RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Window Switch Problems Pass side

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 02:11 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Switch Problems Pass side

hey fellow RX'ers....the wifes Rx300 (2002 2wd ) has been having intermittent pass side window control issues... some times the damn window will go down ok, but then not back up or it will only go up half way & stop & nothing will work then suddenly the drivers side control will raise it... most or all of the way back up and closed... some times it wil lgo down half way, stick & then all of a sudden drop the rest of the way or go back up half way then stop all on it's own...

Obviously this is a pain in wet weather and my wife is a total bisssshh now when anyone lowers the front pass window since most of the time it will not go back up...

the Drivers side, and all of the back windows have no problem...it is only the passenger side front window

I have heard this is not a totally unique problem.. has anyone else had it & found any decentl fix.??

I hear these damn controls are SUPER expensive to replace from a dealer even the parts them selves are super expensive.

Can anyone help...??

ed g
Old 03-02-10, 03:01 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Is the window slowly comes to a stop then you have to wait a while for it to work?

If that's the case...
You will likely need a window motor.

Don't go to the dealer for it since it'll cost you $400+ for the part alone( motor/regulator)
Local pepboys or autozone should have something similar for around $100 minus core.
Old 03-02-10, 11:03 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Edgy- don't know a lot about this except for what I've read, but it's worth a try. It worked on a car that I was doing the lock motors on. Run the window all the way down (try it with the pass. control, if it won't go all the way down that way, try with the drivers control. Then try and run it up with the pass. control. If it won't go up or not all the way, again, try the drivers control. When it hits the top, with either the pass (#1) or the drivers (#2), HOLD the switch, don't release it for at least 4-5 seconds. See if that corrects the problem. It did on the car I spoke of. Don't ask me to explain it, it is the procedure for resetting the window control. Good Luck!
Old 07-29-10, 06:59 PM
jimbonuttz
Driver School Candidate

I've been having window issues on the passenger front window for months now and i initially thought it was the motor so i replaced it and still same symptoms no luck. i later figured out that each control on each door is separate from one another meaning that the control itself can go bad. all my other windows work fine telling me it's not a fuse issue. i replaced the motor so i know its not the motor issue... my problem was fixed once i replaced the control board for that window/door.

fyi when i say control i mean the thing that houses the lock and window buttons each door has it's own control and the driver control is the master control.
Old 08-02-10, 05:17 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Can you try using the switch from one of the other doors? Swap the RF control with RR (I imagine the electrical connections are the same) and see if the other switch works. If it doesn't change anything, see if you can borrow the driver's master switch from someone and try swapping that for a few tries. I know it's not just like you'll find one lying around, though....
Old 11-02-10, 01:28 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

hi guys ... i am now dealing with at least 3 of the 4 damn windows that are giving the wife problems & NOW she will not event use them .. . tons o' fun at toll booths & parking garages let me tell you...

i am toying with the ideas of replacing all the switches but i will try the resetting of the windows procedures 1st then just pull it all apart & check the electrical connections for corrosion or ??? & THEN,....if nothing helps, I will try replacing the controls for each window as soon as i can find a good deal on used parts & i can afford them

all my problems are basically the window will drop and stop half way or stop half way when raising it & not go back up its usually totally unresponsive to the switch...some times i press up to close it & the damn thing goes down instead some times it will be stuck this way for days & then suddenly it can be closed & we just don't want to try it again..

It appears to me this is an electrical issue either with a switch or the internal electronics of the switch.. .but it is a TOTAL PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!

the wife is NOT happy let me tell you 1st it was just he rear pass side ... .then the front pass side now the drivers side is out & the only one that woprks is the rear drivers side window!!!

'F' this expensive & even if you DIY it...TIME CONSUMING fix.... BS,...gimme a damn CRANK again!!
Old 11-02-10, 10:46 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Edgy- did you see this, and did you try it? I believe all 3 other windows go through the drivers main switch. Maybe it's as simple as what this poster posted. You MAY NOT even have problems with the other 3 switches. It's worth a try. I don't believe I have problems in life, only challenges. A positive attitude will go miles farther than a negative one will. Good Luck!

Dead driver door power window fixed
This is such a great site, whenever I have a problem I come back and find the answer or at least a solid background to help me tackle it.

