any power steering fluid to top it up. I have no intention of replacing the pump.
Old 03-10-16, 06:07 PM
salimshah

I personally would stay with one supplied by online Lexus dealerships. I can not comment on after market (amazon/ebay/car_parts_store).

You will need to uncap to ease the drain. Then put the cap back on to prevent anything dropping in the reservoir.

Salim
Old 03-10-16, 06:37 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you change the pump I highly recommend Max life or mobile one but Max life is a little less expensive at Walmart for quarts. I ran in 1986 Toyota Cressida over 529,000 miles with the same pump power steering also the same transmission using mobile one I now use Max life a lot less expensive and is every bit as good as mobile one. I just got rid of my 1991 Lexus LS 400 with 400,000 miles same transmission same power steering motor and rear end using Max life. I just bought a 2001 Rx 300 I change all the fluids to Max life I should get at least 300,000 to 400,000 miles I changed my fluid every 40,000 in the transmission and power steering. I use mobile one in the motor change it every 15,000 I've done that for years no car has ever failed me in the Toyota or Lexus line.. I ran into a company in Huntington Beach California called ddm tuning who directly import LED tail light bulbs that are so bright they are unbelievable. They use Cree chips to get this brightness the bulbs are about $20 a piece and they are as bright as any brand-new car on the road today. Their phone number 714 – 901 – 5080 on www.DDMtuning.com the also have the HID kits that are absolutely bright lifetime warranty $35. Next month they will have LED headlights.
Old 03-10-16, 07:28 PM
Roop10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is what i bought, the whinning isnt loud, its barely noticeable with the hood open, the fluid smells really burnt so i figured maybe pump is bad or going bad, do yall think i can just flush the flood and put the Mobil 1 in there and it will be fine again or do you think it will still have the hard/soft spots when steering at really slow speeds/barely moving. Also as for the cap i was asking do you leave it off when you turn the car on and turn the wheel all the way to the left for 15secs and same for right or do you put the cap back on the reservoir before you do the turning? to get the fluid into the new pump that is

Quick Reply: Replace power steering pump or not?