RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Remote Start for this cold winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 07:20 AM
Privacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Start for this cold winter

Anyone have a remote start in their rx300?
I know I have to use one of my keys transponders for it to work
im looking at a system by viper
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+...&skuId=9347824
$200 for the remote start and install seems like a good deal

My rx takes a good 10 minutes to warm up when its 15F outside and I would rather not see my breathe in the car for those 10 minutes like I usually do..

anyone have a remote start installed? how do you like it and any advice or warnings?
Old 01-02-10, 03:57 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a remote starter installed installed in my RX but I did just have one installed in my son's Nissan Rogue. From that experience I can tell you you shouldn't have to give up one of your transponders. Remote starters have come a long ways since the early days when that was necessary. Most RS now have a bypass module for the engine immobilizer, which means you don't have to give up a key (transponder). The bypasss module works by having a unique ID just like a new key and needs to be programmed into your ECU. The RS only emits the ID when the RS is activated. That way your engine immobilizer stays working to prevent theft as before. Find a good local installer (or a few) and ask these questions.
Old 01-04-10, 08:27 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just had a remote start installed in my moms 2000 RX, just a simple lock/unlock remote start. payed 280 for the remote start, the bypass for the chip in the key, and install. works good thus far
Old 01-08-10, 08:43 PM
Xqtionrx3
Driver School Candidate

I have one on my 2002 rx300 and for most of the systems you will have to use a transponder key in the system. It is required to deactivate the factory alarm system. Probably the easiest way is to just get a cheap transponder key off of ebay, one of the ones without the keyless entry buttons on them, they are like 15 bucks and have it reprogramed for you car at a dealership. You can find the instructions for reprogramming online and if you are feeling ambitious you can do it at home but you will have to get the ley cut so it will go into the ignition. I only paid about $85 for my system, but I installed it myself.
Old 01-09-10, 06:33 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xqtionrx3
I have one on my 2002 rx300 and for most of the systems you will have to use a transponder key in the system. It is required to deactivate the factory alarm system. Probably the easiest way is to just get a cheap transponder key off of ebay, one of the ones without the keyless entry buttons on them, they are like 15 bucks and have it reprogramed for you car at a dealership. You can find the instructions for reprogramming online and if you are feeling ambitious you can do it at home but you will have to get the ley cut so it will go into the ignition. I only paid about $85 for my system, but I installed it myself.
Why are you getting the key cut to fit the ignition? Are you leaving the key in the ignition when you park the car so your remote starter works?
Old 01-10-10, 10:20 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't have to give up a transponder key if you purchase the appropriate bypass module for your vehicle. The PKALL is one of the best bypass modules I've come across in a while, the XK01 with the toyota programming is also a good bypass. Best Buy should have both of those units. No having to give up a key with either module or paying the dealer to make and program another key.
Old 01-21-10, 12:31 PM
goldfish
Driver School Candidate

I have one installed on my 2000 rx300. We installed the one with pager. Paid 400 to have it insalled. They installed the CrimeStopper brand, the transponder did not require the key. The only thing is the pager is big and the buttons are sensitive, it beeps inside my pocket, there is a way to disable it but that defeats the purpose of a pager. It also comes with a non beeper remote.
Remote start is helpful in summer here, when you get the AC running before you enter the vehicle.
Old 02-16-10, 05:38 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I have one installed on my '99 RX300, is called Super Valet 551t. It was installed as a add on the the factory alarm system, and it is program into my lexus factory remote. No extra remote for me!! Just the way I like it. I have the transponder box the 556u which is now 556uw. I tried the switch the the PKALL, but it isn't compatible with the '99 RX.
Old 02-16-10, 12:27 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I have one installed on my '99 RX300, is called Super Valet 551t. It was installed as a add on the the factory alarm system, and it is program into my lexus factory remote. No extra remote for me!! Just the way I like it. I have the transponder box the 556u which is now 556uw. I tried the switch the the PKALL, but it isn't compatible with the '99 RX.
The drawback to using the factory remote is you are limited to the distance the remote is capable of (RX is not the greatest) and there is no 2 way communication so you need line of sight to the car to confirm it has started. There are fairly inexpensive systems like Viper 4203v which are made for cars with integrated keys like the RX. It is a very small remote with just 1 button to start the car and a small LED to confirm starting. It has a range of about 2000 feet.
Old 02-24-12, 10:01 AM
my400brd1
Driver School Candidate

Default remote starter

Originally Posted by mikey00
The drawback to using the factory remote is you are limited to the distance the remote is capable of (RX is not the greatest) and there is no 2 way communication so you need line of sight to the car to confirm it has started. There are fairly inexpensive systems like Viper 4203v which are made for cars with integrated keys like the RX. It is a very small remote with just 1 button to start the car and a small LED to confirm starting. It has a range of about 2000 feet.
a local audio store near me installs viper systems i have one in my dodge truck, if i ask them for a viper 4203v for my wifes 99 rx you say it will work fine with no complications.ill ask if they've ever done a lexus before, im sure they have and should know all about the electronic issues with the keys thanks dave.
Old 02-24-12, 08:02 PM
takaiguchi
Driver School Candidate

I thought I read something about the remote starts causing the auto-headlights to not function correctly anymore.