RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

List what you've done to prevent transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 10:55 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List what you've done to prevent transmission failure

Like it says list your ideas or what you've done to prevent transmission failure. We all know the basics, but what has worked for you?

My first contribution:

Its currently hooked up like this:
transmission feed to radiator->radiator to cooler-> cooler back to trans
installed pics:

I might eliminate it routing to the radiator all together because I think the factory radiator setup heatsoaks the transmission fluid. Also i would like to make it a remote v-mount on the bottom with a small fan on it. But for now it is mounted longways on the driver's side of the AC condensor getting direct air flow through the grill. Will update this post with an installed pic tomorrow.
Also I've put about 100 miles on this cooler and I would definitely say it helps, Im seeing much smoother shifts, it could be my mind playing tricks on me but I believe its definitely worth doing.
Anyone have an opinion on the MAGNEFINE inline transmission magnetic filter?

Last edited by silvertn35; 02-27-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 11:30 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Nothing.

I make complete stops (wheels are not turning) when I switch in or out of "R". Also I keep engine rpm less than 3Krpms as the engine-transmission warms up.

Salim
Old 02-27-10, 07:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I do exactly the same on warm ups that Salim does. Usually can take about 2 to 4 minutes until the tranny's warmed up.

Other things I've done is to remove the windshield wiper reservoir that goes in front of the OEM tranny cooler.

When I was in Mexico we also installed a high stall torque converter (that's not really necessary, but that converter runs hotter and needs better than stock fluid) and also had the transmission strengthened where it could be (similar to what IPT or Level 10 would do). One thing that was suggested down there is that we painted the tranny. A thing that I learned of down there (given flooding in Mexico City) is that the hot/cold had fractured internals given the quick hot/cold of taking a hot tranny and submerging it partially through water. I'm not in full agreement with this, but I know it's occurred there with smaller vehicles. I also leave the transmission dipstick open to release heat/pressure. Finally, I use something other than the stock transmission fluid, Toyota Type IV, and just yesterday switched from Amsoil ATF (had run just fine for 2 years) to Redline's D4. There's also Royal Purple's ATF, Wolf's Head and Mobil 1 ATF that will work with our trannies.

One other thing that I started doing yesterday as an experiment is that I replaced the magnetic plug on the front differential with a non-magnetic one. I'd like to not have an accumulation of sludge as much as possible anywhere but the pan or filter and even though there's not much accumulation there on the magnet, I'd like to see what occurs in the pan, magnets and filters next time I change it out. I really had more accumulation this time than previously.

Changing out filter and tranny at least once every 15K miles is what I'm doing.

Some people have used the magnefine filter with the RX300 and I believe they've had success with it trapping particles, but I'll let them chime in.

The Redline D4 I just put in seems to have bit better glide than the Amsoil (at least after I put that stuff in for the first time) as it has a bit different viscosity (I'll have to post up the various tech specs for the various ATFs).
Old 02-27-10, 08:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Here are the specifications (at least ones I could find that I could correlate properly across brands). The Mobil 3309 is the Toyota Type IV.
Attached Thumbnails List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-screenhunter_01-feb.-27-12.41.gif  

Last edited by Lexmex; 02-27-10 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 08:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow, now it would be nice to know what those numbers mean in layman terms...I am curious....
Old 02-27-10, 09:17 AM
silvertn35
Rookie

+1 could you please help by telling what the numbers mean , I simply don't know enough about transmissions to be able to interpret that.

Those are some pretty good ideas you have provided. In your opinion, which would you say is best or meets the most needs of our transmission? An oem or an aftermarket fluid? I've always liked using aftermarket parts on my vehicles, so if there is an aftermarket fluid that would be more beneficial I will switch to it next time around.

Another thing , what do people prefer as far as cleaning the metal filter or switching to a paper element?
Oh another thing I just noticed, so is the mobil one 3309 the same as the oem Toyota fluid?
Old 02-27-10, 09:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by silvertn35
+1 could you please help by telling what the numbers mean , I simply don't know enough about transmissions to be able to interpret that.

Those are some pretty good ideas you have provided. In your opinion, which would you say is best or meets the most needs of our transmission? An oem or an aftermarket fluid? I've always liked using aftermarket parts on my vehicles, so if there is an aftermarket fluid that would be more beneficial I will switch to it next time around.

Another thing , what do people prefer as far as cleaning the metal filter or switching to a paper element?
Oh another thing I just noticed, so is the mobil one 3309 the same as the oem Toyota fluid?
Yes, on the M1 3309 and the Toyota Type IV, there is a Mazda fluid that is also the same. A few years ago while in Mexico I had a bottle of Type IV that I showed said Exxon Mobil on the bottle. Mobil 3309 is not synthetic.

On the filter, this is the subject of some debate on this forum, and I really couldn't give you a definitive answer. I've done three tests in the past, one with the metal filter (since discarded), the paper filter (currently use and put in a new one yesterday) and shortly before I left Mexico I tried it once without a filter. The without a filter was kind of a mess and there was a lot of pressure I'd assume as I had leaking on the gasket, so I assume the filter helps, but as to where the metal filter is enough or the paper that's debatable. I had an issue several years ago with the paper filter's material dissipating after I washed it, something I didn't expect, but yesterday I performed the same test and didn't have an issue with the outgoing filter.

