RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear End Clunking Golf Ball Syndrome Help! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 07:56 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Clunking Golf Ball Syndrome Help! Please!

Hello can someone help me out cause i cant seem to locate this clunking sound from the right rear end.. I have checked the exhaust hangers, I have checked the bar bushings and i removed the wheels to check for anything
loose but i cant figure.... It usually occurs when i drive over bumps or potholes and also when i make right turns.. It sounds more or less like a clunk, clunk,, and i am just hoping that it doesnt create any damage..
I have taken it to a few mechanics but they cant find it either... Any help will be appreciated... Thanks for listening..
Old 08-13-10, 08:22 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by elacesar
Hello can someone help me out cause i cant seem to locate this clunking sound from the right rear end.. I have checked the exhaust hangers, I have checked the bar bushings and i removed the wheels to check for anything
loose but i cant figure.... It usually occurs when i drive over bumps or potholes and also when i make right turns.. It sounds more or less like a clunk, clunk,, and i am just hoping that it doesnt create any damage..
I have taken it to a few mechanics but they cant find it either... Any help will be appreciated... Thanks for listening..
I would guess a worn strut mount. If it is it will not hurt anything.
Old 08-13-10, 08:27 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear end noise

Do a search using this wording, "Lexus Rx300 Rear End Clunking Noise", and it will take you to Lexmex's photo of some bolts to check as a possible cause.
Old 08-13-10, 08:36 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear End Clunking Golf Ball Syndrome Help! Please!

Thanks but i changed the strut mounts and i checked the Lexmex photo and tightened every bolt back there and there is no change.. Thanks again
Old 08-13-10, 04:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree with carguy07, it sounds like a strut mount.
Old 08-13-10, 05:05 PM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks but the strut mounts were just replaced a few weeks ago with OEM mounts.. I think it might be the sway link bar...
Old 08-13-10, 05:25 PM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the rear sway bar bushings for play. Grab the bar by the bushing and shake it. You will probably see a lot of play.- I took mine apart and added some large rubber hose around it as a "filler"
Old 08-14-10, 07:51 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Barryst and i am almost sure that its the problem cause i noticed some play near the bushing..Can you tell me how you took it apart to add the hose piece? Thanks again
Old 08-14-10, 12:06 PM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a rear tire off.
-There is a 10 mm bolt (I think its that size) on that 1/2 clamp that supports the sway bar at the bushing. Take that out. I did one side at a time. and the existing bushing is split, so it comes right off the bar. There is no tension on the bar, so don't worry when you take the bolt out. You might want to soak those bolts first, I broke the one by the exhaust.(passenger side) After taking the 1/2 bushing apart, I used some 3/4" heater hose cut the same lenght as the bushing, and cut the heater hose down one side to make an opening to wrap it around the sway bar, then add your old bushing on top of it. It will take up the space, for a while anyway... You can always buy new bushings!!!
Mine has been "fixed" like this for a couple of years now, and still no noises

-I hope this helps!
Old 08-14-10, 02:35 PM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Barryst for the help but i thought you were referring to the sway bar links that i felt had some play.. I replaced the two sway bar links but there is no change so i guess that wasnt the problem.. I didnt feel and play in the actual sway bar so i didnt bother checking those bushings.. I will check those tonight.. I think I checked everything down there so i guess if its not the bushings could it possibly be the CV joints?
Old 08-16-10, 08:05 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks but the bushings were good so I believe that the problem is the shocks that are the originals with 138,000 miles... Thanks again
Old 07-01-11, 10:05 AM
TripleD
Driver School Candidate

I am having same problem, noise almost seems to be worse at slow speeds. Also if I hit like a crack in the road perfectly to where both rear tires hit at the same time it is a much sharper sounding clunk. If one tire just hits a pothole or something it just makes a deep sounding clunk. It doesn't always do it either. Only like when it hits a bump just right. Its annoying the hell out of me. I checked all the exhaust hangers. Doesn't seem like it would be the shocks because if they were bad it seems like it would always make the sound and the wheels would more or less bounce on the springs after hitting bumps. Somebody help!
Old 07-01-11, 01:20 PM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear End Clunking Golf Ball Syndrome

Hello i changed the shocks and strut mounts which were bad.. No more clunking!!!
Old 07-05-11, 05:41 AM
TripleD
Driver School Candidate

I have 126K miles on my 2001, so I guess maybe this is the problem. I have checked everything, it looks good, still rides good but I guess maybe the shocks are starting to go.
Old 07-05-11, 07:38 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Yes thats when mine started to clunk... Its an expensive job but is better now Good luck

Quick Reply: Rear End Clunking Golf Ball Syndrome Help! Please!