RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'02 RX300 noise from right front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 07:40 AM
Rudy602
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 RX300 noise from right front wheel

My '02 RX300 makes an unusual scraping noise when I first back out of the garage after sitting all night. It usually doesn't start untill I turn the wheel, almost as if the tire were rubbing on something but sometimes it does it just backing out. After it makes the noise, it goes away and doesn't return untill the next day. I've crawled under there and there are no foreign objects and everything looks fine. I don't think it's brake related either. I didn't see any other related threads so I take it it's not a common occurance. Any Ideas?
Old 06-19-10, 09:26 AM
RA073123
Rookie

i get the same noise too on my 01 rx300 i have no idea what it is...
Old 06-19-10, 12:45 PM
Rudy602
Driver

Default RE: noise from right front

How long has it been since you first noticed it? How many miles on your 300?
Old 06-23-10, 08:51 AM
Rudy602
Driver

Default Front end woes

Anyone know what the first front end parts likely to fail on 1st Generation RX's are?
Old 06-23-10, 12:50 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy602
My '02 RX300 makes an unusual scraping noise when I first back out of the garage after sitting all night. It usually doesn't start untill I turn the wheel, almost as if the tire were rubbing on something but sometimes it does it just backing out. After it makes the noise, it goes away and doesn't return untill the next day. I've crawled under there and there are no foreign objects and everything looks fine. I don't think it's brake related either. I didn't see any other related threads so I take it it's not a common occurance. Any Ideas?
If every thing else checks out fine, you may like to reconsider the brake and try doing a flush of the fluid. When you apply and release the brakes, the pads are not really pulled back if you stop. The next time the the tire rotates, due to run-out in the disc and no pressure in the brake line, the calipers are pushed out and you can hear the scraping sound [This sound is pronounced if you are in the garage]. The flush would get fresh fluid in the line and can help in the flow-back.

Salim
Old 06-23-10, 07:14 PM
Rudy602
Driver

Salim, I guess it's possible that it's brake related, but when I changed the pads about 3000 miles ago, I had the rotors turned and I changed the fluid. Everything has been fine untill recently I noticed the noise that lasts about 1 second when I'm halfway down the driveway [backing up] or sooner if I turn the wheel sharply to turn around. I have also noticed a very slight vibration in the steering wheel recently at highway speeds. I almost didn't change the brake fluid because it looked so clear but decided to anyway - sealed container, etc. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Maybe if I jack it up and pull the wheel, I can duplicate the sound and check if the brakes are hanging up or what. Any ideas?
Old 06-23-10, 07:24 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Is the brake shield bent or hitting anything while the wheels are locked either left or right?
Old 06-23-10, 09:10 PM
Rudy602
Driver

No, I don't think anything is bent because it only does it after sitting and then only for a second and even if the wheels are straight. Nothing's easy, huh? Thanks for the thoughts, I'm gonna jack it up and check anyway just to make sure.
Old 06-25-10, 04:11 AM
Rudy602
Driver

Default mystery noise

Yesterday when I backed down the drive, I held slight pressure on the brakes and it still made the noise so I'm still questioning their involvement in this issue. I had probably backed up at least 2 or 3 car lengths before I heard it. ???????????????
Old 06-25-10, 05:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Is the noise a clicking one and how long to do you hear it? I get some noises pulling out of the driveway that I've been trying to put my finger on for some time.
Old 06-25-10, 09:42 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rudy, I may be way out of touch here but what you are describing could be a noise from your power steering belt or pump. Did you rule this possibility out?
Old 06-25-10, 12:06 PM
Rudy602
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Is the noise a clicking one and how long to do you hear it? I get some noises pulling out of the driveway that I've been trying to put my finger on for some time.
I would describe it as more of a muffled scratching or scraping or rubbing noise that only lasts for about 1 second and only happens once unless the car sits again for many hours. I thought I heard a hint of the same noise only quieter when I backed out her '04 330 today, or maybe I'm just losing it. Never overlook the obvious, right?
Old 06-25-10, 12:13 PM
Rudy602
Driver

Originally Posted by noku
Rudy, I may be way out of touch here but what you are describing could be a noise from your power steering belt or pump. Did you rule this possibility out?
I haven't ruled anything out but I wonder why it only does it for a second and then goes away and doesn't return. I can start it and let it run for a while but it doesn't happen untill I move it. Could it have something to do with the AWD?
Old 06-25-10, 03:16 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy602
I haven't ruled anything out but I wonder why it only does it for a second and then goes away and doesn't return. I can start it and let it run for a while but it doesn't happen untill I move it. Could it have something to do with the AWD?
Definately something rubbing or hanging up.
Could be just the pads un-seating from the rotors as it first rolls out.--Normal

Should you be worried about it?--No. Since it only happens once and for a sec.
My sugg. is to leave it alone and don't lose sleep over it.
If it apparently gets worse, it will be easier to pin point the problem.

Or if it's really bugging you.
Have a shop take a look at it.
Old 06-26-10, 05:57 AM
Rudy602
Driver

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Definately something rubbing or hanging up.
Could be just the pads un-seating from the rotors as it first rolls out.--Normal

Should you be worried about it?--No. Since it only happens once and for a sec.
My sugg. is to leave it alone and don't lose sleep over it.
If it apparently gets worse, it will be easier to pin point the problem.

Or if it's really bugging you.
Have a shop take a look at it.
I'm not losing any sleep over it - got plenty of other issues for that - just trying to keep something small from getting large. It's an '02 w/56K, and I noticed a slight vibration on the highway. Doesn't shake the wheel out of my hand yet, but it didn't do it before. I don't mind if it ages gracefully, just dont want to ignore anything that's talking to me. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: '02 RX300 noise from right front wheel