RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil drain pan a WEAR item?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 11:46 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Oil drain pan a WEAR item?

So, we took our RX with ~120k miles in for service (regular maintenance) and it gets returned to us with the dealer informing us that our oil drain plug is stripped of the threading. Therefore, they needed to retap the pan ($50 charged) and then, in the near future, requiring us to have a replacement installed (~$350 charge).

Our dealer explained to us that it was a "wear" item and over time, the threading on the pan does wear out. I, in all of my automotive knowledge and experience, have never heard of such a thing and am a bit skeptical; because the only way that i know of to strip it of its threading is to install the bolt wrong.

So tell me ClubLexus, should i call back and throw a fit of this horrible service or accept it as truth.

Last edited by Lexmex; 01-14-10 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Edited title
Old 01-14-10, 12:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol...that is DEF not a wear item. the only thing is the gasket...sounds like someone crossthreaded the drain bolt and is not taking responsibility...
Old 01-14-10, 12:36 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

^^^^That is exactly what i was thinking while i was speaking to them on the phone, but they kept insisting that it was a wear item.

The gist of what he said to me: "After 25 times of taking it on and off, something is bound to give. Since the drain bolt is steel and the pan is aluminum, it seems like the aluminium gave out"

The service manager, or whom ever i was speaking to, also noted that he was being "kind" to inform us that the threading was stripped because they strive for upstanding customer service. The guy also said that he was relaying me this confidant information from his past 15 or 25 years (forgot what he said) of service; which now really pisses me off because it seems like a crock of 'ish.

What to do now is the question.

Also, FYI, this is Bobby Rahal Lexus of Mechanicsburg, PA.
Old 01-14-10, 12:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i mean u do check for cracks and etc, but never have i heard that the oilpan is a wear item.
Old 01-14-10, 01:07 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

For it to be wear you are talking about something way well into the future when your RX is scrap metal in a junk yard somewhere and even then that means way, way, way more usual than normal oil changes (and I change my oil out a lot more than most and don't have that issue).. The pan bolt thread shouldn't be due to wear. If something is wrong it's because someone or something affected it. If someone, that means overtightening the bolt or some other foul up. If something, that means something like a sharp jolt hit to the pan (happened to my pan in Mexico though the bolt thread is still A-OK). I tend to agree with LilCelsior's comment here.
Old 01-14-10, 03:32 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

If taken good care the pan and the threads should outlast the vehicle.

Now during the service time, a mistake (way past in history to a recent incident) may require a pan replacement. Now you have to figure out when the cross threading happened and who should be blamed.

Since new threads have been cut and an oversized plug has been used, it will cause some problem at next service time .... the standard crush-washer may not be fit.

A while back I wrote about my sons SC transmission pan. Prev owner used a thinner washer (or used crush washer again). The plug is not threaded the full length [the washer area is free] and when they overtightened the plug, it went past the threads and I could not unthread it ... even when I took the pan off.

I am very particular about new washers and proper torque.

Back to issue at hand ... you can keep using the current over sized drain bolt or change the pan. If you find a used one, make sure you have it surfaced.

Salim
Old 01-14-10, 06:18 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Very unfortunate. You can't really be sure who over-tightened or cross-threaded. But I'd suspect the dealer because they gave you such a phoney story.

I think I'd try taking the pan off and taking it, along with the standard drain plug, to a really good automotive machine shop and see if they can insert an insert (not sure what they call it) so the pan can again take a normal drain plug. Or at least telephoning them to ask if they can do that. It is bound to cost less than $350.
Old 01-14-10, 08:29 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_p...ize_repair.htm

http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html

New OE oil pan is $148

Rock Auto oil pan is $66

I would probably get an oversized piggyback plug and never deal with it again.

I'm pretty sure stock is 12MM-1.25.
Old 01-15-10, 12:37 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
So, we took our RX with ~120k miles in for service (regular maintenance) and it gets returned to us with the dealer informing us that our oil drain plug is stripped of the threading. Therefore, they needed to retap the pan ($50 charged) and then, in the near future, requiring us to have a replacement installed (~$350 charge).

Our dealer explained to us that it was a "wear" item and over time, the threading on the pan does wear out. I, in all of my automotive knowledge and experience, have never heard of such a thing and am a bit skeptical; because the only way that i know of to strip it of its threading is to install the bolt wrong.

So tell me ClubLexus, should i call back and throw a fit of this horrible service or accept it as truth.
There's a word for that "thisguy". It's called hogwash! Not that stripped oil pan threads are uncommon, they aren't. It's that the knuckle heads that change the oil tighten the plug too tight and in time they strip. I am not a young man (smiles), but I don't like anyone else messing with my car so I have changed my own oil all my life, and have NEVER had a stripped pan plug. It's not from cross threading, just tightening it too tight. I purposely use a wrench that isn't real long to take out and tighten the pan plug so there's no tendency to go to tight.
Old 01-15-10, 12:04 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Thanks for the responses and this thread pretty much backed up my original thought that the service manager that i spoke with lied to cover up his a**.

I wasn't able to form a rebuttal to that ludicrous story that he told me about it being a wear item because i was just baffled as he would go to that length to make it up. He was probably assuming that i had no idea about cars and just wanted to get me off the line and off his back.

The car was always serviced by the dealer since new and it has been running great. Even with the extra cost of time and money, we always brought the car back to the lexus dealer for their techs to perform the work, but this is just ridiculous and is making us think twice about this lexus dealer.

Thanks again for the responses everyone, we'll see what the dealer does and i'll report back with the service experience of this.

Remember, this is Bobby Rahal Lexus of Mechanicsburg, PA.
Old 01-15-10, 12:40 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
Thanks for the responses and this thread pretty much backed up my original thought that the service manager that i spoke with lied to cover up his a**.

I wasn't able to form a rebuttal to that ludicrous story that he told me about it being a wear item because i was just baffled as he would go to that length to make it up. He was probably assuming that i had no idea about cars and just wanted to get me off the line and off his back.

The car was always serviced by the dealer since new and it has been running great. Even with the extra cost of time and money, we always brought the car back to the lexus dealer for their techs to perform the work, but this is just ridiculous and is making us think twice about this lexus dealer.

Thanks again for the responses everyone, we'll see what the dealer does and i'll report back with the service experience of this.

Remember, this is Bobby Rahal Lexus of Mechanicsburg, PA.
Making you think twice? You are kidding right? Would you actually give those con artists a chance to cheat you again? Remember the old saying: "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
Old 01-15-10, 12:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I've known dealers where there can be a bad mechanic and/or service rep both from experience and from others' experiences, but there can also be some outstanding people as well at that same dealership.
Old 01-15-10, 12:53 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep^^^ I think he should go directly to the owner/operator for this one. Especially since your a good customer,they should want to make you happy.So you keep coming back to them.
Old 01-15-10, 01:12 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

I'll start with speaking with the service manager to see if I can get anywhere, if not, the owner it is.

Originally Posted by artbuc
Making you think twice? You are kidding right? Would you actually give those con artists a chance to cheat you again? Remember the old saying: "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
We won't be supporting the dealership in anyway, anymore. This is just absolutely absurd. Having the service manager make up a completely false story and lying to us is just horrible.

After this is all said and done, we won't be purchasing another vehicle from them, we won't be returning, we won't be recommending them to anyone we know or strangers on the street. Sadly, Bobby Rahal has a string of dealerships.
Old 01-15-10, 01:20 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

what other lexus dealer could you go to out their?

Quick Reply: Oil drain pan a WEAR item?