RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-16-14, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Oxygen Sensor (O2) Bank 1, Sensor 2 DIY

Old 01-17-14, 10:53 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
I would say watch and follow the way the old washer comes off.

IMHO the smaller flat area (left in picture) faces the sensor and the larger flat area (right in picture) faces the exhaust. If you mount it the other way, you would create a lip between the exhaust and the gasket which can collect stuff over time .. that would set in corrosion. If you do it the way I suggest then everything would be streamlined. There is enough flat surface to prevent a leak in either position.

Lastly, it is important that you torque both nuts evenly .. 1/2 turn at a time. I dont have the spec handy.

Salim
Ahh, very good advice. You're a fountain of knowledge, my good sir. Thanks!

I did find the torque specs from the diagram posted earlier, 14 ft/lbs. Good thing I have a nice torque wrench.
Old 03-02-14, 12:39 AM
Revs22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody else plays Robin Trower in a Lexus? Koooooool!

Great thread guys & gals!
Old 03-16-14, 02:54 PM
pking
Driver School Candidate

Default Can't remove sensor

I just replaced the "hard" sensor to access. I'm now replacing the "easy" access sensor right behind the radiator. For the life of me I can't get this out. I've tried a breaker bar. I've tried PB (rusty bolt loosening solvent.) I just now tried heating the manifold to bright red with a MAPP gas torch and I still can't budge this thing. I am trying to turn this counter clockwise. I am beginning to wonder if these are reverse threaded somehow? What could possibly have locked this thing in so hard?
Old 03-16-14, 03:09 PM
boxbrownie
Rookie

Your turning it the correct way, normally threaded.

They can get very corroded into the threads, heat usually does the job.
Old 03-19-14, 02:17 PM
pking
Driver School Candidate

Default update

Just thought I'd post an update. I've tried another 24 hours of PB and a breaker bar again. No go. I called the dealer I bought this from and they said heat will often do it but if not you have to replace the entire manifold. I guess I will try torching it again and this time just burn the rest of the tank on it.
Old 03-19-14, 02:21 PM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The first two times I had that sensor replaced at the dealer they had to replace the manifold too. At least that's what they told me. The third time I did it myself. I used PB Blaster and alternately loosened and tightened the sensor until it finally popped loose. Took about 24 hrs of soaking, waiting, wrenching, reapeat.
Old 03-19-14, 02:25 PM
jerseylean
8th Gear

Default bank1 sensor 2

Originally Posted by Baetke
Your diagram has erroneously labeled the sensor as Bank 1 Sensor 1. The correct designation is Bank 1 Sensor 2 for the O2 sensor.

Thanks for correcting that post for bank 1 sensor 1 to BANK 1 sensor 2.
Old 03-20-14, 04:38 AM
mikemacch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pking
I just replaced the "hard" sensor to access. I'm now replacing the "easy" access sensor right behind the radiator. For the life of me I can't get this out. I've tried a breaker bar. I've tried PB (rusty bolt loosening solvent.) I just now tried heating the manifold to bright red with a MAPP gas torch and I still can't budge this thing. I am trying to turn this counter clockwise. I am beginning to wonder if these are reverse threaded somehow? What could possibly have locked this thing in so hard?
I tapped the wrench after PB Blaster it finally loosened.
Old 03-25-14, 05:55 AM
pking
Driver School Candidate

Default Conclusion

Well I gave up and took it in to a mechanic. After looking at it, they said the manifold definitely needs to come out. After taking it out, they couldn't get the old sensor bolt out. They told me they didn't have a new manifold and would have to order one. Right before ordering one, the manager was apparently able to get it out, saving me a few hundred dollars that a new manifold would cost. So in the end, they only charged me for 4 hours of labor. (I already had a new sensor.) Pretty decent guys at the Japanese Auto Clinic on Lee Highway in Arlington, VA.

From the short drive back the car is running smoothly. I will add that although the car ran without that sensor, it started to get kind of rough. The mechanic said there were a bunch of P300/P302 check engine light (CEL) codes showing up which indicate misfirings in certain cylinders. I think that was because the ECU wasn't getting a lot of information missing a sensor. So while you can drive your car without a sensor, I wouldn't do it for very long.
Old 03-25-14, 03:24 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

How the heck can someone say that they can't get it out if the manifold is removed? It will either come out or destroy the threads and come out. Sounds like complete BS to me.
Old 04-17-14, 07:38 PM
Rudy602
Driver

Great write up and pictures. I was able to replace the downstream sensor without removing the driver's seat by moving it all the way forward to reveal the "T" shaped slit in the carpet. I made one cut in the carpet about 2" long toward the firewall and one horizontal cut to connect to where the carpet is cut for the rear heat outlet. This gave me enough room to reach in and disconnect the sensor. The carpet laid back down after the install and you can't even tell it was cut. The only hard part on mine was scraping the old gasket residue from the flange. I could tell that the gasket goes with the side with the most metal toward the exhaust. Thanks for all the good information.
Old 05-17-14, 06:54 PM
driver1988
Driver

Any link to o2 bank1 sensor1 DIY? I got under the car but this sensor seems very hard to get to. Cel p1130
Old 05-17-14, 08:38 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by driver1988
Any link to o2 bank1 sensor1 DIY? I got under the car but this sensor seems very hard to get to. Cel p1130
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html
Old 05-18-14, 08:16 AM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy602
Great write up and pictures. I was able to replace the downstream sensor without removing the driver's seat by moving it all the way forward to reveal the "T" shaped slit in the carpet. I made one cut in the carpet about 2" long toward the firewall and one horizontal cut to connect to where the carpet is cut for the rear heat outlet. This gave me enough room to reach in and disconnect the sensor. The carpet laid back down after the install and you can't even tell it was cut. The only hard part on mine was scraping the old gasket residue from the flange. I could tell that the gasket goes with the side with the most metal toward the exhaust. Thanks for all the good information.
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I did see the service manual on disconnecting this sensor. Toyota recommends removing the passenger side seat to get to the access cover on RX300's. On my ES, the cover was on the driver's side.

ETA:
Attached Thumbnails Oxygen Sensor (O2) Bank 1, Sensor 2 DIY-b1s2-location-p.1726.png  

Last edited by timmui; 05-18-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 03:22 PM
Rudy602
Driver

Originally Posted by timmui
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I did see the service manual on disconnecting this sensor. Toyota recommends removing the passenger side seat to get to the access cover on RX300's. On my ES, the cover was on the driver's side.

ETA:
I don't know what the "access cover" that they refer to is. Bank 1 sensor 2 on a RX300 is behind the cat and in front of the resonator which is under the driver's side and why the connection is under the driver's seat. Read the thread. It has good info and pics. The thread postings are accurate, I don't know about your service manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor (O2) Bank 1, Sensor 2 DIY