RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

rx300 2001 completely dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 07:08 AM
macarong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx300 2001 completely dead

Hi,

I bought this car, a Silver Sport Edition, more than a year ago from an user.
My car ran fine since then until Friday night.
I left the car on Sat and Sun.
Today is Monday, I press the remote key, no sound.

The car is unlock ( I believe I locked it on Friday).
I insert the key in, there is no light on the console.

It is completely dead, no any sight of power.

I hook the battery from a 2007 Camry to jump it but hopeless ( maybe it is not enough AMP).
During that, all lights and sound come up as normal, I also find the door light ( at the center) is up. I couldn't start the engine.

Just call Lexus dealer and ask a tow truck, it costs about $120.

I would like to do it myself after work if possible to save money and learn some new thing as always.

I need help on determine what wrong with that and how to fix it.

Can one the door light up for 2 days completely empty the battery?
Even after I connect to charge the battery from my Camry for 10 minutes, the Lexus again has no sight of battery after disconnect. Is battery dead?

I saw the Lexus battery looks like it comes with the car from day one. How do I check to know that?

Fuse blew?

What battery brand should you recommend?

Thanks,
McR
Old 08-09-10, 07:14 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

yES THE door light can drain the battery, Battery could have been weak in first place.
As for not being able to jumper it, it is possible that the battery that is in the car is shorted....Unhook the positive lead, and hook the jumper to that lead safetly, and the ground as usual...than try to start it. Highly recommend Costco or Sams club batteries, they have served me well for a long time. Also pay attention to the battery posts on the battery, are they corroaded, if so clean them with some emery paper before starting...
Old 08-09-10, 07:53 AM
macarong

Thank thomas1,

I connect with the jump cable from my Camry to Lexus for about 10 minutes, why does there is no sight of battery after disconnect?
Any fuse blew can leave the car off power ?

I will buy a battery at costco after work and replace it anyway.

Thank again,
mcr
Old 08-09-10, 12:19 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by macarong
I saw the Lexus battery looks like it comes with the car from day one. How do I check to know that?

What battery brand should you recommend?
The original battery on the RX300 was made in Japan (Panasonic I think?). These were not available after-market as far as I know. I too recommend the Costco battery. I had to use a couple of washers as spacers on the tie-down to get things to fit correctly, but others have said they didn't have to do this. I don't think you can beat the Costco battery for cost and value.

I prefer washing corroded battery clamps with a baking soda and water solution instead of emery paper.
Old 08-10-10, 07:06 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes, I agree baking soda a water, but I clean the real bad corrosion off with a wire brush.
Old 08-10-10, 09:36 AM
macarong

Thomas1, you are genius.
What happened exactly as you said
Originally Posted by thomas1
yES THE door light can drain the battery, Battery could have been weak in first place.
Yes, the batt ran out.
Advance Auto has to charge and check it, the result is VOL 13.25V - mesasured: 452 CCA, RATED: 575 CCA, TEMP: 79oF, and RETURN CODE: 88FDF.
Not sure all means, but the guy said the ratio of the bat is 452/575% left, can start the engine; so brough home last night and it works beautiful.

Yes, the batt was weak. I use wire and baking soda water ( the water turned green, I did not clean it with normal water, not sure if it is correct or not). I put together, the ring and the terminal loose especially in the negative post --- That is why it did not charge well. At that time was 10pm, Auto Advance closed; I had to use soldering lead put some in vertical as shims. I also put some silion (used for plumbing) to have a better contact and prevent from corroaded ( not sure it is the right way).

As for not being able to jumper it, it is possible that the battery that is in the car is shorted....Unhook the positive lead, and hook the jumper to that lead safetly, and the ground as usual...than try to start it. Highly recommend Costco or Sams club batteries, they have served me well for a long time. Also pay attention to the battery posts on the battery, are they corroaded, if so clean them with some emery paper before starting...
I came to Costco at the first place but luckily, they do not have Kirk Land batt 24F. I went to Advance Auto for Optima it is very expensive ( 275 and 185 per unit- not remember correctly); finally I went to Lexus dealer, the batt cost is 107 warranty is 84 months. This is my choice but not for now.

Thanks all esp Thomas1.

Now my issue is the door light, why it is on all the time after all door shut ( once in a while off but I have to touch on it).

Mcr
Old 08-10-10, 09:50 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cabin light on

There is the possibility one of the door switches is worn out or broken internally and not making electrical contact to turn of the cabin light.

One way to check would be to open a door and push the door switch plunger in to simulate closing the door. If the light stays on your switch is most likely bad. Start with the drivers door as that one gets the most use.

Bear