RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Show off your after market wheels gallery.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 02:50 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Show off your after market wheels gallery.

These are a few RX's i have found with After market wheels on the internet
if you want your pic removed please request so here.
Please post pics of your car with after market wheels.

Old 11-24-10, 09:16 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing quite so grand as your examples but I like them...

Old 11-24-10, 10:40 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW .. good collection of pictures, I like the 2nd from top as it is similar to mine but missing those amazing wheels
The following users liked this post:
Wiyo (06-19-21)
Old 11-24-10, 02:42 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Third picture down is a Honda CRV not a Lexus RX...
Old 11-25-10, 12:42 AM
Australian
Advanced

While i am creating the thread i would like to get some details clear about what we might need in order to get the right wheels and what to look for..

Ok from what i understand the stock wheels are 6.5 inches wide 16 inches diameter and an offset of +35 with a stud pattern of 5x114.3 with 225/70/R16 tires.

For those that do not know what offset means and i can tell from the other threads it is basically how far under the car the wheels sit. The problem with larger offsets is not only that they hang out further they will also go further under as they are measured from the center of the wheel to the hub. Because of choosing wider wheels as stock is only 6.5 inches wide. The +35 stock offset means they will likely rub against the rear struts the wider you go. The rears are closer together to the tires than the front struts are to the tires. Ideally we need to be looking for RWD wheels I believe that spacers may be required for a lot of the wheels pictured to correct the offset to keep tires off struts rather than to over hang the body. The other part required is hub rings on many of the wheels in order for them to be fitted correctly The hub ring size is 60mm. Last option is guard flares in order to go wide. Staggered wheels can be fitted but in reality it could even be in reverse as there appears more room on the front.

My question to those with larger wheels is.. What sizes are you actually running and what can really be fitted? I am sure 8.5 inch all round will likely fit on 19,20,22's most i assume are using 7.5's but i like big lips. What offsets are on your after market wheels?

What are we looking for? Eg: 8.5 rear 7.5 front? anyone got 9.5's on the rear? I would hate to put 7.5s on all round and see room for wider.
Old 11-25-10, 02:54 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had these on the RX for about a month and removed them. i personally didnt like them because i get worried about going over curbs and mud with them on.

here are them off and clean

Last edited by zombie; 11-25-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-01-10, 10:58 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Australian
While i am creating the thread i would like to get some details clear about what we might need in order to get the right wheels and what to look for..

Ok from what i understand the stock wheels are 6.5 inches wide 16 inches diameter and an offset of +35 with a stud pattern of 5x114.3 with 225/70/R16 tires.

For those that do not know what offset means and i can tell from the other threads it is basically how far under the car the wheels sit. The problem with larger offsets is not only that they hang out further they will also go further under as they are measured from the center of the wheel to the hub. Because of choosing wider wheels as stock is only 6.5 inches wide. The +35 stock offset means they will likely rub against the rear struts the wider you go. The rears are closer together to the tires than the front struts are to the tires. Ideally we need to be looking for RWD wheels I believe that spacers may be required for a lot of the wheels pictured to correct the offset to keep tires off struts rather than to over hang the body. The other part required is hub rings on many of the wheels in order for them to be fitted correctly The hub ring size is 60mm. Last option is guard flares in order to go wide. Staggered wheels can be fitted but in reality it could even be in reverse as there appears more room on the front.

My question to those with larger wheels is.. What sizes are you actually running and what can really be fitted? I am sure 8.5 inch all round will likely fit on 19,20,22's most i assume are using 7.5's but i like big lips. What offsets are on your after market wheels?

What are we looking for? Eg: 8.5 rear 7.5 front? anyone got 9.5's on the rear? I would hate to put 7.5s on all round and see room for wider.
Get a lower offset wheel, it would push that "6.5" further out, thus creating room for more width from the suspension end

You should be able to run a 9" no problems. The RX300 [don't have experience with this one per say] would have no problems with that.
The RX330 is virtually the same in terms of clearance based upon what i saw on the hoist [both an RX300 & RX330 & a Toyota Highander].

The OEM sizing of the second gen is an 18x7.5 with an ET 35, so you will clear no problem as i have seen them on the first gens. Go lower offset like an ET20 [gain 15mm of clearance] than you gain more room and can get a wider wheel - don't get too greedy if you go super wide it would stick way past the fender and look dumb.

Here's a 20"

As you said, it's all about offsets. Not sure how big of a diameter you want to go but the bigger the wheel the wider they tend to be, at which point you'd have to mess around with a staggered setup or very specific offsets!

Another place to check out [but no one lists their setups/specs] is http://minkara.carview.co.jp/ just gotta translate the site...

GL!
Old 12-01-10, 04:40 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I dont have rims like that... but i will say i just got a set of tires that were exact match 225-70-16 for the tires... but the rims with bolt pattern 5x114.3 were off a 2005 highlander.... not sure the off set.. but i had them put on..and the next morning after driving to the tim hortons.. i could smell some rubber... went to the shop..and they were just slightly rubbing on the rear struts... BUT NOT THE FRONT!!.. and was rubbing more on the drivers side... less on the pass side.... they put on a set of 1/4" spacers which he said were the biggest they could go.. and no more rubbing on the back now... the clearance isnt very much on the strut.. but its not burning and he said it was enough room..... Ill be looking into aftermarket rims for spring... more then likely buy in the winter... 19" for sure.. but 20"... so ill be watching this thread closely.. then craigslist and kijiji much closer...

Cheers
Old 12-01-10, 11:06 PM
Australian
Advanced

Well i have another car on 19's with 9.5" rear with 275's and 8.5 front on 245's with the right stud pattern 114.3 i am umm and arring whether to try fit these or buy a new set for my other car. I am assuming the offset would be about +20. So i could test fit if i make the effort.
Old 12-07-10, 02:48 AM
Australian
Advanced

I am loving those blacked out tail lights hmmm wondering about some vinyl window static blockout.
Old 01-20-11, 10:02 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome set ups!!!

I'm curiuos though, with the focus on keeping it "wifey" or "mom"-ish (in other words, conservative) anyone sporting 16" aftermarkets? I have found it next to impossible to locate 16" with a low offset nearly matching the stock +35 offset found on OEM wheels.

So far it seems everyone is going with the RX330 OEM 18". Nice and all, but just want to hear of other options available. Again, especially since the wife or mom would prefer the cushier feel and conservative, smaller wheel look.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-21-11, 01:41 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be a way to vote.
Old 01-22-11, 11:54 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More RX330 wheels

Old 02-21-11, 02:41 AM
Australian
Advanced

check out this one
http://www.modifiedcars.com/cars/290...ictures/121628
Old 02-23-11, 06:48 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Show off your after market wheels gallery.