RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

slow acceleration + little shaking from engine in low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 04:09 AM
Ymmot
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow acceleration + little shaking from engine in low rpms

Hi Guys and girls

My name is Tommy i live in indonesia and i just recently bought a Toyota Harrier aka Lexus rx300 its a 3.0 liter engine and fwd year 2000 but it might be a model 2001 since the taillights look different from model 2000.

I searched the site and found out that my RX has all the common problems such as D position bulp is dead im not gonna make a move on that since that is not important for me ....my clock resets when i start the car so a new battery should be needed small issue for me ill get that done later on.

The problem i got that is annoying me is that when i drive at low rpm the engine kinda like studder "shake" and have no power ..i seen many post on MAF-sensor and o2 sensor or IACV but i dunno where to start and even thoug i feel rich when i drive my RX the reality hits hard when i look into my wallet ..i have no check engine light on but it should be on since its not proper driving in low rpms.

I went to autorized toyota dealer close to me and omg indonesia never stops surprising you ..they started guessing this and that but since i had a feeling of what would be the problem either MAF sensor or O2 sensor then i just asked them to get prices on these parts ..well after waiting half an hour the guy came back and asked me for the spare part numbers since they could not find them ...soooooo i kinda lost confidence in that workshop should handle my car even a airfilter was not on stock ...this gonna work out great .

So is it pssible to have defect sensors and still no check engine light ? ..the motor vibrates and lack power in low rpms and how do i know where to start when i get no check engine light..the lack of power on accelaring is not consistent it comes and goes ...about how it is a high speed i dunno cause traffic is slow here and unfortunently thats means in low rpm most of the time...the mileage is poor its right now standing at 4.7 km pr liter not impressing.

so where to start with this MAF or O2 sensor or something totally else ?

could it be the coils that needs replacement ?

Any advice is appreciated

The car has been driving 127000 km
Old 02-02-10, 10:04 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

When you move your ignition key from off to ACC -> RUn/On [before start] does your CEL (check engine light) come on?

I guess your vehicle is not common where you live, that is why they do not stock parts.

Salim
Old 02-02-10, 12:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

4.7 km/l = 11.06 mpg

Even if you're not getting a check engine light there are codes known as pending or p/d codes that area readable with a handheld OBD2 scanner.

1. Clean the IACV, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-write-up.html

2. Runs some fuel injector cleaner in your gasoline, injectors can and will get dirty over time.

3. Tell me your RPMs in Park and in Drive?

What you describe seems very close to a misfire at low rpms, but reading the pending codes may help elaborate on this situation.
Old 02-02-10, 12:07 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

The pics are no more..
Old 02-02-10, 05:26 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hi Salim

hmm good question i dont have the instruction book i found rep manual on 1910 pages in pdf that does not explain the symbyls in dashboard though..i got a line of lights in the bottom ..ill mention them from right to left "btw my steering is in right side of the car"...first light from right side is symbol of a car with som sensor in the back i guess that one is for sensors this is yellow light..next from right side is abs also yellow light ...no 3 form right is what i guess the cel its shape as engine and also yellow light..then there is some distance for next light wich is red and says "A/T Oil temp ..next is battery symbol also red ...then a oilcan symbol also red ..then airbag symbol also red ..then space again and last one is seatbelt .

I hoope this is understandable if not let me know ill load a picture up then.

Thanks for your reply Salim _o_

Originally Posted by salimshah
When you move your ignition key from off to ACC -> RUn/On [before start] does your CEL (check engine light) come on?

I guess your vehicle is not common where you live, that is why they do not stock parts.

Salim
Old 02-02-10, 05:53 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hi Lexmex

They unfortunely removed the pics on the link u posted for the cleaning is there another place they are uploaded ? ..i will try call toyota today and hear if they got a OBD2 scanner ..i allrdy bought some Fuel injector cleaner the brand is Gumout ill add that when i fill up next time.

okay the rpms is as follow on cold engine it around 1500 rpm in P ..and on 1000 rpm in D.

after 2-3 min around 1000 rpms in P ..and 800 in D.

after 6 min temp is around the mid area rpms is at 750 approx in P.and if i shift to P it stays around 750 rpms.

Thanks for your reply Lexmex _o_

Originally Posted by Lexmex
4.7 km/l = 11.06 mpg

Even if you're not getting a check engine light there are codes known as pending or p/d codes that area readable with a handheld OBD2 scanner.

1. Clean the IACV, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-write-up.html

2. Runs some fuel injector cleaner in your gasoline, injectors can and will get dirty over time.

3. Tell me your RPMs in Park and in Drive?

What you describe seems very close to a misfire at low rpms, but reading the pending codes may help elaborate on this situation.
Old 02-02-10, 05:57 PM
salimshah

the Engine picture is the "CEL".

All warning lamps should come on when you move the key from Acc -> run. This checks that the bulbs are working.

