RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 Transmission Failed at 131,000

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 04:05 AM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Transmission Failed at 131,000

Just a data point to let the group know the transmission on our FWD went totally out. I had it replaced with a rebuild one from Lexus by the Toyota dealer for a cost of $3600 before taxes. I wrote corporate at Lexus a note to let them know, and got kind of a why are you telling us this, type response. I supposedly have a one year unlimited mileage warranty on parts and labor. The car dirves and shifts beautifully again. It had transmission drain and fills with correct ATF every 30K that we had it. The dealer commented that the ATF looked great, just smelled awful. It looked and smelled great just 1500 miles prior to failure. I am kind of the opinion now that drain and fill may not hurt, but it is probably not the answer to this early failure so many RX300s seems to be experiencing.
Old 09-17-10, 06:02 AM
ByTor
Driver

131k Early Failure ?
Old 09-17-10, 06:27 AM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ByTor
131k Early Failure ?
Not sure how I can be any more clear and help with your question, but I will try. I think a total transmission failure at 131,000 is EARLY. Clear enough?
Old 09-17-10, 07:22 AM
MVLEX
Rookie

Wow!! I was lucky to buy my rx with a new tranny fron lexus less than 2 years ago.
Old 09-17-10, 07:28 AM
TOYOLEX
Former Sponsor

Hello! We have been dealing with Toyota and Lexus parts for 22 years (mainly Lexus) and for a Tranny to fail with 131k miles is pretty bad. But was the tranny maintained properly. If you have any questions regarind this, we can help. WE have all the Lexus oem repair manual and bulletins. Our toll free number is 866-970-9705, email is sales@toyolexparts.com
Old 09-17-10, 08:33 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ White
Just a data point to let the group know the transmission on our FWD went totally out. I had it replaced with a rebuild one from Lexus by the Toyota dealer for a cost of $3600 before taxes. I wrote corporate at Lexus a note to let them know, and got kind of a why are you telling us this, type response. I supposedly have a one year unlimited mileage warranty on parts and labor. The car dirves and shifts beautifully again. It had transmission drain and fills with correct ATF every 30K that we had it. The dealer commented that the ATF looked great, just smelled awful. It looked and smelled great just 1500 miles prior to failure. I am kind of the opinion now that drain and fill may not hurt, but it is probably not the answer to this early failure so many RX300s seems to be experiencing.
It is sad that your transmission died.

Lot of folks here seem to feel that changing the t. fluid more frequently is the way to prevent transmission failure. If you have followed my posts, I do not subscribe to that thought. I have been saying .. if it makes you sleep easy, then go for it. Nothing has been proven but the prime suspects are the size_of_the_pump and make of the planetary gear system. Again these are my hunches and others have their own.

The other issue is what is the life expectancy of trouble free service. I know the standards have been changing but 100K miles has been the established standard in past. Major component failure, after the odo hits this, like transmission would not seem out of ordinary. The vehicle comes with 60K or so miles of warranty. Any one can be angry/disappointed but at 130k you are twice over the limit. I hope Lexus is sympathetic to your loss and hears you out and does something to ease the sting.

Toyota/Lexus has been in this business for long. Sedans and L'cruisers have been in production for years. RX was a new class. Sad but true that the transmission was not up to par. Jury is still out on how extensive the transmission failure are in the RX line. The number does not matter to folks who have experienced the failure.

Good luck in you effort to get Lexus to compensate you.

Salim
Old 09-17-10, 09:51 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

131k Early Failure ?

Not sure how I can be any more clear and help with your question, but I will try. I think a total transmission failure at 131,000 is EARLY. Clear enough?
I agree, 131K is EARLY specially on a well maintained tranny (30K DnFs).
Old 09-17-10, 10:16 AM
ByTor
Driver

Lighten up Francis.
Old 09-17-10, 10:38 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Dont feel bad...I have a second gen RX.. just had my tranny replaced under warranty at 98k.....
Old 09-17-10, 10:40 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Enz
131k Early Failure ?

I agree, 131K is EARLY specially on a well maintained tranny (30K DnFs).

What milage/time do you think it will be ok to have a T. failure.

Never,
150K ==> 10 yrs based on 15K miles/yr

Salim
Old 09-17-10, 01:17 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If my tranny failed at 131K I would be poorer but in no way upset, Toyota does not owe me anything.
Old 09-17-10, 02:44 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Just a data point to let the group know the transmission on our FWD went totally out. I had it replaced with a rebuild one from Lexus by the Toyota dealer for a cost of $3600 before taxes. I wrote corporate at Lexus a note to let them know, and got kind of a why are you telling us this, type response.
So did Toyota/Lexus pay anything toward the replacement? ($3600 sounds cheap for a dealership retail price replacement).
Old 09-18-10, 03:04 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Igraam -- replaced under warranty or out of goodwill by Lexus? I can't remember how many miles the factory powertrain warranty lasts, but I was thinking 60K. I'm glad you didn't have to pay!
Old 09-19-10, 05:52 AM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
So did Toyota/Lexus pay anything toward the replacement? ($3600 sounds cheap for a dealership retail price replacement).
No, as I said, Lexus did not even seemed interested in hearing about the failure. I had no reason to expect any financial help as it was well out of warranty. I just thought they might be interested in the information, but apparantly not. I have no complaints regarding the price and warranty from Toyota. This post is just mainly to let the community know what happened to my particular car and when. thanks, Russ
Old 09-19-10, 12:40 PM
splacek007
Driver School Candidate

Russ:
I see you live in Tennesee...metro. area?

I have a suspicion (read: unverified guess) that the 1st-2nd transfer is the problem in the RX. That is usu. engaged more in bumper-bumper traffic sitting on the interstate or similar. What kind of driving did you do? If there was a po, then, of course, that would matter.

Quick Reply: 2001 Transmission Failed at 131,000