RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Anyone have Yokohama AVID TRZ on their RX300

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 11:05 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Blueridge- That was good for a belly laugh! Not laughing at you, just that haven't we all made a similar mistake in life.
Oh no! Feel free to laugh at me....I laugh at it now, but now when I noticed the screw up. This is why I'm usually on here bashing Kumhos here when people ask.
Old 02-25-10, 11:09 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by artbuc
Roger, that is how I feel about my 99 Avalon AND that is how we felt about our RX300. Unfortunately, I think Toyota quality has been going downhill. We test drove the Acura MDX and RX350 on the same day. There was really no comparison and my wife picked the Acura. I don't want to offend anyone because this forum has been a huge help to me, BUT, IMHO, the new RX350 is a mere shadow of the RX300.
I've been following this too, what's sad is: A half a$@ed built Toyota is still better than a well built Detroit vehicle!
Old 02-26-10, 12:44 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
Oh no! Feel free to laugh at me....I laugh at it now, but now when I noticed the screw up. This is why I'm usually on here bashing Kumhos here when people ask.
Blueridge- I was glad that I researched the reviews on the tires because America's sells Kumho's too. I had somewhat settled on them BEFORE I read the reviews. As a matter of fact when I went to get the tires and wheels installed after I got the truck, I noticed a full set of used Kuhmo's laying on the floor in the shop. They had very good tread (probably 80-90 %) and I didn't ask them about the tires, but couldn't help but wonder if it wasn't an unhappy customer.
Old 02-26-10, 01:04 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artbuc
Roger, that is how I feel about my 99 Avalon AND that is how we felt about our RX300. Unfortunately, I think Toyota quality has been going downhill. We test drove the Acura MDX and RX350 on the same day. There was really no comparison and my wife picked the Acura. I don't want to offend anyone because this forum has been a huge help to me, BUT, IMHO, the new RX350 is a mere shadow of the RX300.
Sadly Art, that is exactly what I've read about Toyota's quality in recent years. They have tried to increase production in order to maintain price. Also have seen noted in some of the auto mag's that they have actually used cheaper interior parts to try to hold costs down. It used to be Nissan that got that well deserved criticism. My brother had a '95, an '05 and now a '10, all that he purchased new. He has had the misfortune of getting all (Camry's) that were U.S. made. He, as well as myself and my oldest brother spent a lottta years in body work. We all did top tier work so we know just what a car should look like. My brother said he could always tell the difference between the Japanese built Toyota's and the U.S. built ones. Just finer workmanship on the Japanese ones. My wife and I lucked out when we bought hers, because it was the 1st year of a new model that was accepted very well, Toyota had to import SOME of the Camry's from Japan to keep up with the demand. We were fortunate enough to get one that had a build date in Japan about 3 weeks before we bought it. Didn't even think about it til we got home and I looked at the post build date and noticed it was Japan built. It has been flawless and even looks as good inside as when we brought it home.
Good luck with the new MDX- that is 1 very nice vehicle (not even sure exactly what they call it, with all the NEW classes of vehicles)
Old 02-26-10, 01:11 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

I've been following this too, what's sad is: A half a$@ed built Toyota is still better than a well built Detroit vehicle!
Blueridge- I was working on those cars back in the (70's especially) and all I can do is shake me head (did then too) when I think of the quality of what rolled off the assembly line, IF they had ANY standards AT ALL, they would have rejected every single one that came off the line. The quality (read lack of) was so bad it literally sends shivers up my back thinking about it.
Old 02-26-10, 11:07 AM
ByTor
Driver

