RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY: Repair broken reluctor ring (tone ring)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 12:48 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxSteel
This is a great write up. Thanks much for all the details and photos.

I have had a new ring sitting on my desk for months waiting for me to get around to it.

It did not occur to me to disconnect the shaft at the differential. I was going to disconnect the hub and slide it off the shaft. I am really worried about breaking those old bolts though.

I'm pretty bummed about the outcome. Maybe a new ring will hold up better.
You'll be fine. Spray the bolts w/PB blaster and clean up the threads a little with a toothbrush size wire brush. Actually there isn't much bolt sticking out beyond the nut. The nuts should break free and unscrew before you could break the bolt. Remember: lefty-loosey.

If you can, take photos putting the new ring on. I'd help if I find myself in Jersey.
Old 07-23-10, 02:11 AM
jk00.rx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 RX300 with missing reluctor, left rear. Apparently it fractured and fell off in pieces. The 1999-2000 rear axle is different than the 2001-2004. Does anyone know how it differs? Also, is the reluctor itself is the same or different? I've emailed this question twice to ReluctorRings.com in the UK but with no answer. Anybody know of another source?

This is a great writeup, and very timely for me!!! I want to fix this before winter.
Old 07-23-10, 08:57 AM
81corolla
Driver

Originally Posted by jk00.rx300
I have a 2000 RX300 with missing reluctor, left rear. Apparently it fractured and fell off in pieces. The 1999-2000 rear axle is different than the 2001-2004. Does anyone know how it differs? Also, is the reluctor itself is the same or different? I've emailed this question twice to ReluctorRings.com in the UK but with no answer. Anybody know of another source?

This is a great writeup, and very timely for me!!! I want to fix this before winter.
Thanks for catching the axle differences. I had the different part numbers in my notes but forgot to log it. I've updated the thread.

I would check with dealer to find differences. If my memory serves me, when I was calling around, I kept getting asked for vehicle manufacturer date. I think there's a change 7/2000 but not sure what the change is. And of course, that's my manufacturer date, so I'm not really sure which side of the fence I'm on.

I'll swing by Lexus dealer next week and see if they can shed some light on the subject.
Old 07-25-10, 02:31 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

In nearly forty years of driving, I thought I had heard just about every auto part term there was. This reluctor ring was completely new to me! Thanks for a very clear sequence!
Old 08-07-10, 08:25 PM
rbslat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

81corolla - may i ask how you disabled the ABS? did you pull the fuse or relay or something else? i too have been driving around with a broken reluctor ring and dont feel like fixing it at the moment. my tranny is starting to go, so i have bigger fish to fry.
Old 08-08-10, 08:25 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I pulled the relay. It's in the fuse box under the hood.
Old 08-16-10, 04:16 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

81corolla, that is an awesome write up.
What a killer job!
I wish I had half the skill/knowledge as you.

I have to do the same thing on my RR axle.
I will probably try to buy the whole axle if I can find one for a good price.

I'm not a really good DIY guy, but I try. I can do small things. I hope I don't mess this one up.

Thanks so much for posting your work here. It will most def help a lot of people out.
Great job!!!!!
Old 11-09-10, 04:24 AM
Gomer1
Driver

Great write up! My RX does the same, but only when turning left. Are there 4 reluctor rigns, and if so, how do I know which on is the broken one? Do I have to check them all? Cleaning the sensors did not fix the problem for me, though I'm not totally sure I got the rear ones entirely.
Also, is there a way to disconnect the ABS sensor per wheel? I've disconnected the plug by the antifreeze reservoir, but this disconnects ABS entirely, I would like to disconnect it wheel by wheel, if possible. -TIA
Old 11-09-10, 08:38 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good write-up!
Old 11-09-10, 06:07 PM
81corolla
Driver

Originally Posted by Gomer1
Great write up! My RX does the same, but only when turning left. Are there 4 reluctor rigns, and if so, how do I know which on is the broken one? Do I have to check them all? Cleaning the sensors did not fix the problem for me, though I'm not totally sure I got the rear ones entirely.
Also, is there a way to disconnect the ABS sensor per wheel? I've disconnected the plug by the antifreeze reservoir, but this disconnects ABS entirely, I would like to disconnect it wheel by wheel, if possible. -TIA
There are 4 reluctor rings. There are several ways to figuring out which one is bad.

