RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Key/Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 02:47 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation Key/Door Lock Problem

My Rx is driving me crazy with this door lock thing. I just bought another key for it, since i lost one of the keys. I HAD 2 Master keys and a Valet. Now just 1 master and 1 valet. But i just bought another master. So that starts me at a beginning again. I got it cut and programmed to start the car itself. Went to check the lock and unlock and panic buttons and nothing. The locksmith and myself tried his instructions and mine that were given to me, AND i tried some i found online and nothing. Now when i open my drivers door, which is the main door for the remote programming, NO lights come on and no door open light comes on in the instrument cluster and the lock actuator is going. This has been happening for a while and it hasn't bothered me to just push the lock closed on my way out. I refuse to pay the $550 for them to put a new actuator in the door and i think the $15 door lock fix is too complicated for me to challenge. Now i have a feeling that this is stopping my remote part of the key from being programmed. Now can anyone help me bypass that so i can get the remote part working and just be done with it already??? Thanks to anyone who can respond with help. So frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails Key/Door Lock Problem-pops-lexus-010-1824-x-1368-.jpg  

Last edited by 99rx; 02-14-10 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 12:33 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

99- Do you have any friends who could help you with installation of one of the "piggyback" locks? I did 3 of them for one of the members a few days ago. I'd do it for you but since my arms aren't 2300 mi. long, that would be a little difficult. I bought 6 locks (package deal) for $15. + $10. shipping online. Beats the daylights out of $550. The $550. for 1 actuator is MORE THAN ABSURD, unless you work for AIG and just got your multi-million $ bonus. I honestly doubt that you can bypass it because the strip sensors in the factory actuators control a great deal of interaction of different systems throughout the car. That's one of the reasons the original actuator has to be left in place, even when the motor no longer works.
Old 02-06-10, 09:17 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I agree the actuator cost is steep, but it is more than the electromechanical relay. It is the door catch with door switch. It is an assembly.

As far as the thread starter post, I can not comprehend it. If there are not enough replies, maybe a re-post is needed.

Salim
Old 02-06-10, 11:26 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I agree the actuator cost is steep, but it is more than the electromechanical relay. It is the door catch with door switch. It is an assembly.

As far as the thread starter post, I can not comprehend it. If there are not enough replies, maybe a re-post is needed.

Salim
I agree Salim, but the actual part that wears out is the tiny brushes in the motor. I know right now where I can buy those motors for $1. or less. Problem is, minimum order is $100. It is highway robbery when T/L could not help but know when they designed that assy. with that cheap little Chinese motor in it that is would wear out in a few years and then it was designed in such a way as to make it impossible for all but the creative to avoid turning their wallet upside down and walking away when it was bare inside. NOT ALL electric locks wear out in what I would consider a short period of time. (probably no more than 3 hours total running time when you consider that the motor doesn't run more than 1/4-1/3 of a second each time it is either locked or unlocked) When I went to Lexus to check on the price for 4 new lock assy's for my DIL's RX (3 were shot, 1 worked about =70-80% of the time) and was told $1300. including tax for the 4 locks (just the parts), needless to say, it was time to become creative. With highway robbery like that, I get a smile on my face every time someone does the $5.piggyback lock replacement and T/L is deprived of another rip-off of $500.-$600. per lock. I was forced to replace ALL my breakers in my electrical box because when they sand blasted the house to re-stuco, they got sand in the breakers and they no longer worked. I called a DISCOUNT electrician for replacement price. They are obsolete here and only made in China now so are expensive. He told me about $1100. I bought the breakers for $460. and installed them myself in 45 min. Sorry, but I feel if you're going to hold someone up, you should at least have a mask and a gun. I feel the same way about the T/L locks.
Old 01-25-11, 03:35 AM
McCloud
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen code58! I've done the breaker thing too. You are so right.
Old 10-02-14, 04:39 PM
ls4302004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock issue ls430

I fixed the driver door actuator electric motor - now when unlocking the locking system sounds like it is not cycling correctly - will continue to run for a few seconds - does not always unlock