RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

should I replace the battery, and with what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 03:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm using walmart's Everstart 850cca.
Old 03-26-11, 04:28 PM
kasak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have read this thread before buying the Costco kirkland "fit #3" battery (the catalog near the battery section lists Lexus RX300 to go with #3) few hrs back. Price is $59.99. I don't have the other numbers with me.
Changed the battery in the parking lot. It had a panasonic batter and mentions "maintenance free' (not sure what it means). The new one (kirkland) is slightly taller (probably .5 cm) as the screws on the bracket that holds the battery had to be loosened. And the side of the bracket that fits to the frame above the radiator, didn't fit completely. I tightened it (hopefully didn't over do it). Used the smaller wrench that is in the car tool kit.
I vaguely remember that might have bought one in Walmart couple of years back? We have to jump start RX300 after we let the head lights on for just 15min. My wife is getting worried about battery.. and I just replaced it with a new one without any reading on it in this forum.
Old 03-26-11, 05:46 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kasak
The new one (kirkland) is slightly taller (probably .5 cm) as the screws on the bracket that holds the battery had to be loosened. And the side of the bracket that fits to the frame above the radiator, didn't fit completely. I tightened it (hopefully didn't over do it).
I had the same experience about 4 years ago, and reported it here on this forum. Others have said they didn't, so it might be year specific. I used two washers in the front as spacers. The clearance has not been a problem.
Old 06-14-11, 09:14 AM
LA4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

NEW battery - NOW won't start! Lights, Radio, LCD is ON! but turn key and does not even try to kick-over. HELP!!! I just changed my battery using the WalMart Maxx 24FS 800 Amps (replacing an earlier Walmart brand battery that lasted 6 yrs). P.S I wanted to start a NEW thread but I am a new user and could not find "Post New Thread" although it says I have permission.
Old 06-14-11, 09:25 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Lexus
NEW battery - NOW won't start! Lights, Radio, LCD is ON! but turn key and does not even try to kick-over. HELP!!! I just changed my battery using the WalMart Maxx 24FS 800 Amps (replacing an earlier Walmart brand battery that lasted 6 yrs). P.S I wanted to start a NEW thread but I am a new user and could not find "Post New Thread" although it says I have permission.
Not starting a new thread is better ... unless the subject is different.
I would redo the terminals (check polarity) ... Look for + and - and not just the colors. Batteries come with posts reversed, so dont make assumptions based on previous battery post position.

The retailer should charge the batteries and there is a slight chance that you picked up a discharged battery.

The posts may not be clean or the clamp can be loose. Try twisting the terminal, there should be no slip.

There could be problems with your RX. After verifying the post/terminals and posts, you can try jump starting.

Salim
Old 06-14-11, 09:56 AM
LA4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Won't Start Just replaced Battery

OK - update. It now starts only 1 out of 5 attempts! My friend thinks it could be a starter relay or starter selonoid (spelling ?). Is it just a coincidence that I have a starter problem the day I replace a 6-yr old battery? I had all the symptoms of a bad battery; reset clock, need jump after 3 days of not driving, etc. thanks Any advice what should be my next step in DIY?

Last edited by LA4Lexus; 06-14-11 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-14-11, 11:00 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Lexus
OK - update. It now starts 4 out of 5 attempts. My friend thinks it could be a started relay or starter selonoid (spelling ?). Is it just a coincidence that I have a starter problem the day I replace a 6-yr old battery. I had all the symptoms of a bad battery; reset clock, need jump after 3 days of not driving, etc. thanks
You certainly had the symptoms of a bad battery. As has been reported on this forum, the most common starter problem are the contacts on the starter solenoid. These contacts can be replaced at a modest cost, although you may have to get the parts at a Toyota dealer (as I recall).
Old 06-14-11, 11:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The 1 time it doesn't start out of 5 does it crank? or just click? if it just clicks, then try the headlights at that time is they are still bright then it's your starter if there dim or not on then your terminals are loose.
Old 06-14-11, 11:50 AM
LA4Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Starts 1 of 5 After Replacing NEW Walmart Battery

Originally Posted by hypervish
The 1 time it doesn't start out of 5 does it crank? or just click? if it just clicks, then try the headlights at that time is they are still bright then it's your starter if there dim or not on then your terminals are loose.
Correction (I made an update) - It starts 1 out of 5. I will check the headlights and report back. thank you
Old 11-01-12, 11:31 PM
salimshah

Here is my latest experience with my trusted Optima (Red).

Left the interior light ON for days and yesterday the battery had discharged to 4.5v.

Guess what, at that voltage, my battery charger would keep cutting out and had to take it to Autozone. Good folks out there put it on charge for 24 hours and brought the voltage up to 12v. I have it back and plan to charge it for another 24hours.

Salim
Old 11-02-12, 02:14 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Here is my latest experience with my trusted Optima (Red).

Left the interior light ON for days and yesterday the battery had discharged to 4.5v.

Guess what, at that voltage, my battery charger would keep cutting out and had to take it to Autozone. Good folks out there put it on charge for 24 hours and brought the voltage up to 12v. I have it back and plan to charge it for another 24hours.

Salim
Salim,
24 hr. charge to bring it up to 12 V? Wonder what amperage they were charging it at? Even on a trickle charger it seems like it should have charged up farther than that. Low amperage is the proper way to go, especially with a deep discharged battery. I have and use (favor most) a "Smart charger" because it will sense the temp of the battery and charge rate and adjust to keep the battery at normal temp. (when felt there is NO temp rise whatsovever, regardless of how deeply discharged).
IF you are using a dual voltage charger (6&12V) the trick I learned years ago, if it kicks off when you start to charge, set it on 6V for about 5 min. or so, then when set to 12V it will NOT kick off, but charge the way the charger is supposed to. Just needs to get a trickle going and then works fine on 12V. This is only when there is a deep discharge, the shock of the 12V off the bat is a little too much for it.
Old 11-02-12, 07:27 AM
salimshah

Now it is about 13.2v (no-load).

'zone guy was saying that Optima take a very long time to charge fully.

My experience with lead-acid types was that when they are discharged .. they loose the current capacity and still show 12v (no-load). If you have a bad cell then the voltage drops. With Opitma, it just showed 4.5 volts. I really though there was a bad cell or something.

I am glad I did not try to jump and used the charger. That lead me to check the voltage. Opitma owners take note.

To find the root cause of the problem, I did not touch anything and when I installed the battery, the interior light bulb lighting up, was a clear give away.

I learn new things every day.

Salim
Old 11-03-12, 04:22 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The cells all need to line up as they charge and discharge they fall over and straighten further giving you a stronger lasting charge. It takes a few charges of any battery and discharges to make it properly operational.
Old 11-04-12, 01:21 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Australian
The cells all need to line up as they charge and discharge they fall over and straighten further giving you a stronger lasting charge. It takes a few charges of any battery and discharges to make it properly operational.
It must be a different language than I speak. I have never heard of that before and pretty sure I don't understand that. No.... I'm really sure I don't understand that.
Old 11-04-12, 04:49 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Am I the only one rocking the big bad green monster under my hood???
My interstate battery is always ready to crank... Left interior on from Friday night to Monday morning and she still cranked no problems.

Good enough for NASCAR good enough for my RX

Quick Reply: should I replace the battery, and with what?