RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HID Conversion Kits...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 09:11 AM
FastEC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Conversion Kits...

Has anyone used an aftermarket HID conversion kit on their non HID OEM RX headlights? If so, how have they performed? I was considering it but have been told of a couple of drawbacks...1)potential flickering problems and 2)short lifespan compared to just replacing the original non-HID OEM headlight assembly by itself. Also, someone told me they had seen fogging problems with the HID conversion kits inside the assembly. I wanted to upgrade to HID, since I just changed all of my interior lights and license plate lights to white LEDS and it really makes the ride look much sweeter without all the old yellow light, but I have my reservations.
Old 03-12-10, 11:02 AM
ivan1
Driver

i have not experience any of the problem that you mentioned with the kit i have. i got a 8000k 55W kit from ddm tuning and it is perfect. since it's 55w it looks more like a 6000k temp. just read the info on the site it explains it all.

they offer two kits. a 35W which is like your typical HID kit and a 55w, the 55w is twice as bright. and it wasn't expensive at all. you get lifetime warranty on there products. i'd say check it out you have nothing to lose.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=85&pg=1
Old 03-13-10, 10:05 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 35 w 8000k for about 2 years now and they are still good.
Old 03-13-10, 05:13 PM
FastEC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info...I'm obviously going to look into both of these kits. I've just been hesitant due to various stories I've heard about aftermarket conversion kits. Guess it all depends on which one you get. I just bought all new led lights for my RX to replace all the dome lights, courtesy lights, map lights and license plate lights from the Driver's Seat locally and they work fine so far and look really nice, but I bought led map lights on the internet for my new Infiniti G37S convertible and, while they lit up the interior aluminum trim like daylight and looked really cool, they only lasted a week and one completely died and the other one reverted back into a 1979 disco strobe light. Thought about leaving it in and just cranking some Snoop Dog and Lil Jon and goin' clubbin' in my car. Thanks for letting me know that there are some kits that you've had success with.
Old 03-14-10, 07:25 PM
FastEC
Driver School Candidate

Picked up my new OEM non-HID headlight assemblies yesterday. Wow...what a difference from my old ones that had yellowed. I've decided for now to go the non-HID route again but use Toshiba HIR/OSRAM/Sylvania Silver Star Ultra/Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra bulbs instead of the stock yellow bulbs and cover the light assemblies with 3M film (same as invisible bra) to protect them from yellowing. This should give me white light that is a little more powerful than the stock bulbs, although admittedly not as intense as HID (I can always go the HID route later if needed). Does anyone have any experience with these bulbs? I have read mixed results but felt it was a less expensive and potentailly less troublesome route to go as a starting point.
Old 03-15-10, 08:45 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my HID aftermarket conversion for 6 years already and it still works great. No fogging, no flickering. It is 35 watts, 5300 K. I paid the going price of almost $300 for it then from ebay lol! Considering that technology to make these systems had changed over the years and that they only cost around $65 nowadays (I think we have a great CL vendor here who sells HID kits), I'd highly recommend it.
Old 03-15-10, 09:18 PM
ivan1
Driver

i used to use SYLVANYA silverstar Ultras. best bulbs i had but they dim on you in about a year. honestly just go to DDMtuning website. lifetime warranty on everything. all my friends have their 35w kits and they love them. i personally have the 55w because i need to see the road better. and it will be only 20$ more than buying a pair of top of hte line halogens.
Old 07-16-10, 05:25 PM
FastEC
Driver School Candidate

I put PIAA extreme white bulbs in my hi/lo/fog/parking lights after I replaced the old faded and yellowing headlight assemblies with new ones. The headlights look great and I had an invisible bra put on them to try to stop the fogging and yellowing I had with the old ones. The PIAA bulbs are by no means as bright as the HIDs on my new Infiniti G37, but they are much better light and look lots better than the original yellow halogens the car uses as stock headlights. Time will tell how long they last and if they were worth the $80+/pair.