Method A: disconnect each sensor, one at a time and drive. When problem stops, then that wheel has the broken ring.

To disconnect the FRONT sensors, you have to remove the wheel cowling liner. Actually you don't have to remove it, just unscrew the top and side screws, pull back the liner, trace the wire up from behind the wheel and you'll find the connector. Unplug it and see if problem goes away. If not, reconnect and repeat on other FRONT sensor.

To disconnect the REAR sensors... well I've never done it. I think it's kind of a pain. The manual says "Remove rear seat, scuff plate and rear seat side molding." That sounds like an awful lot of work just to get to the rear sensor connector so you can disconnect it. Perhaps you can get to it by removing the trunk liner. Others may have tips regarding the rear sensors.

Method B: Knock axle in to reveal reluctor ring and visual inspect it.

Follow the procedure earlier in the thread on removing the axle nut and knocking/tapping the axle in with a sledge hammer. Once the reluctor ring is revealed from the hub, inspect it for a break. Or tap it w/a screwdriver to see if it spins as mentioned in post #28: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5653405-post28.html

It's not that bad and I was able to check all 4 rings in a little over an hour. I think it beats having to remove the rear seat!

Method C: Ask dealer/shop to find the bad ring.

Method D: Cleaning the sensors rarely fixes the problem. But if you are able to remove the sensors without breaking a bolt, then you may be able to insert a small screwdriver into the opening and try to rotate the ring. A broken ring should move easily.

The only update I have on my ring is that I took it to several weld shops who wouldn't touch it. Even a foaf didn't want to try welding it together. So it's either buy a new ring and figure out how to get it on the axle or buy a new axle.
Old 12-09-10, 01:00 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A tip that might just work for someone in the future whose wallet is rather thin. Whatever you're fastening MUST be CLEAN and free of ANY grease, oil, dirt or anything but pure (preferable sanded with 100-120 grit sand paper). Then use Urethane. It is one of the most aggressive adhesives I've ever seen. Unlike epoxy, which often tends to get HARD, urethane gets rather stiff, but never HARD, and it sticks to almost anything like a bull dog. It's what's used to put car windshields in with, but almost the same product is used in industry and construction. I've used it for many years for MANY things, and there's nothing like it. Don't even think of using Silicone! There IS NO comparison.
Old 09-29-11, 11:14 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Question Yo...81coroolla

81corlliia,

It appears to me via the picture on page 19. That, it wouldn't take much more work to remove and replace the wheel bearing with a new unit while you where in that area?

Avoiding the cost to have a shop press the old bearing out. And, Mostly, all the work to remove and replace the whole brake backing plate assembly and schlep the assembly to the shop and back home.

What do you think?

I've got a noisy rear wheel bearing on my 99 120K awd RX300.

Jerry S...

Last edited by Aprazur; 09-29-11 at 11:18 PM. Reason: cuss words
Old 11-06-11, 07:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprazur
81corlliia,

It appears to me via the picture on page 19. That, it wouldn't take much more work to remove and replace the wheel bearing with a new unit while you where in that area?

Avoiding the cost to have a shop press the old bearing out. And, Mostly, all the work to remove and replace the whole brake backing plate assembly and schlep the assembly to the shop and back home.

What do you think?

I've got a noisy rear wheel bearing on my 99 120K awd RX300.

Jerry S...
Jerry,

I plan to be working on that area today to check my cv axle out, what page 19 were you referring to?
Old 11-06-11, 10:09 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Jerry,

I plan to be working on that area today to check my cv axle out, what page 19 were you referring to?
I think he is talking about post 19.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5653369-post19.html
Old 11-06-11, 10:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
I think he is talking about post 19.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5653369-post19.html
Reason I ask is because on SA-19 in the service manual, they talk about the front drive shaft.

I don't think there would be much more work to do the bearing at that point, but am going to try to take a look personally this afternoon at my front right wheel and see for myself (I had it off many years ago, but again, would like to see personally).

Quick Reply: DIY: Repair broken reluctor ring (tone ring)