The wife came home tonight with a dead stuck-down driver door power window. She had had problems the last time it worked (had to push the button up and down a couple times) but it apparently totally died. I checked for fuses (FYI, there is one fuse for both front windows and the passenger side worked fine). No clicks or anything, all other windows worked fine. Searched the forum and found conflicting info,its the switch, the module, the motor, mechanism lube, recalibrate the pinch, etc. Sounded expensive..

I couldn't figure out how to pull the door panel myself but after finding Lexmex's excellent
DIY, it was off in no time.

I found that the "module" IS the "switch", its one electronic piece. I took it apart. I couldn't find anything that looked burned or loose. The switches are low current elastomeric(?) type. Just as a hunch, I just wiped off the driver window contacts on the circuit board and and the switch pad and put it back together. IT WORKED, this was all that was wrong, it now works like new. Total time, about two hours, total cost, NOTHING.

If anyone else has a dead window, this fix is easy to try. All you have to do is pry the switch panel out and remove it by disconnecting the plug. Take it to a clean (and static free) environment and remove the three big gold screws. Pry the six plastic clips around the edge and separate the circuit from the switches. Clean the black pads on the bad button. Reassemble, plug back in and give it a try.

I went to the trouble of pulling the door apart which did allow me to lube the mechanism some, which probably is not a bad idea, but it would have been much easier to go directly to the switch.

Gary

Last edited by code58; 11-02-10 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-06-10, 06:33 PM
mb001
Driver School Candidate

Edgy, have you gotten anywhere with yours? Our 2002 rx300 was doing the same thing, seemed to have a mind of its own. Only the drivers window, everything else is fine. now however, its stuck in the up position. I tried the simple fix posted by code 58, nothing.
Old 11-07-10, 03:37 AM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by code58
I don't believe I have problems in life, only challenges. A positive attitude will go miles farther than a negative one will. Good Luck!
-I love that!!!!
Old 06-05-11, 12:44 PM
jgulvin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had same exact problem on 2002 RX300. After removing the door panel and doing some troubleshooting with a multimeter, I found the Black wire on the 5 wire connector going to the motor had a 25 ohm resistance when it should be 0 (or very close to it) since it is a ground. Something in the wiring somewhere had built up resistance, not uncommon as cars get old. Ran a temporary ground to the Black wire, window goes up and down like it's new.

Now the hard part, running a wire from the door to a "good" ground somewhere inside for the permanent fix.

Hope this helps, it worked for me!
Old 07-15-11, 11:27 AM
Gomer1
Driver

"HALP!" i've been having the same problem for a while, now, i noticed it has done it once on the driver side as well :-(
Old 07-15-11, 07:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Gomer1
"HALP!" i've been having the same problem for a while, now, i noticed it has done it once on the driver side as well :-(
Tell me the full symptoms.
Old 07-18-11, 06:56 AM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Tell me the full symptoms.
From either passanger or driver side switches, when i press down on passenger window, window responds right away, or decides to be a little delayed. when down, if i pull up, it responds right away, or it decides to be a little delayed. i might actually have to press/pull the button a few times before i get any sort of response, and when it responds, it might actually only go up half way, and then it stops. then i pull the button for the window to go up, and it decides to go down. As somebody said, "as if it had a mind of its own" Problem is not constant, however, i can say that i occurs more often in the Summer
Old 07-18-11, 07:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Gomer1
From either passanger or driver side switches, when i press down on passenger window, window responds right away, or decides to be a little delayed. when down, if i pull up, it responds right away, or it decides to be a little delayed. i might actually have to press/pull the button a few times before i get any sort of response, and when it responds, it might actually only go up half way, and then it stops. then i pull the button for the window to go up, and it decides to go down. As somebody said, "as if it had a mind of its own" Problem is not constant, however, i can say that i occurs more often in the Summer
My first inclination is that the rubber that runs around the window (known as the glass run) might need some cleaning. I took it out and cleaned it thoroughly before running taking a paper towel and running some lithium grease along both sides of the window. If dirty, it can catch.
Old 07-18-11, 08:16 AM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
My first inclination is that the rubber that runs around the window (known as the glass run) might need some cleaning. I took it out and cleaned it thoroughly before running taking a paper towel and running some lithium grease along both sides of the window. If dirty, it can catch.
Thank you Lexmex, I will take a look, but the problem really seems electrical, more than mechanical.

Quick Reply: Window Switch Problems Pass side