RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY- (MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 11:15 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you have multiple codes, then reset them and wait for the new codes before you do anything.

Although replacing the sensor usually fixes the problem, but in reality the problem cab be in wires and a few things upstream of the sensor location.

MAF cleanup is simple and you can do it anytime.

Salim
Old 08-23-11, 12:45 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you have multiple codes, then reset them and wait for the new codes before you do anything.

Although replacing the sensor usually fixes the problem, but in reality the problem cab be in wires and a few things upstream of the sensor location.

MAF cleanup is simple and you can do it anytime.

Salim
I just reset them during my lunch and the same codes came back. Any advice on getting the 2 screws on the MAF sensor out? The part that fits the screwdriver is starting to get worn out badly. They must be like glued in or something.
Old 08-23-11, 04:36 PM
Mut
Rookie

Well, I just cleaned the hell out of that diode (it was black as hell), disconnected the battery for a few minutes, and reconnected it. I started my engine and saw that the CEL was gone, but I'm guessing this is because of the battery disconnect - not because it fixed my 4 codes, right?

Edit: lol nope. CEL is back.

Last edited by Mut; 08-23-11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 01:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What are the codes you got this time around?

I use some some screws that you can take an allen wrench, too after the other ones went bye bye.
Old 08-25-11, 07:46 PM
Mut
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
What are the codes you got this time around?

I use some some screws that you can take an allen wrench, too after the other ones went bye bye.
I actually was able to resolve P0171 with this DIY!!! I sprayed WD-40 all over the tight screw and it finally loosened up after about 15-20 minutes of muscling it. The only codes that are left are P0125, P1133, and P1135 (pending).

Lexmex, a while back you recommended a OBDII scanner from Amazon, so I got that today and it works like a charm!

Slightly off-topic: I'm guessing P1133 and P1135 will be resolved when I replace Bank 1 sensor 1, correct? How do I fix P0125?
Old 08-25-11, 09:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
I actually was able to resolve P0171 with this DIY!!! I sprayed WD-40 all over the tight screw and it finally loosened up after about 15-20 minutes of muscling it. The only codes that are left are P0125, P1133, and P1135 (pending).

Lexmex, a while back you recommended a OBDII scanner from Amazon, so I got that today and it works like a charm!

Slightly off-topic: I'm guessing P1133 and P1135 will be resolved when I replace Bank 1 sensor 1, correct? How do I fix P0125?
The P0125 should also get fixed when you do the P1133/1135, it's one of those codes that comes one with the A/F sensor errors. P0171 is a similar one that likes to show up, too.
Old 05-25-13, 04:08 PM
lovemy99rx
Driver School Candidate

Default MAF - my first DIY

Thanks, Hypervish! Your instructions and photos were perfect in helping me through my first DIY. I have quite a few things to do on my 99rx, and this looked to be the easiest, so I started here

It would have taken me a lot longer if not for your great write-up. The whole thing was done in under half an hour, and I know it only took me that long because I was double and triple checking everything (completely panaroid! ). It wasn't hard to do, and I can't wait to see how my car runs now!!

I want to do the IACV next, and hopefully will have the time soon. My son (17) just bought his first car, a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo and it needs a lot of help. At least I can clean his MAF now. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of info out there for those cars - you have to pay to get the service manuals... but at least I am learning through all the great posts on CL and can carry some of that over.

Looks like a lot of car work for me this summer, but I feel so accomplished after even this little project, that I can't wait to get my hands into more!

Thanks to everyone that posted and for all of the help!
Old 05-25-13, 05:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lovemy99rx
Thanks, Hypervish! Your instructions and photos were perfect in helping me through my first DIY. I have quite a few things to do on my 99rx, and this looked to be the easiest, so I started here

It would have taken me a lot longer if not for your great write-up. The whole thing was done in under half an hour, and I know it only took me that long because I was double and triple checking everything (completely panaroid! ). It wasn't hard to do, and I can't wait to see how my car runs now!!

I want to do the IACV next, and hopefully will have the time soon. My son (17) just bought his first car, a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo and it needs a lot of help. At least I can clean his MAF now. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of info out there for those cars - you have to pay to get the service manuals... but at least I am learning through all the great posts on CL and can carry some of that over.

Looks like a lot of car work for me this summer, but I feel so accomplished after even this little project, that I can't wait to get my hands into more!

Thanks to everyone that posted and for all of the help!
You're welcome!

Cleaning the IACV isn't very difficult, I think you will find it quite simple. The hardest part will be getting the two screws off of the IACV itself. The rest is a piece of a cake! Follow the DIY for that step by step and you will be fine!
Old 07-23-13, 10:39 PM
CHINCHIN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixed the P0171 today by cleaning the MAF with the CRC cleaner. Best 7 bucks I ever spent, even though the MAF for the RX is pretty cheap, it was worth a shot to try cleaning it. My car was bogging down sometimes when you accelerated, similar to right before a car runs out of gas, check engine light would come back on within minutes of clearing it. Cleaned it today and passed inspection
Old 10-05-13, 08:31 PM
jmsd123
Driver School Candidate

Default Quick Solution

Signed up to:
1. Say thanks to all of your posts. I have made at least 5 repairs based on user input here and probably saved over $1k easy.

2. I wanted to add a quick fix for the Mass Air Sensor CEL code. Code was same as others here "too lean". Pulled the sensor, but did not feel like heading to the store to get MAS or elect cleaner. So I used what I had: Rubbing Alcohol, a brand new small paint brush (think water color brush), and canned air. I blew out the sensor, then dipped the brush in alcohol and GENTLY twisted the bristles against the metal wires for 3-4 minutes. I used the same technique to clean the red diode on the outside. Let dry a few minutes, and blew out again. Let dry for 30 minutes outside. Re-installed. Light is off for the first tiem in over a year. Drove 100+ miles today with multiple stops and conditions; light is still off.

2000 Lexus ES300, 112k miles
Old 04-27-14, 08:55 PM
KonKet
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to thank OP for the instruction.
I've just cleaned mine with CRC MAF Cleaner. Everything went so smooth thanks to the detailed instruction with pictures. The car doesn't have any code. The sensor didn't appear to be dirty at all; I change the air filter every 12K miles.
Old 07-08-14, 08:30 PM
forHeisris
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thank you Hypervish. Your tutorial was very easy to follow.
Old 07-09-14, 06:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by KonKet
I'd like to thank OP for the instruction.
I've just cleaned mine with CRC MAF Cleaner. Everything went so smooth thanks to the detailed instruction with pictures. The car doesn't have any code. The sensor didn't appear to be dirty at all; I change the air filter every 12K miles.
Originally Posted by forHeisris
Thank you Hypervish. Your tutorial was very easy to follow.
You're welcome!
Old 01-18-15, 01:47 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

hypervish, thanks for the DIY on MAF. I did it yesterday and it was pretty straightforward thanks to your help. Now, just have to figure out what to do with the rest of maf cleaner. How often should the maf be cleaned?

Again, thanks,
Old 01-18-15, 01:52 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DewHawk
hypervish, thanks for the DIY on MAF. I did it yesterday and it was pretty straightforward thanks to your help. Now, just have to figure out what to do with the rest of maf cleaner. How often should the maf be cleaned?

Again, thanks,
You're welcome.

Depending on your driving conditions, it should be cleaned every 2 years, IMO. There isn't really an interval for cleaning it, many don't clean it ever.

Quick Reply: DIY- (MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaning