RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hi, Just Joined

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 03:58 PM
DIYfool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, Just Joined

I am tickled to find this forum.

My wife just bought a 2000 RX300 and I am having a few probs.

The power antenna would not go up and down, just stayed extended. Further investigation revealed that the previous owner had atempted to install a universal power antenna motor and mast. In doing so they cut the pigtail off that plugs into the motor. I have a new motor and have ordered what I hope is a pigtail for the motor from Sewell's Auto Parts. We shall see. Any reliable places to order parts for Lexus on line?

Another problem is the engine light. My mechanic, not an authorized Lexus guy, runs diagnostics, resets everything and after a few start ups the engine light reappears. Is this common?

Additional minor problem. Battery life runs down quickly. For instance, interior lights left on or running the radio without the engine on runs the battery down pretty quickly. Battery test at the local parts warehouse indicate the battery is good. Common?

Again, I am very pleased to find this forum. Hope you can help out.
Old 01-17-11, 09:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DIYfool
I am tickled to find this forum.

My wife just bought a 2000 RX300 and I am having a few probs.

The power antenna would not go up and down, just stayed extended. Further investigation revealed that the previous owner had atempted to install a universal power antenna motor and mast. In doing so they cut the pigtail off that plugs into the motor. I have a new motor and have ordered what I hope is a pigtail for the motor from Sewell's Auto Parts. We shall see. Any reliable places to order parts for Lexus on line?

Another problem is the engine light. My mechanic, not an authorized Lexus guy, runs diagnostics, resets everything and after a few start ups the engine light reappears. Is this common?

Additional minor problem. Battery life runs down quickly. For instance, interior lights left on or running the radio without the engine on runs the battery down pretty quickly. Battery test at the local parts warehouse indicate the battery is good. Common?

Again, I am very pleased to find this forum. Hope you can help out.
Welcome to the Club.

The antenna issue I know has been discussed here before, and I am going to defer to some group members on this as I haven't had this issue occur before.

With the engine light, there is a code that can be pulled up with the same device that is used to clear it, usually like say P0171 or some other code. Get that code and post it here and we can help you diagnose it.

How long have you had the battery in question?
Old 01-17-11, 03:00 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Neither is common or normal. The Check Engine Light (CEL) indication is actually three bulbs lighting. If only one light appears, it is possibly the brake system warning or bulb-failure lights. If the battery is over 3 years old and you are getting symptoms, I would replace it for sure.
Old 01-17-11, 06:20 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the group. Everyone here has been so helpful to me. I've had the antenna issue before -- I replaced the mast with a Lexus mast once, but eventually I had to replace the whole assembly with a salvage one. New ones run bout $160 from online Lexus vendors like Sewell , irontoad, and rockauto mentioned around this forum. I've had good luck with them!
Old 01-17-11, 07:00 PM
ski2days
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

be sure all the hoses are connected behind the aIr filter. Quick lube oil joints always knock the hose loose when changeing the air filter. Take flashlight and look behind filter and down.
Old 01-17-11, 07:38 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Does your mechanic know how to interpret the code(s)? Is he correcting the problem before he re-sets the CEL? Re-setting the CEL without correcting the problem will just result in it re-appearing within a day.
Old 01-19-11, 08:03 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

This site had it for $137 plus shipping

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...82&catalogid=0

look in electrical/body electrical/antenna and radio/antenna