RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 11:43 AM
shark13
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Question

So yet anther early model (99) RX300 with a transmission issue. My question is this. The transmission will work when the car is first started for about 10-15 seconds then will fail. Am I crazy to think that a really badly clogged transmission filter/screen could be the cause. The idea being that initially the transmission works because it pulls in some fluid but then as it needs more fluid the filter clogs which prevents further fluid flow and stops it from working. Or is there perhaps a much better explanation. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-10, 03:36 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

You need to drain the fluid, drop the pan, examine the filter before trying to diagnose.

Salim
Old 09-06-10, 03:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Like salimshah said, drain the fluid, drop the fan, clean the magnets...how much metal/debris is there? Then take the filter out, if it's mesh then clean it and re-install it. If it's paper then replace it.
I'd suggest not to try to move the car or even start it, if you think the transmission is starved of fluid, as that may cause further damage.
Old 09-06-10, 04:27 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Rx 1st gen trans problem only on the 4WLD I hope? I have 2W front-wheel drive. I keep the fluid pink, not a cheap piece of work at the dealer every 15k but maybe better than full trans failure.
Old 09-06-10, 04:28 PM
shark13
Pit Crew

I drained and pulled the pan. The magnets did have some fine shavings and a single sliver of metal about 1/4" long. To me it did not seem significant considering the vehicle has 165,000 on it. As far as the filter, its coated black on the receiving side but I can't see how you would get access to it. It's within what appears to be an enclosed metal housing. Is there a trick to getting this filter out or is this how the newer filters are? Is my only option to buy a new filter? I have attached a picture of the downside and topside of the filter.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Question-filter-1.jpg   Transmission Question-filter-2.jpg   Transmission Question-filter-3.jpg  
Old 09-06-10, 04:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by parula
Is the Rx 1st gen trans problem only on the 4WLD I hope? I have 2W front-wheel drive. I keep the fluid pink, not a cheap piece of work at the dealer every 15k but maybe better than full trans failure.
It looks like you have a 2003. So, you have nothing to worry about, the problem was fixed in late 00'. You can go much longer than 15k especially since you have FWD and the revised edition of the trans.
Old 09-06-10, 04:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

To be honest, your pan looks "normal". I suggest replacing the filter, while you are already in there. What fluid are you going to be filling the trans with?
Old 09-06-10, 06:42 PM
shark13
Pit Crew

The 3 pics are of the filter (top, bottom, and bottom close up). Haven't checked to see what fluid to go with. Is there a way to clean this type of filter?
Old 09-07-10, 07:40 AM
shark13
Pit Crew

Unfortunately this is a 99. Considering their track record I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
Old 09-07-10, 10:26 AM
salimshah

I ended up using gasoline to wash the filter. And i did let it dry thoroughly before reinstalling.

The 99 are not all bad. I would venture and say a small % exhibited transmission problem. If you dont see lots of grayish powder in the sediments .. your planetary gear is intact.

Salim
Old 09-07-10, 01:29 PM
shark13
Pit Crew

OK, you'll have to excuse my excitement but I may have possibly just saved myself $4000. So I cleaned the filter, just put back in the same fluid (I know I shouldn't) and tested the transmission. To my amazement it worked. Usually it would stop after 10-15 seconds but after 5 minutes it still worked. The one thing I am noticing is that it take a second or so to go into reverse. I know I lost some fluid in the process of taking off the pan etc, so perhaps the fluid level is low. Not to mention the fluid was dark and old. My plan is to do it right this time, new fluid, filter, gasket. I just wanted to ask a few other questions.

1. Other than low fluid, are there any obvious reasons for the transmissions reverse to take awhile to engage. (Considering that this transmission was not working in any manner prior to cleaning the filter).

2. What type of trany fluid do I use for a 99 RX300 and should I not get a Kragen filter and instead go with a proper Lexus filter?
Old 09-07-10, 02:25 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyper, much thks for that information, looks like i won't need the work on my '03 2FWD trans like the other discussed here!! WHEW
Old 09-07-10, 03:18 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by shark13
OK, you'll have to excuse my excitement but I may have possibly just saved myself $4000. So I cleaned the filter, just put back in the same fluid (I know I shouldn't) and tested the transmission. To my amazement it worked. Usually it would stop after 10-15 seconds but after 5 minutes it still worked. The one thing I am noticing is that it take a second or so to go into reverse. I know I lost some fluid in the process of taking off the pan etc, so perhaps the fluid level is low. Not to mention the fluid was dark and old. My plan is to do it right this time, new fluid, filter, gasket. I just wanted to ask a few other questions.

1. Other than low fluid, are there any obvious reasons for the transmissions reverse to take awhile to engage. (Considering that this transmission was not working in any manner prior to cleaning the filter).

2. What type of trany fluid do I use for a 99 RX300 and should I not get a Kragen filter and instead go with a proper Lexus filter?
For fluid stick with Toyota type IV (or better).
For Filter again stick with toyota.

My reasoning is that you dont want to add unknown variables.

To check level ... park on a flat horiz surface with engine running. Engage Parking brake. Keep your foot on the brake pedal (regular brake) and rove the gear shifter from Park to bottom position and back to park. Stay in each position for about 10 sec. Engine still running and shifter in Park check the transmission dipstick. Wipe often and make the best guess at the level.

Salim
Old 09-07-10, 04:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I recommend picking up Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF (available at Pepboys, Autozone, ie any major auto parts store) or use the Toyota Type-IV but I prefer the Castrol as it's a synthetic blend, and it performs great in my RX. Like salimshah said stick with toyota for the filter.
Old 09-07-10, 10:35 PM
shark13
Pit Crew

After reading some posts on here and some other info I decided to keep my original screen. I think once it's thoroughly cleaned it's better than a paper filter. I got enough Type IV fluid and will be getting a gasket tomorrow. Found a great thread here about dropping the pan, replacing the filter, and even how to pull fluid from the transfer case and through the cooler lines. Really good. My hope is that after all these steps and putting the proper amount of fluid back in it will not hesitate from 3rd to 4th and into reverse.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question