The reason I asked was that you may have a CEL on or set, but if the bulb is not working [like the D bulb] you would not even know.

You can always have the code read by connecting OBDII to the connector.
[for right hand drive vehicles for usa the connector is below the steering wheel].

Read Lexmex post about pending and active codes. Also tell us the cold and hot idle rpms.

Salim
Old 02-02-10, 06:24 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hi again Salim

okay the rpms is as follow on cold engine it around 1500 rpm in P ..and on 1000 rpm in D.

after 2-3 min around 1000 rpms in P ..and 800 in D.

after 6 min temp is around the mid area rpms is at 750 approx in P.and if i shift to D it stays around 750 rpms.

ill try call toyota and see if they got a obd2 reader i dont have much faith in them though since it might not be the most sold car here but sparepart numbers should be something they could handle ..well that was not the case

Thanks for lightning fast reply _o_

Originally Posted by salimshah
the Engine picture is the "CEL".

All warning lamps should come on when you move the key from Acc -> run. This checks that the bulbs are working.

The reason I asked was that you may have a CEL on or set, but if the bulb is not working [like the D bulb] you would not even know.

You can always have the code read by connecting OBDII to the connector.
[for right hand drive vehicles for usa the connector is below the steering wheel].

Read Lexmex post about pending and active codes. Also tell us the cold and hot idle rpms.

Salim
Old 02-02-10, 07:04 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hmmm i just got SMS from Toyota they only have a IT 2 reader ..i dunno if thats the same as OBD2 reader ?

Will it do the trick ?
Old 02-02-10, 08:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Ymmot
Hmmm i just got SMS from Toyota they only have a IT 2 reader ..i dunno if thats the same as OBD2 reader ?

Will it do the trick ?
Yes, the IT2 is the Toyota reader and it can read OBD2 codes among other things.

I may do the IACV myself tomorrow morning and could repost some photos.

Your RPM numbers are okay.

Let's see what codes if any pop up.
Old 02-02-10, 09:09 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hi Lexmex

Okay i will try and book a time for the reading ..in the meantime i kind looked here and there and found some photos of the procedure so im gonna try to clean the IAVC as u suggested also i noticed later in the same string u refere to is some photos and i kinda get the drift on that proces.

I was up late last night so i went out since the roads where not crowded i drove with higher spedd than normal around 65 mph it seemed like no problem in higher rpms ... i rearly get above 40 mph since the roads are crappy and they are to busy..i noticed when uphill in low rpms the problem is more consisent ..the unnormal behaviour seems to only be there untill approx 1500 rpms

Ow i forgot ...thanks for your reply _o_
Old 02-02-10, 10:08 PM
salimshah

You did not mention if the CEL bulb tests out ok or not. [on when you go from ACC-> run ..before start].

Since the rpms look good, I think it is something other than the IACV.

How about having the vacuum tested at Toyota.

Next would be the ignition [plugs, ignition coils etc].

Since at high rpm things smooth out then you can eliminate air and fuel problems.

If you do the IACV job, be careful with the soft phillips head screws. Read the DIY and all the hints.

Salim
Old 02-02-10, 10:49 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hi Salim

Ya all my bulps is lighted up b4 i crank the engine ..after engine is turned on all lights turn off as they suppose to "if i fasten my seatbelt that is " .

Funny u mention the plugs that was my 1st thought when i felt it happen..well i asked toyota to check on them i was watching proces from the window in waiting room..the process went on like this ..took one plug out ..they looked at it ..confirmed all plugs was ok,which seems amazing they can conclude that from looking at just one of them :/ ..well now u have a bit idea about how workshops function in indonesia..thats whats annoying me most here no pride in the job they just work to collect salary which is no shame but i mean put a little heart in it wouldnt be too much..

Ill note to check vacum i think they can take me in tomorrow..should i cancel the IACV operation untill i get the codes and results from the vacum test ?

Thanks for your reply _o_
Old 02-02-10, 11:30 PM
Ymmot
Rookie

Hmmm Toyota claims it take a full day to do following ..

IT2 test checking for pending codes
vacum test
check coils and sparkplugs <------- that one is hard they say which makes sense since i notice the 3 in the back prolly aint easy to reach
Old 02-03-10, 09:15 AM
salimshah

IT2 check would tell you if there is a problem with plug/coil misfire.

Vacuum issues give you surge and drop in idle ans well as run rpm.

IACV will give you typically low idle rpms or unlikley high idle rpm.

Checking plugs is an old way of finding what is going on for combustion. These days a lot more can be understood by looking at the IT2 information as the engines are lot more complex and controlled by sensors.

I would suggest finding the right place to get your vehicle fixed. It starts by the shop that agrees that there is a problem.

I would defer to Lexmex on making the call to tinker with IACV. I would clean the MAF.

Salim

Quick Reply: slow acceleration + little shaking from engine in low rpms