RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help picking suspension upgrade part

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 08:20 AM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help picking suspension upgrade part

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get advices or inputs for suspension components. I'd like to give it as a gift to my dad (late x-mass present). As a Turboed MKIII Supra owner and a huge sport car lover he appreciate stiff ride and solid feel. Unfortunatly the RX300 (as you have probably noticed already :lol ) wasn't tune for max handling capability.

I'd like to remove as much squat, dive and roll as possible. To do so, I'd like to get a bigger rear sway bar and get stiffer lowering spring (new shock might also be a good idea). I have a realy good comprehension of suspension dynamic as I did a lot of reading, research and experiment (on a street/track 85 monster Celica).

The only bigger sway bars I've found are from the Silver Sport Edition but can't find the size of the bar. I also found a company named Ultra racing that had a rear 19mm bar for sale. I emailed the company to get a quote and had no answer (I live in Quebec, Canada).

As for the spring I've found a few options, but it's a bit confusing. Here are the models I'm looking at:
H&R 52485
Eibach 8269.140 (at least 50% pricier than the rest of bunch)
Spax S043003 (Reputation???)
Tein (listed for an MCU10)

I did a intensive search on the net to find informations about the topic, but couldn't find much.

I'd mostly like to know 4 things:

-Do the rear spring are compatible between a MCU10 and MCU15 (Toyota listing are different, but all spring manufacturer except one make no distinction)
-What is the Outside diameter of a Silver sport Edition sway bar?
-What would be the best spring option of the group?
-Anyone with lowered spring have any recommandation to give?

This is for a Canadian 2002 RX300 AWD (MCU15). I don't care much about the final height as they are in the same range.

Thanks
Old 01-25-10, 08:57 AM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys that was so helpfull!!

Anyway I'll reformulate my question by a single one.

Does MCU10 and MCU15 share the same coil spring configuration? Anyone has ever seen a FWD and a AWD model side by side on a lift to compare the suspension desing?
Old 01-25-10, 02:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdfreak
Thanks guys that was so helpfull!!

Anyway I'll reformulate my question by a single one.

Does MCU10 and MCU15 share the same coil spring configuration? Anyone has ever seen a FWD and a AWD model side by side on a lift to compare the suspension desing?
There's a tiny difference on the rear shocks between the FWD/AWD, but not the springs, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3171188-post34.html

Bloo1987 was able to put the supposedly only FWD Teins on an AWD RX300, but his pictures don't show up anymore here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-my-rx300.html
Old 01-25-10, 04:11 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Edit!! Wow now I look like an idiot because using the right keyword in the search feature got me more information in less time. Sorry for making a useless tread

Many many thanks to you. I've emailed Tein to ask them coils spring physical dimensions. Good to know someone else fitted them on an AWD model. Sorry for being a newby on the RX300.

When you say "was able to put" it mean he had some custom work to do. I've found an other tread about the topic, but no detail of what is needed. I have lot of fabrication skills but don't want to start cutting stuff on the RX as it's "only" a daily driver. What exactly is involved?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...269-540-a.html

I'll send him a pm to get more info and I'll post back the info.

Last edited by rwdfreak; 01-25-10 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 06:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Edit!! Wow now I look like an idiot because using the right keyword in the search feature got me more information in less time. Sorry for making a useless tread

Many many thanks to you. I've emailed Tein to ask them coils spring physical dimensions. Good to know someone else fitted them on an AWD model. Sorry for being a newby on the RX300.

When you say "was able to put" it mean he had some custom work to do. I've found an other tread about the topic, but no detail of what is needed. I have lot of fabrication skills but don't want to start cutting stuff on the RX as it's "only" a daily driver. What exactly is involved?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...269-540-a.html

I'll send him a pm to get more info and I'll post back the info.
I'm not sure what he ultimately did, but I can imagine that they had to rig something up to get it just right. I believe the only difference I've ever seen is the ABS cable holder (see the previous link and compare it to one on an FWD). I see this very clearly in the service manual. It's a tiny piece that sticks out near the end of the shock. On the FWD, it doesn't stick out, but runs parallel to the rest of the piece.