Not to hijack the thread, even though it is drifting a little, I was considering trying some Yokohama YK520's in a size not mentioned much, and not easy to find. 225 65R16. I assume these will fit on the RX, since they are only slightly wider than the 70's.
Has anyone put 65's on their RX, anyone tried the YK520's ? Reviews are all over the place, from best tire ever to worst treadwear ever etc.
I would appreciate any input regarding the size and the tire itself.
Old 02-26-10, 12:05 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ByTor
Not to hijack the thread, even though it is drifting a little, I was considering trying some Yokohama YK520's in a size not mentioned much, and not easy to find. 225 65R16. I assume these will fit on the RX, since they are only slightly wider than the 70's.
Has anyone put 65's on their RX, anyone tried the YK520's ? Reviews are all over the place, from best tire ever to worst treadwear ever etc.
I would appreciate any input regarding the size and the tire itself.
Sorry. That was my fault. Back to tires!
Old 02-26-10, 12:23 PM
ByTor
Driver

No problem. I'm guilty too.

Last edited by ByTor; 02-26-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 11:50 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ByTor
No problem. I'm guilty too.
Guilty as charged here. Tor, I can't help unfortunately. I went to buy the Yoko 520's and the salesman talked me out of them and into the Avid TRZ's. I felt he was doing me a favor because he told me the 520's would track poorly because of the grooves we have cut in the pavement on the freeways here in So. Cal. (the straight lines in the circumference of a tire tend to follow those cut grooves and they need an alignment on the front end of the diamond wheeled cutter that they cut the grooves with ) Unfortunately the Avid TRZ's also have straight lines similar to the 520's, so reacted pretty much the same- and the rest is history! If you don't have the grooves cut in the pavement where you live, it should be a non-issue.
Old 03-01-10, 07:48 AM
ByTor
Driver

We do have grooves in some of the highways around here, but not too deep. I guess knowone has ever dared get 225/65-16 tires on an RX-300. I may be the first in the history of the world to attempt it. We will see this summer when I have to replace the Dunlops I currently have.
Old 03-01-10, 09:55 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Yeah, sorry....Guilty of hijacking here too. But Code58 made me do it! . No help with the exact tire. My two cents is; you can't go wrong wrong with any Yoko!
Old 03-01-10, 11:29 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Yeah, sorry....Guilty of hijacking here too. But Code58 made me do it! . No help with the exact tire. My two cents is; you can't go wrong wrong with any Yoko!
I'm good at that BR, and if your good at something, I say do your very best at it!
Old 03-10-15, 09:05 PM
shepherd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gmann
Will need some new tires soon. Has anyone put on Yokohama AVID TRZ's on their RX300? If so would you recomend? I currently have the Yokohama Geolanders and have been happy with them but wanted to see how the AVID TRZ's rate. Please let me know how many miles you've driven on them and the current tread left.

Thanks
I have worked in the tire business for 6.5 years. TRZ's are average at best in snow and terrible on ice. If you're ever driving in snow, I wouldn't consider them. Spend the extra $ and get the Michelin LTX M/S 2. Great in all weather and they'll last literally twice as long as any other tire on the market. Saves you $ in the long run.
Old 03-11-15, 11:36 AM
mizak82
Rookie

Originally Posted by shepherd
I have worked in the tire business for 6.5 years. TRZ's are average at best in snow and terrible on ice. If you're ever driving in snow, I wouldn't consider them. Spend the extra $ and get the Michelin LTX M/S 2. Great in all weather and they'll last literally twice as long as any other tire on the market. Saves you $ in the long run.

you started with tires right around the time the OP asked this question.. lol.. jk

I purchased 4 Continental Pure Contacts two weeks ago.. According to Tirerack they were the 2nd rated tire in the class and 50 dollars a piece less than the #1 rated tire.. I like them so far..
Old 03-16-15, 05:51 PM
shepherd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mizak82
you started with tires right around the time the OP asked this question.. lol.. jk

I purchased 4 Continental Pure Contacts two weeks ago.. According to Tirerack they were the 2nd rated tire in the class and 50 dollars a piece less than the #1 rated tire.. I like them so far..
Pretty close to it. I didn't check the op date when I posted on here. Didn't mean to dig up an ancient thread. Pure contacts seem like a great tire. Everything I know about them is great so far but we'll need a year or so before we know how many miles to expect out of them.