On the last point, it's probably easier if you read up on some things here (I had to in order to recall some specific points),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity_index
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pour_point
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

I liked the Amsoil ATF over the Type IV and I would bet that any synthetic that supports Type IV applications (all those mentioned above do) would be a step up. With different vehicles, there's arguments if this stuff is better or not, I've seen a lot of talk online from BMW and Ford owners for instance. One of our members, TunedRX300, has run over 50K miles with the same Amsoil ATF fluid an no issues. I've probably run about 15K or so, but I tend to be a guinea pig here on most things. I'd actually like to try Redline's 75W85 gear oil next time as opposed to the MaxGear 75W90 I'm using from Royal Purple for my transfer case and rear differential.

I came close to trying Royal Purple's ATF, but Redline is one that I've heard good things about from some local mechanics I know who've run the stuff and that was the ultimate difference.
Old 02-27-10, 10:46 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

So to simplify:

Viscosity @ 40C/100C: Higher the # is best

Pour point: Lower the # is best

Flash point: Higher the #

Viscosity Index: Higher the #

Is this correct?
Old 02-27-10, 11:11 AM
silvertn35
Rookie

so since Toyota type IV and mobil one 3309 are the same, then neither are synthetic. So I would definitely think there would be an advantage of switching to synthetic. I've heard good things locally on royal purple so maybe I will switch to that next or amsoil. I just had a flush performed at Lexus yesterday. In about 15k miles I'm going to replace the metal filter and gasket and switch to synthetic fluid. I'm
about to post pics of my trans cooler
Old 02-27-10, 11:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

so since Toyota type IV and mobil one 3309 are the same, then neither are synthetic. So I would definitely think there would be an advantage of switching to synthetic. I've heard good things locally on royal purple so maybe I will switch to that next or amsoil. I just had a flush performed at Lexus yesterday. In about 15k miles I'm going to replace the metal filter and gasket and switch to synthetic fluid. I'm
about to post pics of my trans cooler
I would have switched out to synthetic when I lived in Mexico City, but none was available down there and I was fortunate Toyota existed (didn't until 2002) in order to get coolant and the Type IV tranny.

I'd take ANY synthetic over Type IV in a heartbeat.
Old 02-27-10, 11:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueridge
So to simplify:

Viscosity @ 40C/100C: Higher the # is best

Pour point: Lower the # is best

Flash point: Higher the #

Viscosity Index: Higher the #

Is this correct?
Not necessarily.

Keep in mind that just like with engine oils we wouldn't want really high viscosity or the oil's just going to sit there and not flour. The pour and flash extremes are more in line to what you suggest above. Viscosity index is more arbitrary and I kind of ignore that.

Keep in mind that different vehicles seem to like different fluids.
Old 02-27-10, 12:07 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

Thanks your bing very helpful and informative. Have any experience or suggestions on choosing between amsoil and royal purple?
I plan on changing it out atleast every 30k.
Amsoil goes for $9.50 a quart plus tax and shipping . Not sure how I feel about paying that much for something that's going to come out in 30k miles.
I'm thinking of going with royal purple max ATF. It's available locally at pepboys.
Old 02-27-10, 01:22 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

updated with installed pics

still researching on which synthetic ATF I want to go with its between the amsoil and Royal purple.
AMSOIL is 9.75 a quart and here is some info:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Info on the Royal purple, going for $10-$11 a quart:http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html

Last edited by silvertn35; 02-27-10 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 02:06 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

updated with installed pics

still researching on which synthetic ATF I want to go with its between the amsoil and Royal purple.
AMSOIL is 9.75 a quart and here is some info:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Info on the Royal purple, going for $10-$11 a quart:http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html
I use RP and like it a lot. I have it in the RX and our Camry. I switched the RX over from Amsoil but couldn't tell a difference. The Camry was switched from OEM. There was a noticeable difference in both vehicles when switching from OEM although I did notice more improvement for the RX.

You'll be happy with either and a few others out there such as Redline. I think it come down to availability in your area. For me, I can get RP and Amsoil within 1/4 mile of each other.

I have found that Amazon has great price on RP. $118 for a case and free shipping, that's about $9.83/qt with no sales tax, shipping, or leaving your house.

Last edited by blueridge; 02-27-10 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 04:57 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Nothing.

I make complete stops (wheels are not turning) when I switch in or out of "R". Also I keep engine rpm less than 3Krpms as the engine-transmission warms up.

Salim
^^ Ditto....

Pretty funny since I just changed my engine and trans oil 2 hours ago.

Bought my RX w/ 115k. Got 158k now.
Original trans still shifts like butter. No signs of slipping (knock on wood)
Factory T-V fluid every 15k. Just drain and fill.

I'll be rockn' 200k soon.

Quick Reply: List what you've done to prevent transmission failure