RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Trailer/Tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 11:59 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer/Tow Hitch

Hey everyone!

Anyone know who manufactures OEM trailer/tow hitches for the RX300? I need to see about getting one, but would rather go directly to manufacturer as opposed to dealer.

Unless anyone has one to offer for sale, then problem solved!!!
Let me know if you do.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-16-11, 04:35 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Do a search and you will find out the real issue is with the wiring you have (based on the yr of manufacture).

The hitch is just a block of iron and as long as it fits, it does not make a difference who makes it. If you need the electronics, then it is an issue of how easy it is to interface (plug'nPlay vs cut-splice).

Salim
Old 01-17-11, 11:25 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Do a search and you will find out the real issue is with the wiring you have (based on the yr of manufacture).

The hitch is just a block of iron and as long as it fits, it does not make a difference who makes it. If you need the electronics, then it is an issue of how easy it is to interface (plug'nPlay vs cut-splice).

Salim
Thanks for your feedback and insight on this.

However, I'm not at all concerned about the strength quality of the hitch and it's craftsmanship, especially since I am not looking to do any kind of hauling. All I need it for is to just attach my bike rack to carry bikes on. Besides, from what I hear, the RX is a lousy candidate for hauling (lack of overall hauling power and engine/tranny issues regarding overheating).

The reason I'm inquiring about OEM is appearance. I have found that most aftermarket hitches tend to be more "visible" as opposed to the OEM hitch.

As for wiring, again... just want to haul my family's bike around... so no need to worry about tail-light issues.

Thanks again for your feedback and insight.

Anyone else that can shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-18-11, 06:42 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch

Have you considered check with some of the local auto salvage yards? There are also on-line auto salvage sites. You may be able to locate just what you are looking for.
Old 01-18-11, 06:48 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My frame hitch is only used for a bike rack, 2 inch opening, I have no wiring back there either.

Should be easy for you, as the label on it says 'U-Haul'.
They will even install.
Old 01-20-11, 07:20 PM
varithms
Rookie

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2003_Lexus_RX300.htm
Old 01-20-11, 09:52 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Thanks so much guys for the helpful feedback so far.

Varithms, thanks for taking the time to search out the HiddenHitch model and pics for the RX. I had already looked at that optional route to take, but if you notice, when comparing OEM to the aftermarket hitches, the aftermarket hitches tend to "show" quite a bit more as opposed to OEM in which its' design really only exposes the center connecting part (sorry forgot the correct technical name) when trailing behind the vehicle.

It's really more about the look of the overall hitch on the RX as opposed to functionality that I'm after here. After all, as previously mentioned by Salimshaw on this thread: "The hitch is just a block of iron and as long as it fits, it does not make a difference who makes it."

Thanks again guys!!!
Old 01-21-11, 01:13 PM
karasdad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Hidden Hitch that I bought on the internet for my 2000 RX300, just bolted it on myself. I think it was $150 delivered. No electrics. just use it for a Yakima Double Down four bike rack. Looks fine, works great.
Old 01-21-11, 01:38 PM
varithms
Rookie

Originally Posted by Member1115
Thanks so much guys for the helpful feedback so far.

Varithms, thanks for taking the time to search out the HiddenHitch model and pics for the RX. I had already looked at that optional route to take, but if you notice, when comparing OEM to the aftermarket hitches, the aftermarket hitches tend to "show" quite a bit more as opposed to OEM in which its' design really only exposes the center connecting part (sorry forgot the correct technical name) when trailing behind the vehicle.

It's really more about the look of the overall hitch on the RX as opposed to functionality that I'm after here. After all, as previously mentioned by Salimshaw on this thread: "The hitch is just a block of iron and as long as it fits, it does not make a difference who makes it."

Thanks again guys!!!
No problem, I'm in the market for one. I have been checking craigslist and ebay also.
Old 01-21-11, 05:08 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karasdad
I have the Hidden Hitch that I bought on the internet for my 2000 RX300, just bolted it on myself. I think it was $150 delivered. No electrics. just use it for a Yakima Double Down four bike rack. Looks fine, works great.
Please post up a pic or two of the hidden hitch
Old 01-23-11, 04:17 PM
karasdad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some pics of my 2000 RX300 with the Hidden Hitch. Yes, it probably isn't quite as sleek as the OEM version but it's pretty inexpensive. You also wouldn't notice it as much as you think, and who really cares, the car is almost 11 years old. It might be a lot less noticeable without the white Hidden Hitch logo label and if it wasn't so glossy...hope this helps

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharee

Last edited by karasdad; 01-25-11 at 06:23 AM.