RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Stripped Engine Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 07:30 AM
golfman8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Engine Oil Drain Plug

Has anyone had a problem with the oil pan stripping out just from having the oil changed 35 times. My lexus mechanic says that is the problem. I had my oil changed yesterday (175,000 miles) and the mechanic came in and told me that the pan stripped out while placing the plug back in. He said that Lexus will do that if at some point someone overtightned it and since he has only changed it the last three times, he did not feel responsible. Wants me to pay $500.00 to replace.
Is this something that I should be responsible for?
Thanks in advance.
Golfman8
Old 01-12-11, 11:25 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is bull... he stripped it, he's responsible. Doesn't matter how many times it's been changed. Mechanics have a tendancy to want to put as much torque into that plug as possible. It only needs to be tight, not gorilla tightened on.

Even if the "previous" mechanics had overtightened it, he was final one that messed it up so it's his fault. So what, if there is a chip on the window that isn't spreading, but somehow he drops a ratchet lets say on the windshield and cracks it, he's not responsible because the windshield was old and it had a chip already?

Also, where is the $500 coming from? He's replacing the engine? The pan alone is maybe $200 tops.

Perhaps you can have a larger bolt tapped and installed, instead of replacing the pan. Also, if nothing else, dealer should be paying for the labor and you perhaps the part. This is baloney and you need to dispute this.
Old 01-12-11, 03:46 PM
2002RX300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Typical stealership! You're getting robbed by going to the stealerships for anything. Like said above the oil pan bolt only needs to be tight, wasn't leaking before they touched it leaking now equals 100% their fault and liability.

But instead of letting those crooks touch your car again, take it to a local small mechanic and have them replace the stripped out oil pan bolt with a quick valve oil change system. These are really inexpensive and easy to install. If you have a local harborfreight tools near you even better, no more stripped out oil pans:

http://www.harborfreight.com/quick-v...tem-94879.html
Old 01-12-11, 04:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

He stripped it - he can re-tap the threads and buy a larger plug! $25 tops (out of his pocket).
Old 01-12-11, 04:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I DON'T recommend getting a quick valve that's going too far.

Your dealership is lying to you. They should replace it free of charge, which they likely won't do... Take it to an independent mechanic and see what they say, it's probably just the bolt that's stripped but it's possible the dealership messed it up even more on purpose and ruined the pan as well.

Is there oil leaking from the car right now?
Old 01-12-11, 06:58 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why go to a local shop.. that's letting the dealership off the hook. You go back, demand that they fix it however they wish, as their cost... or you report this to corporate. That will make them comply very fast.
Old 01-12-11, 07:45 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
That is bull... he stripped it, he's responsible. Doesn't matter how many times it's been changed. Mechanics have a tendancy to want to put as much torque into that plug as possible. It only needs to be tight, not gorilla tightened on.

Even if the "previous" mechanics had overtightened it, he was final one that messed it up so it's his fault. So what, if there is a chip on the window that isn't spreading, but somehow he drops a ratchet lets say on the windshield and cracks it, he's not responsible because the windshield was old and it had a chip already?

Also, where is the $500 coming from? He's replacing the engine? The pan alone is maybe $200 tops.

Perhaps you can have a larger bolt tapped and installed, instead of replacing the pan. Also, if nothing else, dealer should be paying for the labor and you perhaps the part. This is baloney and you need to dispute this.
Usually it is the previous mechanic ... no that does not mean I can say it with 100% certainty but this mechanic could have kept quite too. If the OP has been going exclusively to one shop (then it does not matter who did it and the shop should fix the problem). The dealer may chose to keep you happy and absorb the cost or an honest mechanic fesses up. Good luck with that.

Most likely the threads on the pan are messed up. The bolt is relatively harder material.

Here are couple of options:

With the pan on:
A grease loaded tap is used to cut threads and trap cuttings. Pretty straight forwards. I would still dump a qt of oil and let it drain out to flow out the left over cuttings. An oversized crush washer would be needed on every oil change.

Better is to remove the pan:
Cut the threads and rinse the pan and install. Labor and parts (pan gasket) makes it costlier.

Replace pan: most expensive but you are as good as new.

If retap, make sure they use the bolt of the same length.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-13-11 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-12-11, 08:28 PM
IIKings920
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of us who do our own service, the Fumoto drain valve makes oil changes a real breeze. For those who have service at a shop, it prevents "Corky" from stripping the threads (happened on my 300E before I did my own service). I have used the Fumoto valve on all of my cars for the last 5 years and it is superb.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

With the MB- several different places did oil changes and I had no idea who did the damage. Corky does not use a torque wrench on the pan bolt nor does he on lug nuts. Warped brakes and premature wear, broken wheels, and worn out wheel bearings result in lug nuts that are supposed to be torqued to 90 that have been slammed to 250. You'll never be able to change a flat either- I bent a lug wrench jumping on it with a torque extender. Local TV did a story at the mall and randomly asked 10 people to loosen their lug nuts and none could do it. Whenever I get service that requires wheel removal, I tell them to torque it to spec and I check with my torque wrench. Wal-Mart is the only company I have come across to specify and put on your paper work the wheel torque they used (without me having to tell them). Most service guys act as If I am speaking Greek when I mention lug nut torque.

Last edited by IIKings920; 01-12-11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-13-11, 12:43 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The fact the price is $500 proves your getting robbed call your local consumer affairs or your local equivalent of the Motor trades association worst case wander into the show room and burn some sales well i don't actually recommend that but would be a laugh. I would think they should tap it out and put a larger plug in free at the very least.
If they scratch a panel that has rust or a ding in it should they not worry about it?