RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

husky or weathertech liners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 09:42 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default husky or weathertech liners?

Does anyone have pics of how the husky and/or weathertech liners look like in their rx300? How it fits will determine what I buy.

I found some pics of the husky for the rx330 here and per the post the advantage of the husky over the weathertech is that the foot rest is covered (hence no dirt will get in between the footrest and liner). The weathertechs are clearly illustrated on their website (footrest is not covered) while husky show a generic one but per sales they say that the footrest is also covered for the rx300 model.

As for the looks, I think the husky is more rugged/sporty (perfect for a 4runner or Tundra) and the weathertechs looks classier or more expensive. So for a Lexus I think the weathertechs looks better.

As for the price, the 3 pc set is about $50-60 more for the weathertechs.

Warranty: husky lifetime, WT 10 yrs, I only have 36K miles so its definitely going to last over 10 yrs

I'm leaning towards the weathertechs for the looks but the practical side of me says husky has a better design and less expensive though in the long run the price really does not matter.

How is your Husky or WT holding up? How's the fit?

Do you have to remove your factory carpet mats to get a good fit?

Last edited by Enz; 09-09-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 08:56 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's my take: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oorliners.html

Maybe I just had a bad experience or maybe they improved them by now since this was back in 2005. I also have an MDX and the MDX guys think they are the cat's a$$.
Old 09-09-10, 09:25 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Carguy,
saw that one while searching for pics the other day. I noticed your post was in december in OH, did you try a hair dryer or heat gun to softfen it up so it molds itself to the shape of the car? But if the box says 05 and up highlander that might explain why it didn't fit right. I'll make sure I ask about it IF I go with WT liners.
Thanks!
Old 09-09-10, 09:28 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Carguy,
What did you end up with? Also with the WT liners, did u have to remove the factory carpet mats? Did the driver side hook fit through both the liner and carpet mat?
Thx!
Old 09-09-10, 10:25 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Yep, I kept them in the house and sat them in front of a register to heat them up, then hit them with a hair dryer to try to get them to soften up. Did not help at all.

Yes, the hook fit in the hole on the liner but you have to remove the carpeted mats to make them work.

They definitely looked like the correct application, all the cutouts and stuff were in the right places. They just were so stiff that they did not conform to the floor and rocked all over the place. After two sets I gave up and got a set of Weathertech all-season mats. They are nice but honestly don't offer enough coverage. They are cut quite a bit shorter than the stock mats. I just use the carpet mats under the rubber mats to make up the difference.

I really want to like the company since they have a great reputation and are supposed to be such good products, but honestly both the floor liners and rubber mats were a bust for me.
Old 09-09-10, 12:20 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info Carguy! I think I'm going to try husky unless someone comes up and says "they must have changed their design on WT liners later on because mine fits like a glove"

yeah, those all-season mats look great but with the really light colored carpeting, I'd hate having to clean the exposed areas all the time.
Old 09-09-10, 12:52 PM
weinkaufjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RX is my ski mobile, lots of snow and mud during the season. The Huskys for the driver, passenger and cargo fit well and they have kept a lot of snow and mud out of the carpets. Gray on gray. No pics. Held up well for 7 years so far.
Old 09-15-10, 09:18 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

I decided to go with Weathertech liners, the Husky liners just look too rugged with the diamond plate pattern. Hope I'm making the right decision.
Old 09-30-10, 08:44 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Enz
I decided to go with Weathertech liners, the Husky liners just look too rugged with the diamond plate pattern. Hope I'm making the right decision.
Any updates on the fit?
Old 10-02-10, 01:06 PM
ivan1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry i'm posting so late with your decision already made, but i have weathertech in my car, and i LOVE them. the fit is perfect and it looks OEM with the beige interior. i honestly couldn't ask for a better product, the owner had them in the car since day one and i powerwash them when i wash the car, they look brand new every time. ENJOY!
Old 10-19-10, 03:36 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Sorry for the delayed response Carguy but I haven't logged on for quite a while.

WT probably had to make the rear liner since it took forever to ship. I just got them this week.

Overall I give it 2 1/2 to 3 stars out of 5.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM! Hmm... maybe they sent me the wrong ones but I will check when I get home.

edit: I do have the correct liners

Here's my initial impression:
A. front and rear colors do not match. Frt looks like more chocolate than tan. rear is lighter.
B. frt driver liner has 2 holes for hooks. though they ship extra hooks they do not supply a "plug" for the second hole. You have to call them and they will send you one.
C. Fitment
1. there's like at least a 1" gap between the dead pedal and the lip of the liner = crap falling in between liner and dead pedal from left foot = crap will go under the liner and soil your carpet
2. lips of liners are higher than the door sills = tripping hazard = ugly
3. lips of liners do not hug/flush to the wall/sides = crap will get between liner and go under the liner
4. rear liner ends are rectangular but if you look at a husky liner (kevintown posted pics for a rx330) the ends have like a tear drop shape to actually cover that part. Will post pics to explain this later.
5. rear liner is a tad short lengthwise= crap will get under the liner
6. liner in general do not hug the side/wall but it may get better in time as the material relaxes

edit: 6.5 liners catch on the seat rails when you move the seats back and forth

I know I'm expecting these things to eliminate crap getting underneath the liner which is probably not going to happen with any product but if the fitment was better then it will be greatly reduced.

7. Customer Service = CRAP! I asked a simple question on whether these were built/molded based on a RX or a Highlander. 1st time I called the lady insisted that they based it on both the RX and Highlander. How can you do that? I guess if you're willing to make a somewhat generic product that will give a mediocre fit on both then that's what we have. Does the highlander have 2 carpet hooks? these liners meant for the RX have 2 while the RX only has one.

The second lady said that she really couldn't help me because I did not buy it directly from them! What? She didn't even ask where I got them from to find out if they are authorized vendors. All I wanted to do was talk to someone in Engineering or who actually knows the product and if this was molded on a RX.

As for Husky I got transfered to the Engineering Manager and he actually sent me an email with pictures right away. He says though the frt liners will fit Highlanders too, the their frt liners are definitely based on the RX since the RX was around late 98 but the highlander late 00. The rear fit only the RX so its def meant for the RX.

I just ordered Husky liners and should get them by the end of the week or early nxt week.

Last edited by Enz; 10-20-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-19-10, 03:40 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ivan1
sorry i'm posting so late with your decision already made, but i have weathertech in my car, and i LOVE them. the fit is perfect and it looks OEM with the beige interior. i honestly couldn't ask for a better product, the owner had them in the car since day one and i powerwash them when i wash the car, they look brand new every time. ENJOY!
Ivan - do you have liners or mats?
Old 10-19-10, 06:31 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

I have the correct ones, part numbers match.

Another thing about fitment, the seat upper rails catch on the liners when you move them froward and back.
Old 10-19-10, 08:02 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

That sounds an awful lot like the sets that I tried. Obviously not an isolated incident and they have done nothing to fix them after I spent a ton of time with their customer service letting them know how they fit. Complete BS considering how they market them to be "digital fit" and all.

I'm assuming the Weathertechs are going back?

Let us know what you think of the Huskys.
Old 10-20-10, 09:16 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Yes! They definitely have not changed anything. The thing is that the #@!-$%!@ (fill in what ever you think of their customer service reps) on the other end seemed so arrogant and sure abt their product. She says "we've been selling a lot of these for 10 years now if there's a problem with them we would have know abt them".

The WT liners are def going back!

Huskys are to be deilivered by Friday, will post initial impressions this weekend!

Quick Reply: husky or weathertech liners?