Personally, I felt better just going to the KYB GR-2 shocks and being done with it, and having used my RX south of the border in Mexico City, I can tell you that did enough even at very high speeds in terms of what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails Need help picking suspension upgrade part-img_0070.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 01-26-10 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 06:15 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Hey Lexmex,

Sorry havent been around. Been busy with school and such. But sorry to say I am parting out some of my RX300 mods because I am handing the car down to my little sister. She said the ride is too stiff and bumpy for her. So I had the Tein SS coilovers taken off this week and about to take out the EDFC. Wish I could keep them on but I cant. Loved the handling on it. Gonna miss it. Hows everything going with everyones RX/ride?

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There's a tiny difference on the rear shocks between the FWD/AWD, but not the springs, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3171188-post34.html

Bloo1987 was able to put the supposedly only FWD Teins on an AWD RX300, but his pictures don't show up anymore here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-my-rx300.html
Old 01-26-10, 06:17 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Pics are back up.
Old 01-26-10, 07:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bloo1987
Hey Lexmex,

Sorry havent been around. Been busy with school and such. But sorry to say I am parting out some of my RX300 mods because I am handing the car down to my little sister. She said the ride is too stiff and bumpy for her. So I had the Tein SS coilovers taken off this week and about to take out the EDFC. Wish I could keep them on but I cant. Loved the handling on it. Gonna miss it. Hows everything going with everyones RX/ride?
Good to see you again.
Old 01-26-10, 01:24 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

I got some information about Bloo1987 Tein coilovers, but realised I wasn't looking for a coilover setup.

Anyhow this is what he needed to do to make it fit.

So basicaly from what I've read I could buy a set of Tein SS coils and swap them without a problem. Im I right?
Old 01-26-10, 01:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I got some information about Bloo1987 Tein coilovers, but realised I wasn't looking for a coilover setup.

Anyhow this is what he needed to do to make it fit.

So basicaly from what I've read I could buy a set of Tein SS coils and swap them without a problem. Im I right?
Appears so, that's the only difference I see between FWD and AWD as far as the rear shocks and assembly.
Old 07-28-10, 12:39 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sway bars, suspension mods

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get advices or inputs for suspension components. I'd like to give it as a gift to my dad (late x-mass present). As a Turboed MKIII Supra owner and a huge sport car lover he appreciate stiff ride and solid feel. Unfortunatly the RX300 (as you have probably noticed already :lol ) wasn't tune for max handling capability.

I'd like to remove as much squat, dive and roll as possible. To do so, I'd like to get a bigger rear sway bar and get stiffer lowering spring (new shock might also be a good idea). I have a realy good comprehension of suspension dynamic as I did a lot of reading, research and experiment (on a street/track 85 monster Celica).

The only bigger sway bars I've found are from the Silver Sport Edition but can't find the size of the bar. I also found a company named Ultra racing that had a rear 19mm bar for sale. I emailed the company to get a quote and had no answer (I live in Quebec, Canada).

As for the spring I've found a few options, but it's a bit confusing. Here are the models I'm looking at:
H&R 52485
Eibach 8269.140 (at least 50% pricier than the rest of bunch)
Spax S043003 (Reputation???)
Tein (listed for an MCU10)

I did a intensive search on the net to find informations about the topic, but couldn't find much.

I'd mostly like to know 4 things:

-Do the rear spring are compatible between a MCU10 and MCU15 (Toyota listing are different, but all spring manufacturer except one make no distinction)
-What is the Outside diameter of a Silver sport Edition sway bar?
-What would be the best spring option of the group?
-Anyone with lowered spring have any recommandation to give?

This is for a Canadian 2002 RX300 AWD (MCU15). I don't care much about the final height as they are in the same range.

Thanks
Help! Did anyone ever find stiffer sway bars? Can you provide any contact information or part numbers?

I'd really like to stiffen things up from stock, but on a limited budget and I'm looking for "bang for the buck". I'm already maxing out on contact patch with 255 65 H 16's (on stock rims with exact-fit hub-centric spacers on the rear).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited by LA4Mead; 08-01-10 at 12:40 PM.